E1B 110 lumen vs RRT-0

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a SureFire E1B Friday just in time to take it camping for the weekend. The closest light I have to compare it too was a Jetbeam RRT-0. There was a white fence across the river from me at about 75 yards. Then a tall tree down river at about 150 yards as targets.

Now I will say I have issue with Jetbeam as there warranty sucks but I have liked the form and function of the RRT-0. Well after this shoot out I will be posting for sale the RRT-0 in the MP.

The hot spot on the E1B was twice as large as the RRT-0 using the fence as reference. All bystanders (non flashaholic's) when asked which light was brighter picked the E1B. Too my eye's the hot spot was the same brightness but the E1B covered twice the area. The RRT-0 did have more spill light but neither light excels in this area.

On the long-range target neither light did a good job lighting it but the RRT-0 had a very slight edge.

Now everyone always claims cost that SureFire is just too expensive. Well the E1B was $111 dollars shipped and the RRT-0 was $85 shipped. So for $26 I get a light that is just as bright or brighter and if anything ever happens it will get fixed for free and within a reasonable time frame.

youreacrab

Enlightened
curious if your E1B came in "80 lumen" or "110 lumen" packaging. my understanding is that current E1B's are 110 lumen but the packaging has not been updated yet.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
curious if your E1B came in "80 lumen" or "110 lumen" packaging. my understanding is that current E1B's are 110 lumen but the packaging has not been updated yet.

Hi yes it was in the 80 lumen package but the dealer wrote 110 lumen on the package. I also e-mail them and they told me that SureFire reassured them they where 110 lumens.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi yes it was in the 80 lumen package but the dealer wrote 110 lumen on the package. I also e-mail them and they told me that SureFire reassured them they where 110 lumens.

I'd be curious to know the difference to my officially 80 Lumen E1B which I got two months ago!

I bet that difference would be hardly noticeable and not at all if you'd not know which is which... :whistle:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be curious to know the difference to my officially 80 Lumen E1B which I got two months ago!

I bet that difference would be hardly noticeable and not at all if you'd not know which is which... :whistle:

With a little deduction I disagree. My Jet 1 Pro is suppose to be the same brightness as the RRT-0 according to what I've read. Now having said that; I can honestly say my Jet 1 Pro was a lot brighter than my E1B 80 Lumen I bought over a year ago. I'm betting the the 110 lumen version is noticably brighter than the 80 Lumen version.

Bill

youreacrab

Enlightened

my new "110 lumen E1B" (packaging marked 80) produces roughly the same output in a ceiling bounce test as my Malkoff M60L (140+/- lumens) and noticeably more output than my Malkoff M60LL (80+/- lumens).

can anyone with an old E1B make the same comparison?

Last edited:

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
With a little deduction I disagree. My Jet 1 Pro is suppose to be the same brightness as the RRT-0 according to what I've read. Now having said that; I can honestly say my Jet 1 Pro was a lot brighter than my E1B 80 Lumen I bought over a year ago. I'm betting the the 110 lumen version is noticably brighter than the 80 Lumen version.

That's not necessarily a good comparison. I have both the RRT-0 and the Jet-I Pro, and the Jet-I is noticeably brighter (on 14500) than the RRT-0 (also on 14500). Note that this is even with an OP reflector in the Jet-I and a SMO in the RRT-0, so it's not a matter of a more concentrated hotspot, as the hotspot in the Jet-I is both larger and brighter.

IMHO, the RRT-0 is a great idea that is rather poorly executed. I probably won't sell mine, though, because I have the version 1 with all the bugs, and who'd want that? :sick2:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not necessarily a good comparison. I have both the RRT-0 and the Jet-I Pro, and the Jet-I is noticeably brighter (on 14500) than the RRT-0 (also on 14500). Note that this is even with an OP reflector in the Jet-I and a SMO in the RRT-0, so it's not a matter of a more concentrated hotspot, as the hotspot in the Jet-I is both larger and brighter.

IMHO, the RRT-0 is a great idea that is rather poorly executed. I probably won't sell mine, though, because I have the version 1 with all the bugs, and who'd want that? :sick2:

How what I said has anything to do with what you said confuses me. Lumens is Lumens, I don't care about hot spots. Most people with both lights have stated that both the Jet 1 Pro v3 and RRT-0 put out roughly the same amount of lumens. IF thats true they are much brighter than my original 80 lumen E1B. If his 110 Lumen E1B is the same brightness (give or take) as his RRT-0, then simple deduction says the 110 lumen version E1B is noticably brighter than the 80 lumen version.

Hope that clears up what I was saying.

Bill

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
How what I said has anything to do with what you said confuses me.

Unless I'm mistaken, you were basically comparing light "1" to light "2" to light "3" to light "4", in order to reach a conclusion regarding "1" and "4". I'm not necessarily saying that I doubt your conclusions, just that lights "2" and "3" are not always equivalent, even if their specs are the same. My (admittedly singular) samples are nowhere near equivalent, which would throw off your comparison.

Essentially, you said: E1B-80 < Jet-I, Jet-I = RRT-0, RRT-0 < E1B-110; therefore E1B-80 < E1B-110 (a perfectly valid conclusion if the comparisons are accurate).

I'm saying that, in my experience, Jet-I > RRT-0, so it's possible that your conclusion is flawed.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
How what I said has anything to do with what you said confuses me. Lumens is Lumens, I don't care about hot spots. Most people with both lights have stated that both the Jet 1 Pro v3 and RRT-0 put out roughly the same amount of lumens. IF thats true
well grunscga has stated that his are not so your "if" is questionable in at least one case.

they are much brighter than my original 80 lumen E1B. If his 110 Lumen E1B is the same brightness (give or take) as his RRT-0, then simple deduction says the 110 lumen version E1B is noticably brighter than the 80 lumen version.
you've certainly made a simple deduction........ but it may or may not be flawed since you're comparing one to another to another based on word of mouth without actually seeing them all in a comparitive situation nor knowing if the assumptions upon which your deductions are based are actually true.

Dan FO

Enlightened
The original E1B 80 lumens lights were tested in an an integrating sphere at 110-113 lumens. ;) The TIR optic that the E1B uses also makes a big difference in focusing those lumens.

youreacrab

Enlightened
The original E1B 80 lumens lights were tested in an an integrating sphere at 110-113 lumens. ;) The TIR optic that the E1B uses also makes a big difference in focusing those lumens.

have link to this? mrgman's test showed 85~ lumens i believe.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
well grunscga has stated that his are not so your "if" is questionable in at least one case.

Agreed.

you've certainly made a simple deduction........ but it may or may not be flawed since you're comparing one to another to another based on word of mouth without actually seeing them all in a comparitive situation nor knowing if the assumptions upon which your deductions are based are actually true.

I also agree with this statement. I am making some of my conclusions strickly based off what I've read and not my own testing. So your right it could be flawed. However I have read that the lumen output of both Jetbeams is pretty close in more than one place, even if his appears different. So I say, I don't have to see a hammer fall to know that it fell. So while I can agree with your statement I stand by my simple deduction.

I guess we will have to wait for a comparison of the new E1B to the old to see if my deduction is correct. I hope so, I would like to see a much brighter E1B than the one I had. AND if my deduction is wrong I say we take me out and beat me with a buggy whip.

Bill

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
In my country they won't even let me whip the horses these days, let alone people so I betetr leave my whip on my mother's old sulky where it belongs.

It seems that all is never as it seems with jetbeams (please excuse the amateur rhyme) - I actually have two Jet-1 v3's purchased within three weeks of each other from the same place and one is noticeably brighter than the other so who knows what compares with what......

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my E1B to the lake this weekend as was blown away with it's performance.
On low it lit up a cabin two lots down, on high, I could see right into the cabin. Luckily they weren't home as it would have been like a plane flying into their front yard.:crackup:

I don't have any experience with the E1B, but from what I have seen with some other Surefire's with a TIR, there is very little spill. Contrast that with the RRT-0; for it being a thrower it still has a very large amount of spill. I think that may be deceiving you and others because the hotspot is bigger.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my country they won't even let me whip the horses these days, let alone people so I betetr leave my whip on my mother's old sulky where it belongs.

I would like to go to your country someday. I had a friend who took a sabbatical there for a month, he couldn't say enough good things when he got back. Just to see a Kangaroo jump in person in the wild would have to bring a smile to your face.

Bill