Fenix E21 - first impressions

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad. Despite bringing the cost down Fenix does not appear to have skimped on quality in this light. I too am tired of the buy-it-and-break-it-on-the-first-day rubbish, quality absolutely matters to me. The idea is to reduce cost without compromise in quality.

Fenix got this right except for the horrendous clamshell packaging which did cause some injury when I was opening it. Make the plastic thinner please. I hate this kind of packaging. I need to buy some garden shears of suitable size for the next time I encounter things like this.

That aside, the E21 is very nice. Compared to a LD20, it is a much thicker, bigger light. Build quality of the light is solid, rugged and well executed - the same standard we've come to expect from the Fenix lights.

Fenix also put some serious thought into the reflector, which is optimized for the Cree XP-G emitter. This light really does throw pretty well while retaining a suitably useful sidespill beam for navigation work. It has a smooth reflector with slightly visible machining lines but the beam quality is impeccable.

There isn't much that's complicated about the E21. Twist the head for selecting levels, forward clicky switch in the tail, doesn't tailstand. Good enough.

If you're looking for a simple, solid, bright practical utility light for the non-flashaholics, this is it. I'm buying them for precisely this purpose.

d337944

Enlightened
Hi Kevin.

Good to hear mate! I have two of the Neutral White versions coming ... hopefully next week! :twothumbs

I'll try to post some follow up comments and impressions on them as well.

Cheers for now,

Andrew

goldenlight

Enlightened
I bought a cool white E21 for less than $35, delivered, in the USA.

I have better flashlights, but for the money, the D21 certainly represents a remarkably good value!

The lower setting is good for most closer use, and the high mode has a lot of throw.

The tail cap locks out easily with a half twist.

Fenix has a real winner with this budget priced, well made, great performing flashlight.

To put it in perspective, it costs LESS than a STANDARD model Arc AAA, delivered.

Not much of a comparison, in my book.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix got this right except for the horrendous clamshell packaging which did cause some injury when I was opening it. Make the plastic thinner please. I hate this kind of packaging. I need to buy some garden shears of suitable size for the next time I encounter things like this.
I totally agree on this.

I received an E10 and an E21 (neutral) this week and getting the lights out of the packaging was an adventure to say the least.

I dulled the blade on one of my multitools trying to free the E10 :fail:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fenix E21 isn't an xp-g from what I understand....which emitter did you get? Any beamshots? Thanks for your review.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Sheesh, can't believe I missed this thread. Maybe put something like 'affordable 2xAA' in the title.. alternatively 'hey impatient idiot, look here before making your own thread:poke:' :(

I think some of these will find their way under a Christmas tree or more this holiday season.

So the mode changing happens by twisting, and not by clicking? On 4sevens.com the description and image conflict - description says click, image says bezel twist. It's bezel twist switching, right?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
So the mode changing happens by twisting, and not by clicking? On 4sevens.com the description and image conflict - description says click, image says bezel twist. It's bezel twist switching, right?

It's wrong in the 4sevens description.
The tailclicky is just on and off.
With the head of the light tightened you have the high output and with the head a little loosen it's the low output.

I don't have the E21 but I have the TK20 and the LD25 that works in the same way and I think it's a very simple and good UI.

pwr

Newly Enlightened
I have the NW version, sturdy, bright and simple to operate; perfect for a friend, I may get one for myself.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they're XP-E not XP-G emitters in the E21.

Oops, my bad. Glanced into the front end and thought "Looks a lot like my XPG" :p

Sheesh, can't believe I missed this thread. Maybe put something like 'affordable 2xAA' in the title.. alternatively 'hey impatient idiot, look here before making your own thread:poke:' :(

I think some of these will find their way under a Christmas tree or more this holiday season.

Hehe!

Yes, twist style that they pioneered with the L1D and L1T series. IMO it seems pretty innovative to me as I have not seen this anywhere else before - and still don't. Their driver boards have two ground inputs, one thru the shell of the light, and another ring around the base of the driver. When the bezel is turned slightly, the light grounds through the shell of the light in low mode. When you tighten it down all the way, the rim of the body mates with the other ring on the driver and engages high mode, at least that's how I think it works.

This is a great light. The review is short precisely because it is so easy to understand and explain to non-flashaholics who may not need or want to remember what to do. Unscrew head or base to remove batteries, load up AA's, away ya go. At $38 shipped (to me) it's great value. Common cells, easy to find, no lithium batteries to manage, NiMH rechargeable option, bright, white, list goes on. Great giveaway.

This light should be the successor to the L2T, and I think it's doing a great job. I was actually interested in the L2T for this purpose, but the price of this light made me figure I'd try it.

For those of us who like more modes, there's the LD20+ :D

seatrue

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, this light is like the perfect gift light - unless going for a real small size (1xAA,AAA). I bought 2 of the neutral Q4's and already gave one away. (I like giving away the neutral, most people would likely think it's a really bright halogen - haha) - Keeping the other for myself of course. Found this review to be right on.

The only thing I can say, since I am familiar with the TK20 : the beam is pretty much exactly the same with the E21 Q4 as far as the size, definition, and throw of the hotspot. (the E21 has a slight bit more of a brighter transition from the hotspot to the side spill - because of a slight increase in efficiency of the reflector over the TK20) Another thing, when using lithium batteries, the E21's regular/low mode is much brighter - very close to the higher/turbo mode. This light is only for alkalines and nimh batteries for proper mode operation.

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
I saw on fenix store website two kinds of E21.

The cool white is the R2?

Is the R2 better than the Q4?

I will be using mostly for outdoor use?

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Oh man....I've just ordered some lithium batteries for my e21 that is currently somewhere in the air :D (bought from 4sevens). This torch does not accept lithium batteries??

seatrue

Newly Enlightened
i think the Q4 would be better for outdoor use because it shows the outdoor colors the eye is used to seeing in the daytime more accurately.

/and it will run on lithium batteries, i tried it briefly, but there was little difference between the two modes unlike with the alkalines and nimh batteries.

TITANER

Newly Enlightened
i think the Q4 would be better for outdoor use because it shows the outdoor colors the eye is used to seeing in the daytime more accurately.

/and it will run on lithium batteries, i tried it briefly, but there was little difference between the two modes unlike with the alkalines and nimh batteries.
I agree with you ,the Q4 would be more better if you use it for outdoor:)