which is better? ARC AAA Ti or McGizmo Sapphire?

purelite

Enlightened
OK,

The Arc is $25 bucks cheaper and twice as bright. BUT, I have read ALOT of bad things about ARC lately and I am a bit afraid to deal with them. I cant find their section on CPF and think I read Gransee requested it be taken down? Thats not a good sign either. I also have seen that McGizmo has changed/upgraded his version to improve on things? And Arc does their version all on their own now?

I cant find anything on the ARC version and dont see anyone talking about them anymore. I do see alot of people selling their Arc 6's though. Is ARC going down for the count? I am thinking the McGizmo is gonna be better made but it kills me its only 5 lumens. Thats too low!! I really want 10 lumens.

Any thoughts and/or first hand experience with either is greatly appreciated!!

paulr

Flashaholic
It's not clear at all what's happening with Arc or whether Gransee is still involved with it. There are some threads about the Ti Sapphire 25 in McGizmo's forum. I've bought numerous Arc lights (and several McLuxes) in the past and been satisfied in all regards, but these days I'd be more comfortable buying from Don. In either case though, these lights are not about lumens. If you want lots of lumens try a Cree-based light.

purelite

Enlightened
Yeah I know thats not their strong point. To me these lights have combined form and function to a degree not seen in many things. I want a small light to wear on a neck chain of some sort and unfortunately most have a hole for split ring on the side whereas the Arc and Sapphire have a fantastic setup allowing for absolute dead plum vertical hanging. They both look great and for an EDC that you will always have on you I cant see anything better or cooler looking.

I know they arent gonna light up the neighborhood but to me 5 lumens is VERY low which is cool for long runtime but 10 lumens to me would be worth the sacrifice in runtime for a general purpose find the keyhole type light . But , its just the uncertainty of ARC. I saw a pic os an ARC6 for sale that looked like they had dropped it in the garbage disposal before annodizing it and that is how ARC sent it to the customer!!!! What does that say about what ese they might let go out the door to some poor unsuspecting soul. ? Ya dont suppose McGizmo can do one briter do you?This is realy a dillema for me . Its alot of money either way but I have to have one of these. Dont seem to be any used Arc Tis out there right now either and the McGizmos hold their price almost to full retail it seemsso I might as well go new there also.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... I want a small light to wear on a neck chain of some sort and unfortunately most have a hole for split ring on the side whereas the Arc and Sapphire have a fantastic setup allowing for absolute dead plum vertical hanging. They both look great and for an EDC that you will always have on you I cant see anything better or cooler looking....

Have you considered a USA-made Peak Eiger or Peak Matterhorn? You can order them with the same style lug as you describe.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
OK,

The Arc is $25 bucks cheaper and twice as bright. BUT, I have read ALOT of bad things about ARC lately and I am a bit afraid to deal with them. I cant find their section on CPF and think I read Gransee requested it be taken down? Thats not a good sign either. I also have seen that McGizmo has changed/upgraded his version to improve on things? And Arc does their version all on their own now?

I cant find anything on the ARC version and dont see anyone talking about them anymore. I do see alot of people selling their Arc 6's though. Is ARC going down for the count? I am thinking the McGizmo is gonna be better made but it kills me its only 5 lumens. Thats too low!! I really want 10 lumens.

I was the one that started the last thread about the Arc and the thread was locked I don't want this to happen here so I won't get into everything that happen. I have a McGizmo Haiku and on the low setting its rated at 6 lumens and I use that setting more than any other settings around the house I think you would be very happy with a Sapphire at 5 lumens. The Arc would be more trouble than its worth unless you get lucky and they ship you one when they say they will. Don had my light to me in three days and its the nicest light I have ever had and considering the quality of the lights Don makes I think its safe to say it will last most people a lifetime. I am no expert on lights and this light at 6 lumens and the quality of the beam it seems like its brighter than what it is, if my Haiku did not cover all my needs I would buy a Sapphire 25 in a minute. I might anyways just because I think its a useful little light and they are built to last.

rider

Newly Enlightened
OK,

I love my little Arc AAAs, but... I'm not about to deal with them on new lights with all of their current business problems.

However, this little dilemma had a happy ending- I looked into Peak's new offerings, like the Eiger.

You have your choice of 8 brightness levels, about half a dozen different battery tubes, choice of metals (Al, Brass, Stainless, and sometimes Ti), a pocket body, lugged body, keychain body, etc.

Just be very careful- the Peaks have great build quality, but are priced extremely reasonably, and you may find yourself building a collection before you know it... :huh:

Oh, and their website is nearly useless, but if you call, you'll get all the information you could want.

purelite

Enlightened
I have considered the Peaks but as you stated, the website is crap. I could call but ordering something by phone with just a verbal description of the product kinda sucks also. I cant see what I am buying. I have thought of them many times though. Those Sapphires and Arcs just look so damn good.

So it seems with Arc its not as much quality of product but lack of customer service and they dont actually ship the lights for weeks? I would definitley call them and not place the order unless they stated verbally that it was ready to ship. Maybe its not worth the hassle.

Can anyone say if McGizmo has definitley made design changes to his Sapphires? I read talk of an extra oring around the led and a cpl other things in addition to the driver being different.

paulr

Flashaholic
The light most directly comparable to the Ti Sapphires may be Photon Fanatic's 1aaa version of La Petite Killer. It's titanium, in the same price ballpark as the Sapphires, and uses a quad die 5mm led for somewhat more lumens and better tint, though at higher power consumption and reduced battery efficiency. Like the Sapphires it has a unique custom look, and different finishes (e.g. splash ano) have been available at times. I have the original LPK (SR44 powered Nichia GS) and I just love it. I've seen some good BST deals for the AAA version and have been very tempted.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred has a few splash anno'd killers available at the moment I believe. Plus the incredible DLC (diamond like coating) finish that is super hard and a deep black. I've got one of each! :thumbsup:

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I have considered the Peaks but as you stated, the website is crap. I could call but ordering something by phone with just a verbal description of the product kinda sucks also. I cant see what I am buying. I have thought of them many times though. Those Sapphires and Arcs just look so damn good.

So it seems with Arc its not as much quality of product but lack of customer service and they dont actually ship the lights for weeks? I would definitley call them and not place the order unless they stated verbally that it was ready to ship. Maybe its not worth the hassle.

Can anyone say if McGizmo has definitley made design changes to his Sapphires? I read talk of an extra oring around the led and a cpl other things in addition to the driver being different.

Just a word of warning many people have ordered Arc's including myself and were told they were in stock only to have a long wait and then when we got the light it was defective, but remember these were the Arc 6 not the AAA so you can always try. I would stick with the McGizmo or the Photon Fanatic is a nice light also.

GregWormald

Enlightened
I've had great discussions with Don, and he has been very forthcoming with information, so I suggest an email.

Practically, the difference between 6 and 10 lumens would be barely perceptible. Our vision is logarithmic.

As well, you never quite know what you are getting out the front, compared to the publicity.

FWIW I have a modified ArcAAA that puts out both 5 and 35 lumens, and the 5 is perfect for close-up use in dark places.

Greg

scout24

Flashaholic
I've owned and carried two Sapphires now since they came out, they are great lights. Dropped, stepped on, don't miss a beat. Absolutely beautiful even floody beam. More than bright enough for what they are meant to do. One of mine is a Mule with the high CR-I Nichia, which is not as bright to my eyes as the original, but is still plenty. Go with Don's version, you'll love it. :D

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the McGizmo Sapphire. Without any hesitation, I recommend Don's lights.

It may be more $$$, but it has a new circuit which regulates the light for a longer output (and lower output). Also, the 3mm LED is far superior to the 5mm for keychain duties (has a wider, more flood-like beam).

Lastly, there has been quite a number of complaints with recent customers of ARC. They have received faulty flashlights, not received orders, and been lied to on numerous occasions in regards to when their lights were shipped out. I would stay clear of ARC until this is all resolved.

choombak

Enlightened
I recently had some very good dealings with Arc - they have improved their CS a lot, and have a new rep, Lucy, who is very efficient. I'd suggest writing to lucy at arcflashlight dot com, and check if they have the Ti Arc in stock. I got a Ti Arc around the same time you posted this thread (somehow missed it), so it should be in stock. :thumbsup:

Dan FO

Enlightened
For this type of light I like my Mako. Bulletproof and tritium in the slot. ;)

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I'd go with the McGizmo. Firstly, it's a custom light. I'm thinking of getting one just so I can say that I have a McGizmo !!! And secondly, it has better regulation.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this type of light I like my Mako. Bulletproof and tritium in the slot. ;)

i'm with Dan FO:

if you can find a Mako and don't mind the ringy beam, its as tough as the original Arc AAA and has an incredibly long runtime:

...with NiMH (800 mA): 44 hours
...with Alkaline: 63 hours
...with Lithium: 79 hours