Malkoff vs others (Output)

fishx65

Enlightened
I've got a bunch of Solarforce and DX R2 drops that I've been running in a few different 1-18650 hosts. I love the beam pattern and output of these and they have never failed me. I've been reading fantastic things about Malkoff drops on here for a long time. My questions are: BESIDES DURABILITY, are some of the Malkoffs a ton brighter then what I'm currently using? Is there a Malkoff that would out throw my R2's by a long shot?

Would like to hear from a few of you that have gone from the less expensive drops to a Malkoff.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Nope.

I just love all my Malkoff units but are they top throwers or highest output, no.
A Malkoff is one of the few drop-in's I fully trust but you can get more throw with an XR-E smooth reflector Deerelight and you can get more output from quite a few others. What you can't get is the overall lifespan from great heat management but I digress, you want details beyond reliability.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Are some of the Malkoffs a ton brighter then what I'm currently using?
The M60/30 is around ~220L (give or take)
The P61 is somewhere around ~250L (give or take)

Is there a Malkoff that would out throw my R2's by a long shot?
No... at least not by a "long shot".

Would like to hear from a few of you that have gone from the less expensive drops to a Malkoff.

As a fan of the M60, and some cheaper drop ins alike, I have given you my honest answers to the 2 questions you have raised. I love my M60 drop ins, but its not output or throw distance that makes them great.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Agreed. I have several Dereelight and wolf eyes drop ins that out throw my Malkoffs (and they are very good quality in their own right), but would not choose them over the Malkoffs on any day. Out of the Malkoffs, the M60LL does it all for me and I'll even go as far as to say that I prefer the M60 over the M61 now that I have both. (I like the tighter spot on the M60).

ginaz

Enlightened
the M60 in an MD2 host is the light i keep coming back to, but the M61 is growing on me

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I spent a short time once switching between both (most of my use on the M60 tho), I got somewhat more throw with a Solarforce "R2" but greatly preferred my M60 due to the beam pattern - the diffuse hotspot from the optic was less distracting than the somewhat brighter 'bouncing ball' of the reflectored module.

And I'm going to avoid going into tint and build quality.

To put it in perspective, a while back I sold off the "R2" for $9 and I just sold the Malkoff M60 for $67. A fair price for both IMO.

Last edited:

Reaper

Enlightened
Most (if not all) of my use is close up to short range and for me the 20 degree beam Malkoff's is ideal, like the M30F and M61. My M60L's 8 degree has too much of a close-up bounce back or spot which is distracting. We'll see how the M61L and M61LL works out when they arrive but I mainly wanted them for their longer run-times.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
To put it in perspective, a while back I sold off the "R2" for $9 and I just sold the Malkoff M60 for $67. A fair price for both IMO.

K, not your only M60, I hope. I will never sell my M60. If so, what did you replace it with?

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
K, not your only M60, I hope. I will never sell my M60. If so, what did you replace it with?
Moddoo XP-G triples. Lots of 'em. :devil:

(Well, I have a single-mode now and will be adding a multimode triple next month. The combination of output, beam characteristics, and potential efficiency is overwhelming.)

But yes, I am ashamed to say that I sold my last Malkoff - I agonized for over two months before finally putting this last one of mine up for sale. No other drop-in is (or perhaps ever will be) as reliable.

I will be purchasing a Malkoff M31 for my car when they become available (that's a no-brainer), so don't take away my 'flashaholic' status just yet. ;)

Edit: Oh, and I'm probably never going to change out the M60LL in my wife's car light. :)

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Thanks for the answers. Just wanted to be sure why everyone jumps on these Malkoff modules and now I understand. Gonna kick back with my R2's for now and wait for the next big thing.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Ya know, I still like my big Mag triple. That beam is perfect.
I'd like those to come back with XP-G's but I think they were just too labor intensive.

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owner of 5 Malkoff's and still buying! Simply put, cheesy advertising (numbers game) simply cannot compete with quality and service (with a smile)

stallion2

Enlightened
i have the M30, M60 (my 1st Malkoff) and the M61 and they are all awesome. they have great throw w/ the 8° optic but still have a large enough hotspot to work well in close...as a result of this there are still plenty of XR-E-based lamps w/ more throw. the trade-off is having no spill. my Olight M20 (even w/ its OP installed) out throws my M30 and M60 and does so w/ a far more desirable tint.....but the Malkoff's still produce a more useful beam profile.

the M61 is amazing. the beam is downright buttery in its smoothness. the M30 and M60 still out throw the M61 but they aren't nearly as bright or practical an M61.

the only P60 dropin i have that i currently prefer over the Malkoff's is Thrunite's 1.5A XP-G lamp. however...i have mated the pill to a reflector from an XP-G lamp from DX that which has far more throw.

the lack of multi-modes is mildly discouraging. it was a looooong time before i received a switch ring for my MD2. there are some other methods that involve switches w/ resistors installed.

pae77

Enlightened
. . .

the lack of multi-modes is mildly discouraging. . . .
It sure is for me. I'm waiting for my recently ordered first p60 host to arrive from Hong Kong and, in the meantime, am searching for a neutral drop in with a "buttery" smooth beam like you described the M61 to have, but I also really want it to have 3 modes with memory as well, (and also can't really afford to drop $69 on it right now). But some day I'm sure I will get one though.