Thoughts about the LensLight Mini CR123? (focusing lens) Where to get?

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Have any of you had the experience of owning or using one of those focusing lenslights? The idea seems awesome and perhaps a big 'duh' in regards to flashlights. I read one of the reviews by "csshih" and it looks pretty impressive. It appears that it is made in the US and has 220 lumens with a claimed effective range of 200 yards.

LensLight doesn't seem to have them in stock...know of any other dealers?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/270997

IMG_2448_processed.JPG

IMG_2452_processed.JPG

IMG_2357_processed.JPG

netprince

Enlightened
I have the 2AA version described here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208292

I do like the focusing aspect. Fairly clean from spot to flood. There is a ring around the spot, but that doesn't bother me. Mine has very flat regulation on eneloops and energizer lithiums. I find the light works great for use in public places, as the light output is easy to control so I dont have to worry about blinding people.

I'm not fond of the lack of seal around the moving part of the head, which is used to focus the light. I've noticed a bit of grit getting in there, and when focusing the light, I can feel it scratching. I dont see a way to open that part of the light so I can clean it. (not sure if the cr123 version is sealed or not)

Would I buy it all over again at that same price? Doubtful. Sub $100 and perhaps.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one on loan for testing and while 7k lux at 1m might be impressive for its size, there are similar sized lights that will give you alot more lux but not focusable. I have two Surefire L1's that net me 9.8k lux and 14.5k lux and a particular Kx2 bezel w/ K2 TFFC that did 13.5K lux at 220ish OTF.

The LensBright CR123 IMHO is not bright and doesnt throw, but I would purchase it for other reasons. Its unique and build like a tank. Most importantly it has a focusable feature which I think is cool. I want one :D

Here are the numbers for the sample I got: That is 89.2 OTF lumens with a tight narrow beam and 164.6 OTF when in flood mode.
LensBright CR123 Mini___XR-E R2____Wide____Surefire CR123_______164.6______1 sec_____________________
LensBright CR123 Mini___XR-E R2___Focused__ Surefire CR123_______89.2_______1 sec_____________________

Dan FO

Enlightened
Superb build quality and just stupid tough. Great throw and the best anodizing in the business. McGizmo switch and GDuP 3 speed driver that remembers the last mode. A bottle cap defuser makes it a great indoor light.
Mine is Custom #57

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, only some of the prototypes got the GDuP driver. The production units used something else.

Latest posts