Rebel Maglite 3D Lumens

Cole07

Enlightened
I have recently picked up a maglite 3D cell with the rebel LED in it. On the front of the package it says 104 lumens but i was wondering, is this really right? What do you guys think it actually is? I've heard all the way up to 160 and I'd really like to get a solid answer. Thanks :D

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
does it say "FL-1" on the package near where the lumens are advertised?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
it means those values are in accordance with the ANSI/NEMA FL-1 Flashlight Basic Performance Standard

for brightness, that means it's 104 OTF lumens, as measured as the average peak value for a minimum of 3 samples between 30 seconds to 2 minutes of initial continuous operation.

Cole07

Enlightened
What is ANSI/NEMA? Do any other manufacturers use this standard such as Fenix or Surefire?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
ANSI/NEMA are standards regulatory groups. FL-1 is a voluntary standard created over the past several years and recently released to provide a common method for advertising key specifications in a method that is easy for consumers to compare products.

other companies do use it, but it's not mandatory.

some of the smaller US-based companies popular on cpf do follow it, but the expense is too prohibitive to be able to actually advertise it on the package.

Cole07

Enlightened
Hmm, so I'm guessing that what it says on the package is accurate then? I just can't imagine only having 104 lumens but being able to throw 289 meters... Sounds like something is not right. It also says that it throws 289 meters and I believe it because this beam goes FOREVER, but for some reason only 104 lumens doesn't sound correct.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
throw comes from high lux, not high lumens. in this case, high lux comes from the massive reflector.

Cole07

Enlightened
I always thought that lux and lumens were close to the same thing... So a light with more lux will throw further?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
I always thought that lux and lumens were close to the same thing... So a light with more lux will throw further?

they measure totally different things. lumens is total output, lux is a measure of peak beam intensity.

10 lumens in a pencil thin beam will easily out-throw 100 lumens of pure flood.

Cole07

Enlightened
What would happen if I put an aesphereic lens on it? Would lux and lumens increase, decrease, or stay the same?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
lumens NEVER increase, they are max at the emitter, and go down from there.

an aspheric (have to match the right lens with the right light with the right emitter) will increase lux but vastly decrease lumens.

Cole07

Enlightened
Yea Ragiska seems to know what he is talking about and I hope he keeps replying cause I've already learned a lot in just a couple of hours.

Cole07

Enlightened
I've always kind of wanted to put an aspheric lens on a maglite since they throw like crazy without one. Just imagine what it would be like with one. :twothumbs

Cole07

Enlightened
Would would account for losing lumens from the emmitter to going out the front? Would that also end up in a decrease in lux?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
with an aspheric you would loose maybe 50% of the lumens of the rebel (a Cree would be less) as much of the light would be lost inside the bezel. only the light that hits the lens would be sent out the front, but what light does hit the lens is turned into pure throw.

you would have to make sure to get an aspheric with the correct diameter and focal length for your light.

there are a number of threads on how to assemble aspheric mags which should help you.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
slightly, but in the case of an aspheric, the rebel has a wider emission pattern, so more of the light is lost by hitting the bezel. the XR-E has a narrower beam pattern, so more of the light hits the lens instead of being wasted in the bezel.

Cole07

Enlightened
Hmm, in terms of throw though, my maglite would out throw a fenix tk12 even though its rated at 280 lumens with a cree xp-g?