Is the Surefire M6 the longest throwing light?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I went camping this last weekend and brought along my Mag 2C using 3-CR123's, Carley PR716 lamp and Flashlight Lens UCL. That little light really outperformed every single flashlight out there, the smallest flashlight too!
We tried shining our lights at trees that were about maybe 200 yards away (maybe more) and my light couldn't that well? The other guys couldn't even see a glimmer with theirs. . . This was pretty much the close of my camping season for me and would like to come back next season and shine some real light on those trees.
I'm thinking a Surefire M6 would do the job, right?
Small enough package, still carryable in a holster, under $300, tactical looking too.
Is this my best bet or are there others that I should be considering? I don't care about run time either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use a UKE 2AA that's clipped on my hat and an X5T for feeling my way through the campsite at night.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll get longest, tightest SF throw with a 3 cell light with a SRTH turbohead and an N2 LA. The current SF 2 1/2" TH's don't throw quite as tight a beam.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you`re lucky enough to be able to find one, nothing else among the SF line beats the Classic 12ZM with N62 lamp and 3 inch turbohead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif . Goes 500 yards at least, maybe longer.

But unfortunately it only lasts about 3 minutes before the batteries overheat. You`ll get about three or four of those insane bursts per set before they`re headed for your L4/Arc LS/garbage.

I wouldn`t sell it for anything! It`s just too much fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back in the real world, the Streamlight Ultrastinger throws a good 300 yards when properly focussed. I hear the Tigerlight throws further. I`ve got one of those on the way so I`ll find out soon. Both are rechargeable and run about an hour or so, I think the US goes a little longer but I`m not sure.

wink.gif

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
the longest throwing sf lightI own is the 9NT with a smooth reflector (no dimples at all): it out throws the m6 by far and even the new magcharger !

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
What Chris M said is probably the best (did he mention the n62 is 500 Lumens?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Take what Chris M and Lemlux said and combine it! Get an SRTH and an n62 LA, since the 12PM is discontinued (if you look really hard, you might be able to find one). The SRTH is basically a smaller version (less than 2.5") of the 3" TH the 12PM had (actually the SRTH is the original 12PM head before it was changed).

Either set-up will put the M6 to shame, from what I understand. Much tighter and brighter hotspots...

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send me an e-mail if you really what an older style 3" T-head I know where you can get one for a really good price and it is brand new. I also know where you can get a 3" for an older 9N /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
When the question, "Is the xxxxx the longest throwing light?" is asked, more information is needed. Should be asked more like, "Which 3x123 LS LED has the longest throw?" Otherwise, the answer could be, "My HID driven by a 15 a-hr sealed lead acid battery"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
Send me an e-mail if you really what an older style 3" T-head I know where you can get one for a really good price and it is brand new. I also know where you can get a 3" for an older 9N /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't they make the 3" TurboHead anymore?
Would the 3" work on my new 6P/A19?

If so please email me the info on were I can find one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Chris M. said:
..Back in the real world, the Streamlight Ultrastinger throws a good 300 yards when properly focussed. I hear the Tigerlight throws further. I`ve got one of those on the way so I`ll find out soon. Both are rechargeable and run about an hour or so, I think the US goes a little longer but I`m not sure.

wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The M6 and MagCharger (Brighter Mag bulb) both out throw the Tigerlight. I haven't yet tested the US against either.

Brightnorm

doubleganger

Enlightened
How about what is the longest throw for less than $100 that will fit fairly easily in a pocket. From what I'm reading, I'm thinking the Streamlight TL-3 xenon. Any comments?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL and the US have about the same throw. The TL has a larger hot spot.

brightnorm. I thought the TL out throws the M6 at distance. Under 100m, the M6 is way better.

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
lemlux said:
I think you'll get longest, tightest SF throw with a 3 cell light with a SRTH turbohead and an N2 LA. The current SF 2 1/2" TH's don't throw quite as tight a beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Just try *finding* an N2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Rich

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
The TL and the US have about the same throw. The TL has a larger hot spot.

brightnorm. I thought the TL out throws the M6 at distance. Under 100m, the M6 is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dana,

I would love to do some more "vertical throw" tests to check that out but it may take a while because it's often difficult to have the right circumstances to perform those tests.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Francois1 said:
Hi,
the longest throwing sf lightI own is the 9NT with a smooth reflector (no dimples at all): it out throws the m6 by far and even the new magcharger !

[/ QUOTE ]

Al had mentioned the same thing in a previous post.

Brightnorm

[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
[ QUOTE ]
lemlux said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Just try *finding* an N2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
SUREFIRE N2 - TAKE YOUR PICK

Brightnorm