JetBeam M1X V4 !!! Importance!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTF is that on the reflector, looks like a tumor! (V3)
ive have experience with a V4, and yes it does have the donut hole. cant say anymore, cause ive never seen a V3 in persion.

lew187

Newly Enlightened
hi, thats a hybrid reflector maybe. not a tumor. Or it is cancer... than my light will die soon. Dammit.

I think jetbeam put in v4 the reflector from the m2s.

I really want to know if there is a difference between the beamcharacteristics..

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an older M1X as shown in the first picture.

It had a slight donut hole, however it was a strong thrower.

Sadly, I believe the reports of the latest versions of the M1X have indicated that the new reflector has a reduced amount of throw, and an increase in the floodiness of the beam.

So, depending on which you prefer, this news may come be a negative or positive to you and your opinions of the newer M1X's.

Regarding the "tumor", the older reflector had two steps within it.
Towards the base it had a smaller angle, and then at the ring indicated with the arrows in the picture, it goes to a slightly wider angle.

Pöbel

Enlightened
V4 and M2s have the same Reflector. It's shallower than that of V3 and previous. They probably did it to save costs.

V3 is extremly throwy, but has a distinct donut hole.

If you got V3, stick with V3 if you love the throw.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
I had both, previous model with deep throwy reflector and the newest with shalow reflector and writings around the LED. ....So from my observations:

The new V4 is not as throwy as previous revision, but it is still a good thrower. Throw is equal to my EagleTac M2XC4 Neutral (which is around 23K lux), but with bigger hotspot. The spill is much wider and donut hole is almost invisible. The light is more powerfull too (more current to the LED). So from "raw power" point of view it's a very good light.

Unfortunatelly, reflector is not the only change. The body tube is different and the head is assembled from two parts. One for reflector and lens and one for LED and circuit board. The two parts are screwed together (no glue). With that power level, the flashlight "should" warm up very quickly (it's light, there's not much aluminium heatsinking mass) but it's not. The LED has poor thermal transfer to the pill and the pill to the body. This means the LED is very, very hot and I'm affraid about reliability in long term use. Apart from this new M1X, I have also EagleTac M2XC4, Fenix TK45 and one custom MC-E flashlight ...and I know how fast the body of powerful flashlight should warm up. Also the clicky switch is not as good as previous one. It feels just worse... The lens is worse too. The previous one had a nice blue-violet coating. The new lens looks just plain normal (however, I may be wrong with the coatings and lens quality). Overall, the new V4 is showing "saving costs" in almost every aspect. Yes, it's powerful and the beam has a nice shape and it still throws very well, but I'm very affraid about long term reliability because of this poor heatsinking and lower quality switch...

Stick with your V3 ...it's better product in my opinion.

lew187

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thanks... nice statement.

To the lens/glas... it should be the same as in the M2S.. there is also no coating... it is completely clear. But I don't know why the V3 has a blue coating... ehy?!

But I'm lokking for the beam...

is the hotspot from the V4 bigger than the hotspot from V3 ???

the donut hole in V3 sucks...

I have to compare in reality to make a decison... :) I love the M1X btw :p thats why I'm interested in the V4...

bullterrier

Enlightened
Hi,

so go here pls:

V3:
12446081.jpg

and V4:
img8298.jpg

As u can see there is a difference in the reflector design.

My question: Is there any difference between V3 and V4 in throw/beam/spot/donut hole or what else???

I have a M1X V3 and I CAN'T get the V4 out of my head, damn!

Pls help :(

thank you guys!

My M1X V1 looks like a V3 with out cancer :)

dsc0266b.jpg

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
is the hotspot from the V4 bigger than the hotspot from V3 ???

the donut hole in V3 sucks...

I have to compare in reality to make a decison... :) I love the M1X btw :p thats why I'm interested in the V4...

Yes, it's little bigger. I don't have my older M1X, but below there're the comparision beamshots from M1X V4 and Fenix TK45. Hope it helps.

72133717.jpg

33972574.jpg

By the way... On my local forum, I've made Fenix TK45 review and as a comparision model Jetbeam M1X V4 was used. You can check the beamshots at the end of review (if they're not loading properly, refresh the site several times). Here's the link.
http://www.swiatelka.pl/viewtopic.php?p=48666#48666

Last edited:

lew187

Newly Enlightened
Hi, got the V4 today.

your review shows that the TK45 is not a pure thrower.
However... it uses 3 single led's. Thats some big difference to a MC-E light.

You are right... the V4 shows and feels a little bit cheapy against the V3.
Beam tint is neutral white... my V3 has a touch of yellow in it.. a bit warm.
Looks more nice.

donut hole is still on board... It's not better compared to V3.
It's another donut hole but not less...

Maybe I have to compare in the dark and long distance...

I also got Olight M31 Triton.... amazing bright spot. Pure thrower. 800 lumen otf :) no wonder with smooth reflector.

In my opinion a Orange peel reflector is the best reflector for a beautiful spot and beam. My old Jetbeam M2S makes a nice (the best) job.