Samsung 3000 mAh 18650 Testing

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Jasonck08 sent me one of these cells to check out. Over the past 2 months I have been running it through a series of tests and have found that it is a very good cell.

Let's get into the details...

The cell came with a protection circuit, so I charged it up and ran some tests on it. As you can see, the protection circuit tripped during the 4 amp discharge.

Capacity was lower than the labeled 3000 mAh (it actually came in at 2496 when discharged at 0.5 amps), but more on this later.

Here is the graph of this protected cell.

SamsungICR1865030AProtectedatVariou.gif

The specification for these cells calls for charging to 4.35 volts, and the 3000 mAh capacity is rated at a 0.2 amp discharge rate with the cell being discharged down to 2.75 volts.

Following the specification, I ended up with 2999 mAh. Wow, not bad.

At 4 amps, I noticed the cell was warming up, and it got hot during the 6 amp discharge. It would probably not be a good idea to continually discharge at 6 amps or above, although the cell would probably handle it a few times.

I stopped my testing at 6 amps because I wanted to determine if the cell could really handle being charged to 4.35 volts without damage to the cell.

Here is the graph of the bare cell.

SamsungICR1865030ABareatVariousRate.gif

After this testing was complete, I then ran the cell through 20 charge/discharge cycles charging at 3 amps to 4.35 volts, and discharging at 3 amps to 2.75 volts. At the end of this cycling, I ran another discharge at 0.2 amps, and it came out to the same as the first discharge at 0.2 amps, so no damage was done.

I then charged the cell up to 4.35 volts and let it sit on the shelf fully charged for 2 weeks. The discharge at 0.2 amps showed only a very slight change in capacity but not enough to indicate much damage.

At 6 amps of discharge the midpoint voltage was about 3.3 volts. It is nice if a Li-Ion cell can maintain a midpoint voltage of 3.5 volts, but at higher loads, the voltage drops off. The discharge rate for this cell holding a midpoint voltage of 3.5 volts was 4 amps. The mid point voltage during the 0.2 amp discharge was 3.85 volts.

These cells give you about 84% of labeled capacity when charged to 4.2 volts, which should greatly extend their cycle life, or full capacity if you have the ability to charge to 4.35 volts. You will have to contact Jason to figure out how to get a hold of some of these cells. The protection circuit adds some size to the cell. The bare cell is a typical 18650 cell. Jason has the details on the protection circuit, but it would be ideal if it could be set for a discharge rate of 6 amps.

All in all this is a strong cell. I am not sure what the advertised cycle life is, but I put over 50 cycles on it and there is very little change in capacity. I may have to try some higher discharge rates to see where things begin to break down, but on the other hand I may just use the cell in one of my lights...

Tom

paulr

Flashaholic
I wonder how to charge a cell to 4.35 volts without special equipment--most li ion chargers, including programmable hobby chargers that I know of, are preset to 4.2 volts. Maybe some fancy ones allow adjusting this, but for example my Triton doesn't and I doubt if AW-style drop-in chargers do.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how to charge a cell to 4.35 volts without special equipment--most li ion chargers, including programmable hobby chargers that I know of, are preset to 4.2 volts. Maybe some fancy ones allow adjusting this, but for example my Triton doesn't and I doubt if AW-style drop-in chargers do.
A bench power supply could do this. For some this could count as special equipment, but for the really dedicated hobbyist it might be a standard item...

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have been testing similar chemistry cells for the past few months and it just looked like Samsung has taken an aggressive step to raise the charging voltage from 4.30V from 4.35V in order to increase the holding capacity by a few percentage points. The Samsung 2800mAH cell and similar Sanyo UR18650ZT cells both have a charging voltage of 4.30V as well. These are still LiCo based cells even though another element has been added in the formulation to increase the capacity and the electrolyte will break down @4.5V emitting heat and gas. The biggest draw back is the requirement of a different charger with a higher ending voltage of 4.35V and the associated danger of unsuspecting users charging regular 4.2V cells in it. BTW, these type of cells are designed to make packs with an optimal 1C discharge.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
A bench power supply could do this. For some this could count as special equipment, but for the really dedicated hobbyist it might be a standard item...

Well there's more to it than that, you are supposed to charge at constant current til the cell reaches a certain voltage, then switch to constant voltage charging til the current drops to a certain level, then stop charging, preferably while monitoring temperature all along. IOW you want a charger, not a bench supply, unless you want to sit in front of it monitoring progress and switching settings at just the right moment.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Well there's more to it than that, you are supposed to charge at constant current til the cell reaches a certain voltage, then switch to constant voltage charging til the current drops to a certain level, then stop charging, preferably while monitoring temperature all along. IOW you want a charger, not a bench supply, unless you want to sit in front of it monitoring progress and switching settings at just the right moment.

A good bench power supply has no problem doing the CC/CV charge. It is only the shut off at the end of charge that is missing and that does not have to be very precise.

Milan

Newly Enlightened
We might finally have a use for overcharging Trustfire TR-001 charger. Just let it sit in the charger for a day and (watch the fire ;) ) - and 4.3 reached. No really, it's safe using the 12V side plug.
But something tells me that people using these hi-tech cells don't use cheap chinese chargers.

zelda

Enlightened
I couple of month ago, I saw graphs from 2800 to 3000mAh cells. From 1A and higher discharge rate, the capacity fall quickly. --> A 2400mAh cell did a better job.

This Samsung cells hold the capacity considerably better at higher rate.

Some $$$ hobby-charger have a "free slot" for programming special batteries.
I use a Futaba cdr5000 Ni-Mh charger in manuall mode, can charge any chemistry with CC/CV in 0.001V & 0.001A increments with a couple of shutdown options.

zelda

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased Samsung ICR18650 2800mAh cells six months ago and finally have a charger that can eventually "overcharge" up to 4.3V (soshine SC-S1 V2). I can confirm, that when charged to ~4.2V these cells have only around 2500mAh. But when charged up to 4.3V they are pretty good.

mWh are comparable to Panasonic NCR18650 2900mAh cells. The PTC kicks in at 10A discharge.

sams280043veng.png

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cell came with a protection circuit, so I charged it up and ran some tests on it. As you can see, the protection circuit tripped during the 4 amp discharge.

I'm assuming this protection circuit was added on, and not provided by Samsung, correct? If it was provided by Samsung, it would be the first instance of a Li-Ion cell manufacturer offering a Li-Ion cell with a protection circuit, that I'm aware of.

Dave

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the post Tom. And its good to see that its a solid cell.

As stated above, its probably not that ideal for most people because of the increased charging voltage of 4.35v (requireing a special charger).

One advantage though is if one bought this cell and only charged it up to 4.20-4.25 (what most cheaper charger charge to) the cycle life may be significantly increased.

Instead of getting 300-400 cycles, one might get 500-600 @ 4.2v cutoff.

Bapman

Newly Enlightened
Hello Tom,

I'm a newbie.

Do you think that this spec of charging to 4.35v is the next
evolutionary step for Li-Ion batteries,with more cell manufacturer going
toward this direction?

For the 4.20v Li-Ion ,2600mah(18650) will be the maximum (real) capacity?

Thanks.

Ben.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm thinking that the newer high cap Li-Ions that can charge to 4.35 will have to have had some internal changes to chemistry/construction of the cells.

Bill

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the big deal? Set voltage to 4.2 (or 4.35V in this case), set current to what you want to use for the CC part, connect cell and it'll do everything automatically.

And then there are those of us with two of them, stacked one on top of the other. :p

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ben,

Welcome to CPF.

I think that the 4.35 volt cells will be used in special applications. If we can get decent cycle life charging to 4.35 volts, and get an additional 12% out of the same sized package, this will result in longer run time. The charging system on a computer, for example, can be modified to charge to 4.35 volts without too much effort and cost.

If this chemistry mix is stable, then others may also choose to do something similar. I don't have all the details on this chemistry, so I really don't know.

I think that Li-Ion 18650 cells will settle out at around 2600 mAh of capacity, but I have been wrong before. I don't think the manufacturers can cram more material into the cells, so improvements will have to come by changes in chemistry.

Tom

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading and seeing that they think they can cram like 3500-4000mAH into a 18650 in the next couple of years...

Also because the voltage of these newer cells is higher, we have to keep in mind that the energy density is more then just 2600 vs 3000mAH. The Samsung should have a higher voltage throughout the discharge curve then most traditional 4.2v LiCo cells.

Panasonic has a 3100mAH 18650, but it has not been mass produced yet.

Tom, have you done much testing yet on the Sanyo 2600's I sent you??

klorsey

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,what do you think would be a good bench power supply for charging things like these Samsung 3000mAh 1850's (to 4.35v) as well as:

NiMH: AAA,AA,C,D and 9 volt batteries.

Lithium-ion+Lipo's: 18650's and similar for use in torches,9 volt Lithium-polymer's.

I'm interested in the cheapest bench power supply that could do these jobs properly and safely.

Any advice appreciated.klorsey

Last edited: