What should be my next light?? G2? Scorpion? or?

ErikNYC

Newly Enlightened
So far I have an Arc LSH-P which I pretty much EDC since I got it about a month ago. I got my wife an Arc AAA for her keychain and a Legend LX to keep in her car.

I have a old 2 D-cell mag, a few AAA mags (company gifts), a AAA Pelican (another company gift) and a few other cheap LED lights that I just keep in various places around the house.

I was thinking of either a Surefire G2 or Streamlight Scorpion. From what I've read the Scorpion is brighter and has a spare bulb inside. True?

What else out there should I consider? I want something thats going to be brighter than my LSH-P, give decient runtime and be small enough to keep in my car if and when it's ever replaced as the "house light"

I was also thinking of the E2e but I really dont want to spend that much right now.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are about equal quality. I prefer my Scorpion because of the second bulb inside, AND the low cost of replacement bulbs compared to the G2.

The Scorpion also has an adjustable beam, a somewhat derided feature around here; but I find it immensley useful for varying tasks.

If you want to take a chance, Botach usually has either the G2 or Scorpion on sale for $ 30, plus ten free 123's. That is a DEAL.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where in NYC are you Erik? I don't have a G2, but a Scorpion and Pelican M6 are at my disposal. Also I have a Streamlight 1L if you want to give that a try.

rumar

Newly Enlightened
Re: What should be my next light?? G2? Scorpion? or?

What about a SL TT-2L? Almost as brite as a P60 lamp, but with long runtimes on the LEDs.

NewsFlash

Enlightened

ErikNYC,

I am mightily impressed with my Scorpion. The only caution I would give is, to the way you carry it. If it is compressed end to end, the momentary switch can come on, such as a woman might carry in her purse. It does take some pressure to do this, however.

I carry mine in my shirt pocket, bezel down, most of the time. I will be getting some sort of belt pouch for it though, and put a lanyard on my A2 for shirt pocket carry.

For the money, I don't think the Scorpion can be beat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get a Pelican M6 and be done with it. I have both the Scorpion and the G2. Both are nice lights, but the M6 is more mod friendly with regard to the addition of LED's. Surefire battery extensions also work with the M6. It's a very well built light.

FNG

Enlightened

The Scorpion was my first light until I got the G2Z and sold it. Id buy it again if needed.

ErikNYC

Newly Enlightened

Looks like its going to be either the M6 OR the Scorpion. Which ever one is less.

I do like the G2 but the price of the replacment lamps seems high.

Thanks for the advice.

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened

I have had them both (G-2 and the scorpion) the G-2 with the p61 lamp will destroy the scorpion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

But the G2 with the P61 is only rated for 20 minutes of battery life. If you have lots of CR123's by all mean go ahead (SF sells 72 for $90, why not add a few lamps for $18-$25 (depending on P60/P61.) Then add in a spares carrier. $34 or so for the G2, $25 for a P61, thats $59, then add in a healthy supply of SF lithiums (box of 12) for $15, thats $74 already for one light.

www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm has a PM6 for $35 shipped. The Daily Power lithiums are decent for LED lights and low powered lights, but for high output xenons, I would go with Surefire or Kodak 123's, whichever you find for cheaper. I did run test times with my Scorpion for DP's and Kodak 123's. The DP dimmed sooner but lasted longer, about an hour and 42 minutes of life from start to finish (when bulb would no longer even glow, no output, just glow the filament.) The Kodak's burned brighter and dimmed at a later time than the DP's but died faster at an hour 32 minutes or so.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

The G-2 with the P61 is nice, for about 20 minutes, if nothing melts. The M6 is really built well. It's closer to having a Surefire 6P than a Scorpion and the M6 is brighter than either the Scorpion or the G2 w/P60 LA. You could also get a McModule for the M6 and run it with rechargeable li-ions.

I had a couple of Scorpions and G2's at one time. I also had a few M6's. There were such good deals to be had on CPF that I couldn't pass up getting all of them. To help a couple of my LEO friends out, I offered to sell them a couple of lights for what I got them for (which was much cheaper than retail locally). They wanted "inexpensive" so I showed both of them the M6, Scorpion and G2. They both chose the M6 and now some of their friends are also looking for the M6's. They're great lights.

To tell you the truth, if I had to choose one of the three, it would be the M6; however, if you shop around you can get the M6 for $30, the Scorpion for ~$20 and the G2 for ~$23. Get them all and you'll like them all.

pahl

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
The Scorpion was my first light until I got the G2Z and sold it. Id buy it again if needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Scorpion was also my first CR123 light.

Then I got a G2-BK. One thing I did not like about the scorpion was having to remove the bezel to replace the batteries.
I like removing the tail cap better. Not a big deal, but just one of them little things that makes a light all that much nicer for me.

I have gone from Scorpion to G2-BK to E2e, to 6P for EDC.

From your choices you listed I would go with the G2.

I know it's not on your list and it's a lot more, but I would also take a good look at the 6P.

I find that 6P is best for what I like in a EDC light.

Edited to add: The 6P has so many option /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You even have some option with the G2, for example differant lamps.
Other then putting a Surefire KL1 on the Scorpion I can't think of any other options you would have, but then maybe you don't need any.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

whoops, bypassed FNG's post. He sold his Scorpion to me which was also my first lithium light. This was a few months back. Now its a never ending addiction. Always wanting more and brighter.

Only one way to find out get all 3, then sell the two you dislike on BST. I know its a waste of a little bit of money, BUT in the end you will know you tried all 3 and found one to suit you're needs.

I like my Pelican M6 so much, but size is a factor for EDC in my pocket, so Scorpion goes in pocket, PM6 for everything else. I found out with the PM6 I love the LOTC, twist for on, and press for momentary on.

Jason

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened

I have both a g2 and scorpion and they are real close in performance. One light you may want to throw in the mix is the new Streamlight Task Light 2L... It has both 3 leds and incandescent bulb.. Runs for 28 hours in led mode and 2.5 hours in incandescent mode.. The light is not as bright as either the scorpion or G2.. I would say it about 2/3 as bright but throws a wide beam.. You will save on batteries and the bulbs can be had for 6.00 for 2 bulbs from www.brightguy.com

zyk

Newly Enlightened

I suggest Steamlight TT-1L, I just got one yesturday.
Just like Streamlight TT-2L, it has both 3 leds and
incandescent bulb but just use one CR123 battery. The
size is small enough for you to EDC. The Runtime is 9.5hrs on LED mode and 1.5 hrs on incandescent mode.
And the light output in incandescent mode is brighter than
my surefire E1. So this light is bright enough for you to do many task. I love my TT-1L very much!

I hope the above information can help you.

ErikNYC

Newly Enlightened

Now that I think of it, what about the Streamlight TT-2L??

Like I said in my first post, I already have an Arc LSH-P for my "edc" light and I love it. Small, good brightness and reliable.

What I'm looking for now is a general purpose household light. Something bigger than the Arc for comfortable hand-holding and with a brighter/longer throw.

The twin task series seems like a VERY good value for the price but how does the incan performance compare to the G2/ Scorpion/M6??

I really like the idea of having two brightness levels for a general purpose household light.

Thoughts??

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having played with all of the lights mentioned in this thread so far, If you were to be carrying it, I'd recommend the Scorpion provided you were to get the belt sheath from Streamlight to go with it. It has the smallest profile on the belt of the lights mentioned when carried in the intended sheath.

However, you say it's going to be a household light... So in that case I'd say you could go either way - the G2 or the Scorpion primarily based on what kind of switch you like - press/twist or clickie. Plus consider the fact that the Scorpion is focusable (can focus out to a wide flood for close up work) where the G2 is not.

The TT-2L does not have the throw (or brightness) of either the G2, Scorpion, or M6. The M6 has the greatest throw of the bunch, but I wasn't personally too keen on the M6 until a clickie from FlashlightLens.com was added - After that it becomes much more "user friendly" IMHO.

Streamlight also makes the Tactical Light-2 (TL-2) which is essentially the same as the Scorpion, but all aluminum without the rubber sheathed body and has the press/twist switch instead of the clickie...

Without the restriction that you be able to move it to one of the cars, I'd say a household light should be either a rechargable or a C or D cell light. Since you won't be carrying it with you it doesn't need to be small, and the longer runtime should be welcome when used inside the house... Something like the 3-C TwinTask, Elektrolumens Blaster II, etc...

Lots of choices!!!