Anybody Try 2x IMR 14500 With a P91?

GreyShark

Enlightened
I just ordered a pair of AW's new IMR 14500's with the intent of using them with the SureFire P91 in my C3 fitted with an M2 shock absorbing bezel. I have run the P91 on 2x IMR 16340's and the output is impressive but the draw is a little heavy so I've never tried to use that lamp with the protected 17500's I normally run in my C3.

These new IMR 14500's should have no problem handling the draw and even pack a little more mAh's than the old IMR 16340. Since it's still a relatively small cell I'm guessing there will be enough sag to keep the P91 from going :poof:

It's a shame AW is so resistant to the idea of an IMR 17500. Frankly I think the market for this cell is much larger and based on the other batteries in the series it would probably have a capacity of at least 750 mAh's... maybe a good bit more. At least the 14500 is workable as a 2 cell solution in our 3 cell SureFires.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a pair of AW's new IMR 14500's with the intent of using them with the SureFire P91 in my C3 fitted with an M2 shock absorbing bezel. I have run the P91 on 2x IMR 16340's and the output is impressive but the draw is a little heavy so I've never tried to use that lamp with the protected 17500's I normally run in my C3.

These new IMR 14500's should have no problem handling the draw and even pack a little more mAh's than the old IMR 16340. Since it's still a relatively small cell I'm guessing there will be enough sag to keep the P91 from going :poof:

It's a shame AW is so resistant to the idea of an IMR 17500. Frankly I think the market for this cell is much larger and based on the other batteries in the series it would probably have a capacity of at least 750 mAh's... maybe a good bit more. At least the 14500 is workable as a 2 cell solution in our 3 cell SureFires.

Have you ever considered about boring out the C3 for 2x18500 protected cells?
Less chance of P91 going :poof:, almost double the run time and less frequent recharge.
Price of cells are almost same. You pay boring charge up front and you get double the battery life, some extra bulb life plus recharging convenience.

GreyShark

Enlightened
I've thought about it a lot actually. I know some people have gone this route and been successful. I haven't ever gone through with it because I still have some concerns about how thin the metal gets under the tail cap o-rings. My C3 is my daily carry and my life involves things like chainsaws and tractors so my gear tends to see some pretty hard use.

To tell you the truth I outgrew SureFire and most other hosts a long time ago. I've been quietly working on a fully custom replacement but the C3 is good enough that other projects have taken precedence. Well that and I just plain prefer working on my anvil to working on my lathe. In the meantime the IMR 14500 looks like a good option.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever considered about boring out the C3 for 2x18500 protected cells?
Less chance of P91 going :poof:, almost double the run time and less frequent recharge.
Price of cells are almost same. You pay boring charge up front and you get double the battery life, some extra bulb life plus recharging convenience.

Fivemega, I think most of us would rather buy one of your excellent 2 x 18500 bodies than bore out our C3's. :)

I prefer to keep my Surefires stock, especially some old friends like my round body C3 and C2. I actually prefer to use two IMR16340's behind a one cell battery spacer to run a high drain lamp in my stock 3 cell Surefires. I'd prefer to just pass on the IMR14500's, as I don't like flickering output and battery rattle. I'm not into wrapping large amounts of tape around batteries either.

Greyshark, I saw a nice vintage round body C2 that got bulged out during the boring out process, made me :sick2:

I do hope very much we see the IMR17500s someday, but I guess I'm not gonna hold my breath. And I agree that there is probably a much larger market for them than the IMR14500's.

Last edited:

GreyShark

Enlightened
Yeah it'd be a real shame to mess up a round body C2/C3. That's probably my favorite SureFire body style.

I haven't had any problem with contact issues when I use AA's in my C3 or G3 hosts and I don't wrap the batteries with anything. I can actually shake the lights vigorously and they still stay lit. YMMV though and I'll come back and let everybody know how the IMR 14500's work when they get here.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I noticed the flicker in my Vital Gear FB3, and some 3AA E-series lego, I guess I haven't used any AA's in C or P series lights though, maybe the tailcap spring is a little stronger and that makes a difference.

GreyShark

Enlightened
The IMR 14500's work great! No contact issues, :poof: or anything.

My AW protected 17500's are several millimeters longer than the IMR 14500's and the difference in surface area is dramatic. I have a very strong feeling that if AW ever makes an IMR 17500 its capacity will be about 950mAh's. The 17500 is just a much more massive cell than the 14500.

In the meantime I think I'll look into some mini-mag host possibilities to take advantage of the adjustable beam in that format.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I'm currently using a couple of the newer longer P17500 cells of his in a Vital Gear FB3. They are a little too long for the body so I fear it is not good for the tailspring, but it is working so far.

Lumens Factory E0-E2R drawing about 800mA for a 150+ lumen output. Runtime should be around 1hr 20mins to an hour and a half I suspect.

I'd run an IMR-E2, but 2.0 amps is a little bit much for P17500 cells and the Vital Gear clicky tailswitch probably would not handle that current either.

Last edited: