Momentary forward switch for L2?

monoboy

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Tan L2 as my first Solarforce light. I've done many forum searches regarding a momentary switch mod for this light (think Surefire twisty style). It seems like most (all?) want to convert to a forward clicky, and I have found the Jet or Romisen continually referenced as a straight forward drop-in (with minor boot nubin cutting) for that purpose. However, I've not found a thread on how to mod to forward momentary. Does such a mod exist?

Also, I put a generic R2 drop-in, in my new L2. I discovered the included reverse clicky switch to be a two stage design. First click on yields full power, the second click yields roughly half power (I currently have no way to measure actual outputs). The third click turns it back off.

This is a dangerous hobby to get started in. I already have an L2m on order.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Only tailcap mod Ive seen for the L2 is a forward clicky, no twisty. Would the forward clicky not work? It can be used as momentary.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
Only tailcap mod Ive seen for the L2 is a forward clicky, no twisty. Would the forward clicky not work? It can be used as momentary.

mrartillery is correct... the standard "forward clicky" works well as a momentary switch - press to engage momentary, press further to latch in the ON state. Solarforce sells forward clicky switches for the L2 series, although they are quite large, or you can modify an existing switch.

If you want a purely momentary switch, then you'd need to replace the actual switch, which mounts on a small circuit board in the tailcap, with a non-latching, press for ON, momentary switch that is physically compatible.

Another way of achieving this is to use a Surefire Z41 switch. This is a switch that has a purely momentary button, but if you twist the switch tight, the light is constantly ON without needing to hold the button. You won't match the finish of the Solarforce, although Black/Black will be close.

The switch in a standard Solarforce is a simple ON-OFF switch. If you get different levels when switching, it's either not a Solarforce switch, or the drop-in is a multi-mode unit.

- Syncytial.

Last edited: