So, the mailman called me today...(G5 story coming up)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I have my mailman trained. I sleep so late that sometimes, when I get up in the afternoon and go out to check my mail and realize I have a package, the post office is usually closed.
Well, for a gadget freak like me that buys a lot of stuff, you know how that works out...I can't wait for tomorrow and sadly, it seems like I'm always waiting for tomorrow.

So, there I am sleeping and the phone rings and the caller id says M A I L M A N

Sweet!
- Whaddup Chris?
- Got packages for you Georgi.

So, I slip into a pair of shorts (Did yall want to know that I sleep nekkid? Just wondering.. :whistle: ) and go outside to get my packages. Didn't realize it was my Maelstrom G5 at first. Hell, I just ordered it yesterday or the day before but there it was.

I tore the hell outta that box and there it was, solid lookin' lil' light, all spanking new and shiny 'n stuff.

Well packed with a set of batteries of 4sevens brand (trez cool).

Of course, I didn't know you adjust the light at the head so I started screwing (Shut yo mouths!) and unscrewed the head only to realize I screwed the wrong end so to speak. Yes, the pooch was around but he/she made it ok.

I OPENED the rear (Dunno, this one didn't sound much better..) and crammed the included batteries in and put the cap back on. I have to say that this thing has the smoothest threads I've ever seen. I don't know how the others are but my threads were smooth as silk.

Button was very distinct and crisp feeling and the light was nice and bright. VERY COOL!

Of course, I couldn't figure out how to adjust it. I kept clicking, double clicking, holding the button down and doing everything short of the funky chicken till I gave up and hit the manual.

Halleluja, you just tighten and loosen the head. Glory be! Someone's been thinking about my kind (the not so smart ones). Now THIS is a light even I can use.

The moonlight mode is very nice and low and the light is bright. Love it.

I LOVE where this LED thing is going.

Oh yeah, nice holster too.

Anyway, there was a red filter that I think I ordered too (Well, it was on the same page so I thought there was a reason for it being there and I didn't think about it and got it too.) but since I'm not sure where it goes, I think I'll stick it in my ear unless someone has any suggestions (SUITABLE SUGGESTIONS that is!)

Now, not being the brightest LED around here, I just wanted to confirm that I CAN use this thing with rechargeable 123's and 18650s?
Also, what's the difference in runtime and output?

Yes, I read the output numbers in the review but not sure about runtimes.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions that are so simple my Pug can answer, feel free to ask me.

George

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the great light and a trained mailman. I got mine today as well and its awesome, in the manual its says that you can use 18650's but i don't know about RCR's.

Alex

carrot

Flashaholic
Yes, you may use 18650's. I'm pretty sure you can also use RCR's but don't quote me on that... and why would you when 18650's fit fine?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, 276, I'm a veritable Siegried...
Also, I think in the test it said he tested it with RCR's

Carrot, I wouldn't really but just wanted to know and also the runtimes.

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, we're getting somewhere :)

Runtimes anyone? On the different batteries I mean.

Thanks

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny.

Anyway, I posted measured OTF lumens in my review using every different battery type I have (and a UI operation video :whistle: :D), but keep in mind the numbers will be lower than your light because I was sent a prototype, not a production model (click here).

Check Selfbuilt's great review for runtime testing (click here).

BTW, when you say you unscrewed the wrong end, did you unscrew the bezel, the complete head or did you actually unscrew both head halves (where you have plain view of the emitter)? Just curious.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
...in the manual its says that you can use 18650's...

As carrot confirmed, this is true - with one caveat. Only the older and/or lower capacity button top 18650s will work without modification. The reverse polarity protection built into the G5 requires the addition of a small magnet to any of the current generation of high capacity flat top 18650s.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just wish it were easier to go from low to turbo. The only modes I happen to use are moonlight, low, and turbo. If I leave the light in turbo (the mode I use most) I can't get to moonlight without starting in turbo. I wish I could program it to moonlight and turbo as you can in the quark tactical ui or even the quark regular ui. Others who used the light commented on this but I didn't fully appreciate the problem until I tried it.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny.

Anyway, I posted measured OTF lumens in my review using every different battery type I have (and a UI operation video :whistle: :D), but keep in mind the numbers will be lower than your light because I was sent a prototype, not a production model (click here).

BTW, when you say you unscrewed the wrong end, did you unscrew the bezel, the complete head or did you actually unscrew both head halves (where you have plain view of the emitter)? Just curious.

Nah, just unscrewed where the head attaches to the body.

I saw your great test and It think I commented on it too but I don't remember seeing runtimes. IF there were, correct me please and I'll spank myself or I'll let my monkey do it for me. :sick2:

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wish it were easier to go from low to turbo. The only modes I happen to use are moonlight, low, and turbo. If I leave the light in turbo (the mode I use most) I can't get to moonlight without starting in turbo. I wish I could program it to moonlight and turbo as you can in the quark tactical ui or even the quark regular ui. Others who used the light commented on this but I didn't fully appreciate the problem until I tried it.

Yeah but if they accomodated you with the user interface (or however you spell it) then I'd get screwed and of course, if they keep me happy and keep it this way, you get screwed and I personally would much rather see YOU get screwed :devil:

TwitchALot

Enlightened
As carrot confirmed, this is true - with one caveat. Only the older and/or lower capacity button top 18650s will work without modification. The reverse polarity protection built into the G5 requires the addition of a small magnet to any of the current generation of high capacity flat top 18650s.

This is not true, at least on the production model I have for review. Flat top 18650's work fine, but you won't be able to use the third and fourth modes (strobe/sos and low/moonlight depending on the interface). I'll talk more about that in my review, but in the production G5, flat top 2600 mAh AW 18650's work straight out of the box- but only in the primary and secondary modes. I believe someone else has posted a similar result with their production G5, although I don't remember what thread I read it in.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw your great test and It think I commented on it too but I don't remember seeing runtimes. IF there were, correct me please and I'll spank myself or I'll let my monkey do it for me. :sick2:

George

Tell the monkey to stand down :D; I didn't do any runtime tests, but I did link to Selfbuilts review in my previous post:whistle:. (Selfbuilt did runtime testing :poke: :D)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, missed that one but if it's ok with you, I'll spank the damn thing anyway.

I'm just a bit dense which is why I like to ask for clarification but just to confirm, does his runtime tests show that on max with the 18650, it'll run for 2.5 hours before it goes down to 50% and is that 50% battery capacity or output?

Also, with TWO RCR's it'll only do 38 mins?

Thanks

Anyway, I'm off to give the monkey the bad news..

George

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, missed that one but if it's ok with you, I'll spank the damn thing anyway.

I'm just a bit dense which is why I like to ask for clarification but just to confirm, does his runtime tests show that on max with the 18650, it'll run for 2.5 hours before it goes down to 50% and is that 50% battery capacity or output?

Also, with TWO RCR's it'll only do 38 mins?

Thanks

Anyway, I'm off to give the monkey the bad news..

George

Yes, almost 2.5 hours to 50% output. Notice how the runtime graph shows a steady decline in output for the 18650 from start-up, but the RCR's runtime graph shows the light holding max output until shut-off.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yeah but if they accomodated you with the user interface (or however you spell it) then I'd get screwed and of course, if they keep me happy and keep it this way, you get screwed and I personally would much rather see YOU get screwed :devil:

I don't understand???

recDNA

Flashaholic
But please explain how including turbo in both sets of modes like the quark would screw anyone?

He was trying to say that you can't please everyone when you do custom UIs, I think...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was merely referring to how I like the simpler UI and you didn't or something like that. Didn't go into detail rec, just a general nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah comment. You know...like this :nana:

:devil:

George