Malkoff vs New Surefire lights

5Sport

Enlightened
I was about to buy a M61WL or M61L,(For a Solarforce that I have), because I love my M61, but now I'm wonderring, with the new Surefires coming out, what to do.

The new Surefires are a complete light, and dual stage, for much less than the Malkoff drop in.

Would I be crazy to buy the Malkoff? It sounds like the new Surefires might be the way to go.

I also live near the Surefire factory?

HELP :confused:

pwatcher

Enlightened
I don't think anybody here would call you "crazy" whichever decision you made between another, but different config Malkoff vs a new SF.

If you wanted actually useful feedback, tell us more about how you will use the next light/module you purchase? And is there a reason you couldn't get BOTH choices you are wavering between, and sell the one that doesn't meet your requirements?

And exactly which new SF model are you considering? :popcorn:

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
It's apples and oranges.

If you need the dual output then the SF is what you need. If you need single output I would stick with the Malkoff.

SF, does not, equal the M61L in terms of full output over a long period in a way that's useful for me. The 200 lumen SF is for 2 hours and then it tapers. The M61L runs at 170 lumens for a full five hours before tapering.

I much prefer the Malkoff under those circumstances and that's what I run in my lights. 200/2 vs. 170/5. That's an easy choice for me.

5Sport

Enlightened
I do like the long run time of the Malkoff, but for 70.00 plus shipping, I can get the new G2X for 20% off at REI for about 50.00.

Tough choice. I want both, but I might want to eat this week. :confused:

I find it hard too pull the trigger on a drop in when an entire light is considerably cheaper.

Someone push me in the right direction. The light is for general use, as I already have a pretty good supply of lights.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I mention the MD2 with high/low ring. The high will run for a couple of hours on a single 18650 on high and run for days on low.

You can also use 2xCR123, 2xRCR123 and even a 17650 if you want. Or you could even get an MD4 body and run 2x18650 for super long runtimes.

5Sport

Enlightened
The MD2 is over a 100.00 and still doesn't help my quest. For that much money, I can buy two G2X's. How does that help my decision?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2 is over a 100.00 and still doesn't help my quest. For that much money, I can buy two G2X's. How does that help my decision?

I have been wanting to get an MD2 for ages now and finally got one this week. Expensive yes, worth it, YES! I've never owned a Surefire but I've handled a couple and to be honest I couldn't see the value (I know they're tough but really...) and I thought the Malkoff was even more of a value risk.

Not anymore. The quality and craftsmanship of the MD2 is superb and the battery options make it a clear winner for me. Plus, in a few years when you feel the need for even more lumens, you just have to upgrade the module not the whole light.

Is there anyone else here who can vouch for the Malkoff MD2 and how good a job Gene has done in it's design and execution?

snakyjake

Enlightened
From my reading, and I'm trying to put together a list of differences (Malkoff MD2/M61 vs. Surefire G2X Pro):

Hi/Low Operation

Surefire's dual output is at the tail switch: "Dual-output tailcap click switch—press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high".

Nice one hand operation, but lots of clicks to find what you want. I assume no momentary high, but that doesn't make any sense, so maybe the way I'm reading this is wrong. I personally like the one hand operation.

Malkoff's: "High/Low is controlled by head rotation. The On/Off switch is a forward clicky with momentary function."

Need two hands. Not sure if you can over rotate the head (loosen too much by accident). This is good if you want a set/forget simple operation.

Tail standing

Surefire = No.
Malkoff = yes for an extra $15.

Batteries

Surefire = CR123A
Malkoff = CR123A/18650

Runtime/Illumination

Surefire = 200/2
Malkoff = 170/5

Someone already mentioned the 200/2 vs. 170/5. 2 hours is plenty, 5 is better. I have a Fenix P3D and never complained about runtime with my rechargeables.

Price

By the time I add everything I want for a Malkoff...it becomes real expensive (2x the price of the Surefire).

Other

Surefire anti-roll.

Beam shots

Surefire = Unknown.
Malkoff = Excellent.

For me it is going to come down to operation and the huge price difference. Surefire is a lot less, and I like one-hand operation.

Illumination and runtime is important, but I typically run on low and occasionally on high, therefore I don't go through many batteries (I also use rechargeable).

I'm leaning towards Surefire. Waiting for beam shots before I make final decision.

Jake

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jake, you can operate the MD2 with one hand easily. When I go for a walk with my dog I turn it on at the start of the walk and when I get to the few sections that have a street light, I simply twist the head with one hand to low so that I'm not looking like a dork shining a bright light where there is plenty of street lighting.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just like other SureFire clickie TailCap switches, the G2X/6PX Pro clickies allow momentary pressure to activate the light since you must push through a comfortable amount of switch travel before the latch engages.

I can cycle from the first mode to the second mode without having to latch the clickie. When the light is on the mode I want I can simply push all the way to latch it constant-on.

It doesn't beat the seamless simplicity of the two-stage push button pressure switch in my experience.

TheTana13

Newly Enlightened
I always laugh when I read your commenting of high price of SF by mentionin hunger/food for upcoming week... lol...
The truth is that both SF and Malkoff are top quality and the only reason why Malkoff seems to be more expensive are small quantity productions vs. SF huge series...
I'm using M61WL in my 6P flash light and am more than happy with brightness/tint/runtime. I'm not thinking about 6PX but I KNOW that down that time I will wake up one morning and not be calm until I order/buy it.
For people already bitten by CPF bug I would suggest Malkoff, either M61 or M61W, M61WL or M61L because they can be intechanged between numerous bodies that user already probaby have in collection... for lower demanding users or newbies, PX6 seems perfect investment...
Whatever you choose, there is NOONE in this world, not to mention CPF who would call you crazy because of your choice... It's what makes YOU happy and satisfied, not people around you... Malkoff drop-ins for SF are like aftermarket upgrades for cars such as BMW M3...
What I like about Malkoff ??? They seem to always have better runtime for equally bright choices and written fact that you can utilize higher voltage rechargable batteries versus using 7.2V, for example, in a light that's pretty expensive and made for 6V... it will work just fine but for how long ???

jellydonut

Enlightened
Depends what you're after really. If you were choosing between a Surefire with the dual-stage tailcap (LX2, Aviator, those lights) and a Malkoff I'd tell you to get the Surefire and not look back, but the clicky mode changer tailcaps are on my hate list so I wouldn't in good conscience recommend it. Of course, some people actually like those UIs, more power to 'em I guess.:crazy:

Also, I only have one Surefire with their nat. HA, but from that one (A2 Aviator) the black HA on my Malkoffs seems much, much harder/thicker. The anodizing can scratch off from steel tools on the SF, the Malkoff you pretty much have to throw into a concrete barrier to ding the ano. Maybe SF has thicker anodizing on the newer ones, I have no experience with them yet.

Vesper

Enlightened
For me it is going to come down to operation and the huge price difference. Surefire is a lot less, and I like one-hand operation.

Both are a great choice. Weirdly, I hadn't even heard of these new SF's before this - they look REALLY interesting. For the price, I'll definitely pick one up (dual output one likely - low is a must).

I also have the MD2 hi/lo with M61WL - tail standing with clip add-on too. Your own preference is the answer to your quandary, but for me personally Malkoff wins out for the things already mentioned: 18650, tailstanding, warm output, and ability to upgrade in the future. I enjoy the UI of both equally for different reasons.

Price is definitely a factor. Good luck. I'm also looking forward to beamshots.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my reading, and I'm trying to put together a list of differences (Malkoff MD2/M61 vs. Surefire G2X Pro):

Hi/Low Operation

Surefire's dual output is at the tail switch: "Dual-output tailcap click switch—press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high".

Nice one hand operation, but lots of clicks to find what you want. I assume no momentary high, but that doesn't make any sense, so maybe the way I'm reading this is wrong. I personally like the one hand operation.

Malkoff's: "High/Low is controlled by head rotation. The On/Off switch is a forward clicky with momentary function."

Need two hands. Not sure if you can over rotate the head (loosen too much by accident). This is good if you want a set/forget simple operation.

Tail standing

Surefire = No.
Malkoff = yes for an extra $15.

Batteries

Surefire = CR123A
Malkoff = CR123A/18650

Runtime/Illumination

Surefire = 200/2
Malkoff = 170/5

Someone already mentioned the 200/2 vs. 170/5. 2 hours is plenty, 5 is better. I have a Fenix P3D and never complained about runtime with my rechargeables.

Price

By the time I add everything I want for a Malkoff...it becomes real expensive (2x the price of the Surefire).

Other

Surefire anti-roll.

Beam shots

Surefire = Unknown.
Malkoff = Excellent.

Illumination and runtime is important, but I typically run on low and occasionally on high, therefore I don't go through many batteries (I also use rechargeable).

I'm leaning towards Surefire. Waiting for beam shots before I make final decision.

Jake

In this comparison you don't mention that the Surefires in question are plastic (Nitrolon) body units and the Malkoff MD2 is a Hard Anodized over Aluminum body type unit. Although I like nitrolon for wintertime because they don't transfer cold as much, I always found them harder to grip when my hand was sweaty in the summer time.

Also if he decides to upgrade to a higher power Malkoff module the host can handle it just fine.

jellydonut

Enlightened
The new, budget Surefires also come in anodized aluminium (6PX Tactical/Pro), same emitters, respective UIs, etc. Somewhat higher price than the Nitrolon though.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is get the G2X, and if you think you want the Malkoff instead, sell the G2X and then get your Malkoff

hotlight

Enlightened
Easy, get an MD2 with high/low ring and be done with it. You can use 2xCR123, 2xRCR123, 1x18650, 1x17650 and the quality is superb.

I like this idea best.

Malkoff drop in, in a Malkoff host is the way to go.

Im holding off on the new SFs for now, in case there is any bugs/issues. But will eventually get one.