Any side-by-side 2xAA form factor LED lights?

Chicago X

Enlightened
Is anyone aware of a side-by-side 2xAA form factor LED light?

I can see a lot of pluses to this setup; it wouldn't roll very far, and would be much more 'pocketable' than an inline 2xAA.

There would be a bit more wasted space in the design to allow for reflector/optics, but this could be a boon in the form of thermal mass for hotter LEDs.

2x14500s could power some of the higher-current LEDs as well.....

Are there any examples out there?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
HUGE +1 on this Question.

I want one of the fenix LD10 type heads, but a SxS AA body.

you won't see this in lights that are aluminum bodied, but plastic bodies. I like my UK2AAA but mainly use it for carrying batteries as the LED output of it cannot compete with my LD01. I have a few 2AA side/side incans I put LED dropins in that are nice and 2 2AAA LED lights one is a brinkmann with a cree and the other a black and decker with a half watt LED and two 5mm leds. The B&D can be modded with different 5mm LEDs but not sure about changing the half watt out maybe an xp-e LED could work but I don't have any. 2 AA/AAA side/side lights that swivel and tailstand are very useful.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
For a while Zebralight had a prototype section up on their website, where they had some cad sketches for a 2xAA side-by-side light. It was apparently going to be milled from a chunk of aluminium (so full metal construction) with the only opening being for a electronic switch. The head would come off so you could load batteries into it.

It looked pretty nice, and if anyone could pull off a light design like that in metal I'd say it would be Zebralight. Don't count on it coming out for a long time though, they seem to take their time perfecting their designs!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Streamlight makes one that's got a wobbly head with colored LED's as well as the main white one, don't remember what it's called or how much it is though.

There's also at least one other company that makes something similar; don't remember the name or the name of the light, but I saw them while browsing through tacticalleds.com.

That's called the Streamlight Sidewinder :)
I have one and got it for a good deal ($15). It normally costs $40-50 but you can occasionally get it for $30-35 on the CPFMP. The body is plastic though .... if you were looking for a aluminum light. Also the brightness of the flashlight might disappoint you ... particularly the 5mm colored LEDs. All in all it's actually quite a useful light to use around the house. In fact, it's sometimes next to me on my nightstand when I sleep - I have it set on the red LED so it won't strain my eyes and ruin my night adapted vision. Pretty cool :)

chenko

Enlightened
I too think the side-by-side 2xAA setup is a very interesting form factor. I would have loved to see that Zebralight prototype be produced.

dougw

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone got a picture of that Zebralight prototype?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's called the Streamlight Sidewinder :)
I have one and got it for a good deal ($15). It normally costs $40-50 but you can occasionally get it for $30-35 on the CPFMP. The body is plastic though .... if you were looking for a aluminum light. Also the brightness of the flashlight might disappoint you ... particularly the 5mm colored LEDs. All in all it's actually quite a useful light to use around the house. In fact, it's sometimes next to me on my nightstand when I sleep - I have it set on the red LED so it won't strain my eyes and ruin my night adapted vision. Pretty cool :)

Reasonably good travel light to throw in a bag. I too got mine for ~$15.

Mini-Chimera - about the dimensions of a deck of cards, charges off of mini-usb (has cell phone battery) & takes a mini-SD card as well. Not cheap, made by Sabrewolf so there are SO MANY OPTIONS (ipod !) that it will blow your mind and makes the delivery time not short. I've got about 8 trits in mine (virtually unlimited trit placement options).

Chicago X

Enlightened
.........Mini-Chimera - about the dimensions of a deck of cards, charges off of mini-usb (has cell phone battery) & takes a mini-SD card as well. Not cheap, made by Sabrewolf so there are SO MANY OPTIONS (ipod !) that it will blow your mind and makes the delivery time not short. I've got about 8 trits in mine (virtually unlimited trit placement options).

Interesting.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Toaster

Enlightened
Has anyone got a picture of that Zebralight prototype?

Link

I think I remember reading somewhere that Zebralight dropped the idea and won't be producing the S5200 and S5400. It's a shame if that's true. But at least Fenix stepped up to the plate and answered our 4AA wishes with the LD40.

entoptics

Enlightened
Seems to me that manufacturing cost is the problem.

A tube is easy. Side by Side, even if done in a tube is exponentially harder to tightly manufacture.

Rat6P

Enlightened
I had a go at drawing one up a while ago.........sort of lost momentum though.
I need a lathe and Mill :)

Very rough and unfinished.

I was designing it primarily to be mounted on a rifle. The Idea was with the 2 heads you could have many combinations of light type.
One could be White and one IR for example
or both white or colors etc.
One throwy reflector and one flood etc.

Last edited:

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Now you're cooking! A pair of 18500s with a p60 dropin head, with an offset secondary led, like an LD01 head. P91 for the primary beam! Who needs an aviator?