Thrunite Catapult V1/V2 Owners

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a version 1 Catapult and I am very happy with it. I have never used it with the 2x18650 extension in practise, as I fine the single cell version, more holster friendly and adequate illumination for any task.

However, you say 'camping and hiking' in your question, I see these two as completely separate issues. I doubt that the catapult would be good for any campsite activity - you'll want a low level floody beam, a headtorch etc. For hiking at night, I suppose it would be great for long distance spotting or navigation, but it is mostly throw, and without much spill, close terrain navigation would not be at an optimum with this torch. Again, go for a throwy flooder. I tend to use my headtorch for night hikes too ( Zebralight 501 - old style ), with a holstered thrower for those things I mentioned earlier.

Sure enough the Catapult is one of my favourite lights, it's just not what you want for those activities. Mine has a smooth reflector, maybe someone with the Orange Peel type can chime in about the increased flood?

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
here the same,

have a VERSION 1 and i'm really happy with this.

I also using it with 1 AW 18650 2600Mah and it is BRIGHT.

The beam is perfect and through it is amazing.

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Dang.. I was just about to purchase a TK30 until I checked out the Catapult V2. I already knew the beam wouldn't be ideal for what i"m going to use it for, but was hoping you guys would talk me into it. I guess I could buy the TK30 now and get a Catapult later.

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
Dang.. I was just about to purchase a TK30 until I checked out the Catapult V2. I already knew the beam wouldn't be ideal for what i"m going to use it for, but was hoping you guys would talk me into it. I guess I could buy the TK30 now and get a Catapult later.

TK30 waste of money and batteries. you need 999999999 batteries.

Thrunite Catapult V1 one or two batteries.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I was wondering if your Catapults had enough spill in the beam for camping and hiking.

Absolutely not in my opinion - I think you will be disappointed.

I like this light, but it is not very comfortable to use for hiking, as it has very little spill. Seriously, in a dark wooded area, if I have the beam pointed far enough out to see ahead of me, I really can't see what's at my feet at all - there is that little spill. The settings on the V1 (which is what I have) are such that only the low setting is really usable if I want to point the beam near enough to me to illuminate the terrain at my feet without blinding myself. The trouble is that this is a big flashlight to carry for the "low" setting.

The medium or high settings are just blinding when you use them at your feet. (I think the V2 would be improved in this case - the low is brighter, but shouldn't be totally blinding, and medium brightness and the strobe are gone.)

Anyway, great light, awesome for spotting. Surprisingly (at least to me) not very good for walking around.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
TK30 waste of money and batteries. you need 999999999 batteries.

Thrunite Catapult V1 one or two batteries.

I think you're refering to TK40 which indeed uses a lot of batteries. TK30 can work also on one or two 18650 cells. It can also run on primaries, which makes it more flexible flashlight when it comes to power sources.

As for the topic. Catapult is a thrower. It's great on high distances. For camping and hiking you'd want something with wider beam. TK30 will be better in this category.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the catapult v1, and the spill is not wide, but it certainly is bright!

never used a tk40 or tk30 but have heard only good things about its beam.

have you considered the olight M30. its smaller, and has a nice wide, and bright spill, throw is probably the least compared to most other MC-E lights. the tiablo Ace-G seems like something you should consider as well.

carmen

Newly Enlightened
Have you consider to get a smaller light, like a P3D, with a diffuser tip?

I havent tried it, but i believe it would be great for camping.

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

I already have a quark 123*2 r5 tactical and eagletac t20c2 mkii. I just wanted a bigger and badder light to take on a camping trip coming up in a couple of weeks.

Let's say you had the two lights that I have already. Would you still suggest that I pick up a tk30?

Igor Porto

Enlightened
The TK30 is not a big leap compared to what you already have, go with the Catapult + OP reflector :thumbsup: you never know when you'll need to light up a trail or something bigger :D