Princeton Tec Impact XL

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
FYI Princeton Tec is going to release a 1 watt flashlight powered by 4AA batteries.(MSRP $34.95) It's about the size of the old Impact but without the shaped lens and with a molded rubber grip. They also have a couple of 1 watt headlamps listed also.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
The two headlamps are the Matrix 2 1Watt LED powered by 2AA batteries and the Yukon HL with a 1Watt LED or 3 5mm LEDs.

I don't know much more but they are supposed to be available around October.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.Please be regulated.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the Impact XL is as bright as my Tec 40. I have been wishing for a luxeon version of the Tec 40 ever since I got it (I am sick of incandescents).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Oh wonderful...another new flashlight for me to review...guess I'd better think about moving my insulator website to a new host so I can "borrow" its space (that would get me at least a few megs)...or decide which of my other websites needs to go down the commode to make space that way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
(now there's a run-on sentence if I ever saw one!)

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im gonna call Princeton Tec today! They need to know that a High Dome would be much preferred, especially for a dive light(better water penetration). and is it me or does it look like a 30mm optic would/could fit the Tec40(Impact XL)?????

Sharp

Enlightened
I can't wait for a Matrix 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That has got to be regulated! I wonder if it'll always come with two lamp assemblies? Will it be 1W lamp assembly and 3 L.E.D.s assembly or 1W and Incandescence? I just can't wait! It was about time PT came up with Luxeon technology! Another idea would be an Impact II with a 1watter, but the run-time would be poor i guess...for my standards, at least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

shrap

Enlightened
The Matrix 2 has to be boost regulated, since it uses 2AA's. However it claims to have 15 hours of light, much longer than any of the Badboy or MadMax sandwiches, so I'm guessing the "good" runtime won't be very long.

It doesn't look like the Matrix 2 will have any other lamp assemblies. However the Yukon, another light, has a single 1W LS and 3 5mm LEDs.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Matrix 2 might be just like the Inretech 2AA, direct drive off of 2AA. If this is the case then you can double the output by sticking some lithiums in it.

Sharp

Enlightened
Well, since it'll be regulated, I'll just put some Lithium AA's and get that bit more runtime from it.It also means I'll go around with some batteries...

Yukon looks like a good compromise. I mean, the ability to use the boosted power of a 1watter, or the runtime of 3 nichia. It sounds good, but the battery pack behind the head looks like a disadvantage after a while you have it on to me although it gives extra runtime...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
impactxl.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
Im gonna call Princeton Tec today! They need to know that a High Dome would be much preferred, especially for a dive light(better water penetration). and is it me or does it look like a 30mm optic would/could fit the Tec40(Impact XL)?????

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like they are using the same bezel as the Tec 40. The 30mm optic almost fits that, but needs a little shaving. Can't wait!

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
impactxl.jpg

It looks like the marketing folks [as they are wont to do] are taking some liberties with reality. Note the "...significantly greater than completing 1-watt Xenon and halogen bulbs..."

The physical design restraints that exist have precluded anyone from successfully designing a halogen bulb that operates at powers as low as 1W. Also, while it is certainly possible to fill a 1W lamp with Xenon, it is unlikely that a bulb designer would choose to do so since it likely would not exceed a vacuum bulb in efficiency. Yes, I have seen packaging for cheap lights that *claimed or implied* Xenon lamps in the 1W range but I think that you can safely assume that it is marketing fluff only.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
artar said:
Doug,

there are a lot of torches with 1 watt Xenon bulbs.
see pt blast, uke 2aaa and brinkmann nexstar 2aa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubt that there are flashlights that claim to have Xenon bulbs with ratings of 1W or less. I would be very interested if anyone can produce a link to bulb specifications from *any reputable* bulb manufacturer that show use of Xenon fill gas in any bulb rated at 1W or less.