Need a torch with a floody beam

doubleE

Newly Enlightened
I'm in love with the smooth, floody beam of my e2e. Are there any LED lights that have the same beam? I need a torch for indoor/closeup work.

L4? - From pictures and reviews, it looks like the L4 might have a similar beam, although I'm wondering if it'll be too bright. For reference, my Pelican 2360 has a hotspot that's too bright for indoors and closeup work.

E2L? - The new one has a collimating lens, so it throws further. From pictures, it looks like it's not what I want.

I'm open to all suggestions - it doesn't have to be a Surefire.

Thanks for your help!

-doubleE

Edit - LOVE my new 4Sevens Quarks!!

Thank you all for your input! I bought two Quark AA2's (1 cool white, 1 warm white), and I LOVE the beams! Just like you all said, the beams look exactly like my Surefire E2e. I think SuperTrouper was right - what I mean by a "floody" beam is one with a large, soft hotspot. These lights have the "wall of light" beam that I'm looking for. Especially in Max brightness, they light up the entire wall of my living room.

And a side note about the Warm White - it's VERY warm. It's actually warmer than my E2e. It doesn't look like an LED at all; it looks like an incandescent. Unbelievable! As the 4Sevens website states, the Warm light does have 28% less lumens, and my naked eye agrees. It does appear significantly dimmer than the Cool White, and not just because of color tint.

Anyway, thank you CPF members for a spot-on recommendation. I'm very happy with my purchase.

-doubleE

Last edited:

COAST

Enlightened
All the new 4Sevens Quark R5's have NICE floody beams except for the Turbos.... I highly reccomend the Quarks!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you would like something with an unfocused aspheric like the dereelight NOHS or one of the zoomable aspherics like the romisen rc-c6/c8/29 or one of the various DX push/pull aspherics.

Another option would probably be an MC-E based light.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take the 1st generation Surefire L4's "wall of light" and bump it up a couple times in brightness... You get the Quark (non-turbo) light output.

Nearly identical but with a brighter more defined yet very broad center with plenty of side spill.

+1 on the Quarks!

COAST

Enlightened
Also, like sol-leks mentioned, MC-E lights will be great flood lights more than often

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Small OP reflector with an XPG is going to flood more than throw.
Quark and eagletac are a great starting point.
The elektrolumens DeCree-XPG has a nice floody beam with a slightly intense spot.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
zebralight has some nice floody headlamps (h30, h60 ect), pure flood, no hotspot. I used my h30 as a mini angelhead light with the clip mounted. Now I use a malkoff little twisty with a m60wlf for work/indoor. Its perfect:twothumbs

scout24

Flashaholic
McGizmo Aleph McClicky mule with your choice of light engines from the Sandwich Shoppe. I believe the Mules are still available from Don, and the Shoppe has a nice selection of LE's that will work. Not much better for close up work.

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
I second the Malkoff M60WLF. It's incredibly useful for indoor/close-up.

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened
For varied indoor close-up work, I would want levels.. I use my Nailbender Linger Special around the house every day, it will work in any p60 host.

When I need to get really close-up, I simply switch to a lower level to avoid reflection....and if you think one xp-g is floody, try two.

I also picked a neutral tint, which works as well indoors as it does out.

PBX

fyrstormer

Banned
I haven't found a light yet that really works well for up-close and distance work. When I'm working on something up-close I need a small light that I can easily hold in my teeth that won't bump against what I'm working on, and small lights aren't good for throwing a long distance on occasions when that's what you need. I'd recommend getting a 1x or 2x123 light with a pocket clip for distance, and for up-close work, well, there's always this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/276629 :thumbsup:

GreySave

Enlightened
If you are looking for pure flood the 4Sevens RGB can supply it. You have multiple levels in a pure flood light so you should find levels suitable for close work and moderate distance lighting as well. Throw is limited with this light and it does also provide read, blue, and green output.

Also available in neutral tint which I find much more pleasant up close.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd vote for the zebralight headlamps for close up work, either AA or the CR123 models perhaps in warm tints to better differentiate colors on cables etc.

Then get another light for longer distance work. Perhaps in the same cell type as the headlamp so you don't have to carry different spare cells.

headophile

Enlightened
I'd vote for the zebralight headlamps for close up work, either AA or the CR123 models perhaps in warm tints to better differentiate colors on cables etc.

Then get another light for longer distance work. Perhaps in the same cell type as the headlamp so you don't have to carry different spare cells.

+1 on zebralight. i want one myself.