Fenix E01 vs Mini Mag (Incan)

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Hi there. The fenix e01 is rated at 10 lumens constant output (fenix store) and the mini mag 12-15 lumens (according to a member there). So, my question is, will the fenix e01 output the same luminosity as a mini mag in a small perimeter?

chanjyj

Enlightened
Hi there. The fenix e01 is rated at 10 lumens constant output (fenix store) and the mini mag 12-15 lumens (according to a member there). So, my question is, will the fenix e01 output the same luminosity as a mini mag in a small perimeter?

IMO Minimaglite is around 10 lumens also.

Take note the E01 outputs a constant 10 lumens, the Minimaglite's output will start to drop as battery runs down.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E01 has a permanently floody beam, while the Mini-Mag can be focused to a much tighter and more intense spot.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
The Fenix EO1 is a great little indestructable keyring torch which an aaa will seemingly last forever!
The Mini-Mag incan is a peice of crap. No comparrison is needed further than this.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
I agree with the previous answers. The E01 is controlled as far as output goes, and the LED will never die, which is important if you're comparing to an incan mag.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only area where the minimag might beat the E01 is the throw. And I'm not convinced the E01 could'nt do as good in terms of distance.

No brainer, go with the E01...

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Which mini mag are you speaking of. I suppose I am a little ignorant on the incandescent lights. Are you speaking of the 2A one or the 2AAA one or the single AAA one. Like I said maybe the AAA ones are called something different. At any rate I own all of them. The 2A one and both the single and double AAA ones.

My choice would be the LED light. simply for its light spectrum. It is a more cool white or pure white. The incan.-- light produces a very yellow light. One AA one I have, has the original markings around the Bezel end. I used it very very much at a 40K sq. ft. printing press where I served as maintaince forman when I lived in Canada for a while. My wife is Canadian. That light served me well and I still have it, and it is still in great working order. I do not know if it is mostly Aluminum color/colour or black color/colour since the finish is worn very much. This was way before LED's were out or at least I never heard of them sometime before 1985 when I purchased it in Ontario. Ontario Canada which I thought was a great conversation piece since they are made or at least stationed in Ontario Califorina. Not a day went by in the ~five years I worked at that plant that my trusty maglight was not used.

And if this is your first visit to CPF I hope you were satisfied with the answers you recieved and felt welcome beside the one ingorant :mad::thumbsdow remark that was given.

If this applies :welcome: If not, well, welcome again.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Last edited:

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Think i caught the flashlight virus :S After ordering my first good torch for EDC (e21) and the item is yet to reach me, Im thinking of buying a "key chain" torch. The fenix e01 fits the bill. (Hence me comparing it with minimag which my bro has - my ONLY REFERENCE)

Are there any other affordable 1xAAA lights besides the Preon ReVO which, while being awesome, is out of price!

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
How on earth anyone would buy any incan torch again is beyond my comprehension.:shakehead

I think this person was seeking advice and technical input. I do not believe he was asking anyones opinion. It is called freedom of choice.
:poke:

And it is beyond my comprehension why someone like you would make such an ignorant statement :whoopin:

Maybe this person knows nothing about LED lights. OH and I want to thank you for making this person feel welcome.

Here is your award. :stupid:

Angry Cajun

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the days, I did test my E01 next to the mini Mag that came in my toolbox.

The output is fairly the same
The mini Mag will out-throw the E01 and will also look brighter in the center when focused
The E01 has a very purplish output, so the mini Mag will give you much better color rendition
The E01 will more than likely still be running on the same battery after a dozen changes in the mini Mag's batteries... although it will probably be in "moon mode" which is still bright enough for plenty of tasks you might use a mini Mag for
While you can lose the E01 in your pockets so easily, it is very uncomfortable to wear a mini Mag in your pocket.
The E01 wil supposedly run underwater at 100 feet. Haven't tried this one, but it worked for several hours in a glass of water when I first got it.

There ya go... this is all I could think of. If you where to ask me which one to get, I'd say get the E01. It will last much longer.

BarryG

Enlightened
If you are just wanting a light better than your brothers, check out the lights from ITP. My brother has the SA1 and I got my dad one of the A2's. Reasonably prices and seen to have good quality.
I also got my dad one of the Inova X1's and he say's that it is brighter than the A2. (the A2 is 3 mode and the X1 is only 1 mode)

What kind of budget do you have?

Barry

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
How on earth anyone would buy any incan torch again is beyond my comprehension.:shakehead
Incan setups can still be extremely bright even in a small package compared to the current bright LEDs and have better throw and colour rendition.

The Mini-Mag incan is a peice of crap. No comparrison is needed further than this.
The stock incan bulb is crap perhaps yes however this light has been a excellent host to quite a large variety or upgrades and mods over the years whether it be something LED related or high powered incan options.

I actually have the metal reflector and ceramic base setup from four years ago so that with a Streamlight TL-3 bulb and 2x14500 this light makes the stock incan look like it gives out no light. The downside is you really need a nice kroll switch or such as the bulb tends to wiggle out of base and fall into reflector if you use the head to turn on/off. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/auroralite_hotwire.htm

Lucciola

Enlightened
Hi SuLyMaN, welcome among us weird flashlight nerds! (I like to be such a nerd! :D).

I had one of those keychain lights long time ago and would like to add one point to the above comments: An LED will never burn through (hope this is the correct expression).

You can drop an LED keychain light which had already run for an hour and it will not do any harm to it. Try this with the minimag, well better don't.

If you want to spend slightly more than the money for an E01 I would recommend the ITP A3 EOS. The advantage over the Fenix is that it has three brightness level, so you can choose a dim light if you don't want to disturb others or want long runtime, or you can run it on full blast if you give a youknowhat on runtime.

One further point on the minimag: It looks nice for exactly two moments. In the shop and when it comes first out of the box. I found the anodizing (the black outside coating) far inferior to virtually any other light I had in my hands so far. Honestly, after a week it'll look like Indiana Jones used it to save the world.

Even the Fenix E01 which has IMHO not a very durable anodizing will scratch in the same time significantly less.

Definitely I encourage you to get a keychain light, preferably LED. I have several lights, some of which are very bright and offer splendid runtimes. And you know which light is the most useful? It's my tiny boring keychain light, because it is always with me, always handy and always brighter than the big light which is at home in the drawer :grin2:.

Greetings from the Old World :wave:

Lucciola

scout24

Flashaholic
And nobody gives the standard CPF answer of "Just get both."? Hello and welcome... The EO1 would be my preference, runtime and durability being the primary reasons. Simply bombproof. If you type "Fenix EO1" into the search bar at the top of the page, or "Fenix EO1 review" you will likely be able to spend hours reading testimonials about this cool little light. If you are in the US, P.M. me your mailing address. I'll send you one so you can try one out. lovecpf

looky

Newly Enlightened
If you go ahead and get an EO1, just be aware that it is a gateway flashlight. Before long, you'll get another very good light and then a great light. And then get more and more.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you have a 2AA minimag consider investing in a $7 niteize dropin if you like the form factor. It has more output and with 2AAs driving it will run long enough. You can shop around and find minimag incans for ~$8 and niteize dropins for ~$8 which is about what a 1AAA E01 costs. Or in the states around thanksgiving the minimag LEDs are on sale for ~$10.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this person was seeking advice and technical input. I do not believe he was asking anyones opinion. It is called freedom of choice.
:poke:

And it is beyond my comprehension why someone like you would make such an ignorant statement :whoopin:

Maybe this person knows nothing about LED lights. OH and I want to thank you for making this person feel welcome.

Here is your award. :stupid:

Angry Cajun

Next time I am in your neck of the woods I will deliver your prize in person,all my old Mini Mags,you are welcome to them,sorry I am only in to Led.;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

There are far, far better inca. torches out there than a Mini-M@g.

If I didn't own it already, I'd buy a SureFire M6. Even have a nice rechargeable set-up I can use with it.

Who wants to compare the E01 to an M6? :grin2: