Maelstrom G5 vs. DBS XP-G

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have/had each of these and can give a comparison? I have the DBS and could upgrade it a little cheaper than what I could buy a Maelstrom for.

I want an XP-G thrower. Which is throwier? I heard that the Maelstrom drives the XP-G harder, but does it throw as far as the DBS?

Thanks in advance! :popcorn:

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Re: Request: Maelstrom G5 vs. DBS XP-G Beamshots

As the title states, does anyone know of any beamshots directly comparing the Maelstrom G5 vs. the DBS with XP-G and matching XP-G SMO reflector?

Thanks in advance! :popcorn:

The Maelstrom has a marginally smaller reflector than the DBS, but it is brighter. If you don't own a DBS XP-G, I'd pass on it. If you want output from a DBS, go with SST-50 or MC-E pill or wait until the Cree XM LEDs are out. If you want throw, get an R2 pill. I'm planning to upgrade my DBS with the R2 pill before long, as the XP-G just doesn't throw very well.

There are not currently any comparison beamshots between these two lights to the best of my knowledge.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Request: Maelstrom G5 vs. DBS XP-G Beamshots

I assume the XM will yet be another floody big die emitter?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moving beyond beamshots since they don't seem to be available.

Does anyone have or had each of these and can give a comparison? I have the DBS and could upgrade it a little cheaper than what I could buy a Maelstrom for.

I want an XP-G thrower. Which is throwier? I heard that the Maelstrom drives the XP-G harder, but does it throw as far as the DBS?

jblackwood

Enlightened

If you want throw, get an R2 pill. I'm planning to upgrade my DBS with the R2 pill before long, as the XP-G just doesn't throw very well.

There are not currently any comparison beamshots between these two lights to the best of my knowledge.

I don't have a Maelstrom, but from what I've read, the XP-G is not the engine you want for throw. Look for an XR-E R2 pill, like Dogbert said. I have one of those and an R2 pill in a CL1H DOES out-throw my Quark Turbo 2xCR123, though they're still pretty different lights. My guess as to why there aren't any comparison shots is that the DBS, with the much bigger reflector, is assumed to not be in the same league as the Turbo.

EDIT: I forgot we were comparing the Maelstrom to the DBS. I have no idea about the dimensions to the Maelstrom. Sorry I couldn't add more, but I DID want to point out Saint_Dogbert's pre-response to you.

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Maelstrom, but from what I've read, the XP-G is not the engine you want for throw. Look for an XR-E R2 pill, like Dogbert said. I have one of those and an R2 pill in a CL1H DOES out-throw my Quark Turbo 2xCR123, though they're still pretty different lights. My guess as to why there aren't any comparison shots is that the DBS, with the much bigger reflector, is assumed to not be in the same league as the Turbo.

EDIT: I forgot we were comparing the Maelstrom to the DBS. I have no idea about the dimensions to the Maelstrom. Sorry I couldn't add more, but I DID want to point out Saint_Dogbert's pre-response to you.

Thanks for the reply jblackwood. I did see Saint_Dogbert's reply. I already have a great XR-E thrower (DBS). I want to add an XP-G thrower to my arsenal as it will be a little more useful due to the extra lumens and larger spot it will give. I'm not looking for just a pure throw light, or I'd just go with the DBS XR-E aspheric option. The question is which XP-G thrower to go with, which is what I am looking for some advice on.

stallion2

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply jblackwood. I did see Saint_Dogbert's reply. I already have a great XR-E thrower (DBS). I want to add an XP-G thrower to my arsenal as it will be a little more useful due to the extra lumens and larger spot it will give. I'm not looking for just a pure throw light, or I'd just go with the DBS XR-E aspheric option. The question is which XP-G thrower to go with, which is what I am looking for some advice on.

i was elated w/ my MC-E and XR-E DBS's but found the XP-G version to be a let-down. i later installed an SST-50 from Nailbender. if it has to be an XP-G for your DBS then i would go w/ one of Thrunite's 1.5A XP-G's. i would also recommend boring the emitter opening at the bottom of the DBS reflector to reduce the chance of damaging the chip or popping it off when you install it. the G5 would most likely to be the safe bet if you're willing to spend the additional cash.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
From looking at Ti-Force (Maelstrom G5 Review) who uses the same lux meter, sphere, and MrGman calibrated Sphere. He gets 320 Max OTF lumens on it.

Maelstrom G5____________600 lux______________15,000 lux

Plus, the lux he gets on his is more then the 13.5k lux I got on my DBS XR-E R2 (orange peel) readings. My XR-E R2 was at 230ish OTF lumens.

I didnt get a chance to test the DBS Dereelight bezel with an XP-G R5, so I dont know if the lux are greater then the Maelstrom, but I did have it on loan for a while. I just never tested it.

I say the Maelstrom G5 is a good way to go. The Malkoff Hound Dog makes similar OTF numbers with 20k lux at 1 meter.

bigC

red02

Enlightened
According to specs out of CREE the XM will be another floody emitter.

G5 vs Any OP XPG is not a fair fight. OP is not designed for throw, just a pleasant beam.

If you want a thrower get an SST50 or an XRE. Your trying to reinvent the wheel with an XPG thrower.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My Maelstrom could be described as a thrower. Although I haven't A-B'd it against my XR-E/XP-E lights, it throws a bright searchlight type beam on to the 14th floor of a building near me; total distance approx 150 feet.

While this is too short a distance for a real throw test (and the Maelstrom is not intended to be a super-thrower), it NTL demonstrates significant throw power for this relatively small light with it's surprisingly narrow (but deep) reflector.

Brightnorm

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Maelstrom could be described as a thrower. Although I haven't A-B'd it against my XR-E/XP-E lights, it throws a bright searchlight type beam on to the 14th floor of a building near me; total distance approx 150 feet.

While this is too short a distance for a real throw test (and the Maelstrom is not intended to be a super-thrower), it NTL demonstrates significant throw power for this relatively small light with it's surprisingly narrow (but deep) reflector.

Brightnorm

The smallest thrower I have seen was the Milky Extreme L1 XR-E R2 at 2A and 390 OTF lumens with 14.5k lux (almost as much as this Maelstrom).

This Maelstrom G5 is a good thrower for the 6P type size.

bigC