HDS System Military Issue

HDSFAN

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what HDS has produced in the past that recevied a military contract? I understand there may have been a Marine issue light but can't find any details. Pics or links would be cool. Thanks

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I was also wondering about this, mainly because I selfishly hope that HDS will remain solvent and successful for a long time to come.

chef4850

Enlightened
Battery Station was selling them.

I think that they still have the pictures and info on their site but I think I bought them all. :thumbsup:

Says out of stock on the page.

Chef

HDSFAN

Newly Enlightened
Dang, how's that for a response? The man himself replied to my post! I'm going to have to change my handle to HDS owner pretty soon. I've been wanting one of Henry's lights for a looooong time and finally placed my order exactly a week ago for a custom 140GT, sapphire lens, flush switch, bezel down clip, SS bezel. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for an EDC 60 GI light now. So are there any details on how many were purchased and when they were issued? So in other words if we see them pop up on the market are these going to be considered as overruns or surplus? Got to admit I've been lurking here or a couple of years and have learned quite a bit. Glad to be part of the community.

edit: I just Googled the EDC Ultimate 60 and read up on them. The finish appears to be an HA III finish similar to a SF with a greenish tint? Might just be my monitor. I actually like the greenish/olive tint that Ultimate 60 has.

Thanks
HDSfan
Texas

Last edited:

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Chef4850,

The true HDS Systems EDC Ultimate has a positive contact board with 4 big dot contacts surrounding the positive contact and lettering next to each dot and these were the lights that were modified for the military contract. The look-alike lights have just a series of rings around the positive contact, the negative contact spring has a gray rubber ring around it and the serial number has the letter M in it.

The lights that had the M in the serial number were not HDS Systems EDC Ultimate 60 flashlights modified for the military contract - even though the lights were lasered with EDC Ultimate on the outside. The mechanical design was different, the electronics were completely different, the software was completely different and the UI was significantly different.

Henry.

HDSFAN

Newly Enlightened
Excellent information Henry! I really like learning the subtle details and technicalities of systems and look forward to my RA Custom. As time has passed it's exciting to see how your constant improvements have impacted your products. I'm even more excited to see how they will continue to evolve as well as the flashligt industry as a whole. It's light years (pun intended) to be where we are today with the toys we have versus the lights I played with as kid in the early 70's. Peace! HDSFAN

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
The.Mtn.Man,

The military is now purchasing the HDS Systems EDC Tactical 140 and 170. These lights are a significant improvement over the original lights shipped to the military. And yes, they are stock. Be build all of our lights to the same high standard.

Henry.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So when I'm showing off my new flashlight, I can casually mention:
"You know, this is the same light the US military uses. :whistle:"

red02

Enlightened
Thats my line whenever I show off a Surefire. This thread has all but convinced me to get a Ra 170T, however I'm still waiting for one in OD.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I wonder why they want the 140 and the 170, maybe the 170 are just for the higher ranked, I would have thought that the military would want the IR and the 170.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I wonder why they want the 140 and the 170, maybe the 170 are just for the higher ranked, I would have thought that the military would want the IR and the 170.

The 140 is 21% cheaper at list price than then 170. An even more illuminating :ohgeez:difference is that you can field five 140's for about the cost of four 170's. Believe it or not there are budgets that can affect the decision making.

HDSFAN

Newly Enlightened
Now what I really want to see is a pic of one being used in the field. I also think the perfect finish is HAIII natural, with a olive appearance. So does a GI RA have an NSN?

Latest posts