30mm optic on KL3

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, time for another Franken-light. This time I took a KL3 and rammed (sort of) a 30mm optic into it. The 30mm optic, available from Elektrolumens, does not fit into the KL3 without removing some material around the circumference of the optic. Fortunately, removal of this material does not in any way adversely affect the beam. The LED used in this case is a Q3J I got from KK from that fantastic sale. It is overdriven to 700mA.

This is how the optic fits in the KL3. Notice the retaining ring does not screw in flush due to the height of the optic.
fb38ddc1.jpg

Now for the customary beam shots we've grown accustomed to. The first one compares the KL3 with a KL1 overdriven to 700mA, also using another Q3J from KK, and a Surefire 6Z with Pila 3.7V lamp assembly and 17670 Li-ion. KL3 on left, KL1 in center, 6Z on right.

fb38f3c2.jpg

Last photo puts an L4 in the middle.

fb38f3ba.jpg

Now before you all go out and buy a KL3 and 30mm optic, let me say a few words here. The KL3 does *not* put out more light than the KL1, L4 or the Pila lamp. Using the ceiling test, the KL3 and KL1 are roughly the same in brightness which is probably 1/2 that of the L4. The 30mm optic is just better at harnessing all the photons emanating from the LED and focusing it into an extremely tight beam. There is almost no sidespill from this optic, which to me can be a big disadvantage. When I'm out walking at night, I don't want to have to swing my light back and forth to see where I'm going. This is where the L4 (and the overdriven KL1) excel. However, the flood type light is probably good out only to 40-50 yards when it's pitch black outside. Ambient light will severely degrade this. Having said that, let me comment on the 30mm optic next.

From what you can see above, the hotspot of the KL3 is roughly equal to the incandescent. In actual use, this is also the case. I just came back from a night desert hike with an L4, modded KL3, modded KL1, and the 6Z with pila lamp. The 6Z and KL3 were very close in performance. I could not believe I was illuminating objects out to 150-200 yards with the KL3. Bear in mind the ambient lighting where I'm at is almost non-existant. To me this is pretty phenominal for a LED driven to about 2.5W. The price for this throw is the almost non-existent sidespill. However, for specific applications where all you want is throw, this is it folks. Sidespill can actually degrade the perceived brightness of a beam when you're trying to reach out and touch someone out in excess of 100 yards. This is because the corona from the near field tends to obscure that object that's way out there. If you can keep everything in the dark except the one that you're reaching out to, that's a far more effective way to illuminate.

I started this out as an experiment, thinking I would restore the KL3 back to its original 5W configuration. Having been unable to wipe the big grin off my face after tonight's hike, I think I'll leave this the way it is. This just totally blew me away. You guys with the big cahuna-long-throw lights from Mr Bulk (reflector) and Elektrolumens (30mm optics), I think I now know how bright your lights really are. I think I see the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CM, that is really good. EK type spot, running 2+ hours at good brightness, in a little flashlight. A worthy mod.

Bill

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bill. What's an EK type spot?

Here's some measurements. It draws 360mA off 2 Li-Ion's so 4+hours on a 2 18500 Li-Ion and 2 hours on a single 17670 Li-Ion. Actual LED current is 740mA.

I keep going outside to play with this light, it never ceases to amaze. I turned it on and lay it on a table, walked about 40 yards away and tried to look into the beam. It was very-very uncomfortable. Went into the house with all the lights off, put it on the island, and did the same thing. This is one light that would be an excellent non-lethal force option. The blinding white light is painful to look at from about 25-feet. Wished it had a bit more sidespill. A definite keeper to my mod collection.

CM

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just had to post the beam shots didn't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif VERY IMPRESSIVE. OK, I need to sell something so I can get a KL3 and a body for it. I was thinking a 3x123 body. Is that a buck/boost in there? If you're gonna go with the big head, might as well go with the long body.

By the way, just for kicks, did you try the 30mm with a 5 watter? I wonder if you'd get the doughnut hole?

CM, I'll be in touch about my next mod!! I think I'll use one of my R2H's that I have coming in.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice cm! i've always wondered why they used an nx05 when there was so much room for a better colmination option.

do you think a pelican m6 reflector might fit? it's a little smaller than the 30mm optic and produces a great beam.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,
Is there a lens in there? The typical super thick pyrex? Thinner mineral glass may allow the retaining ring to seat properly. Very cool light!!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
roth,

If it's shorter than the 30mm, then it would probably fit. From the first photo above, the 30mm optic is too tall by maybe 2mm. I may have to get one of these reflectors. But I'm not touching *this* mod (I'll probably screw it up). I'm gonna have to get another KL3 to mod. Pelican reflector + 5W on KL3? Hmmmmm.

CM

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the KL3 work on a G2? That may be my way in!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And to think, I was almost starting to get bored.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ooh, very nice mod CM. It's like the KL3 head was made for a 30mm. Hey pk, you watchin' this?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

hideo

Enlightened
the 30 mm is pretty amazing--I have one of Wayne's $30 plastic headlights that uses it and it's a scorcher--puts most of my other more "technical" one watt lights to shame ...

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get a 30mm not to rattle in a 2D Mag head housing a Q3J ...

hideo

hideo

Enlightened
Charlie, I've heard it said that the 30mm is a dropin on the Mag, but mine would need a stack of O rings ... hmmm ... wonder if I have a counterfeit 30 mm

why are you posting? , I thought you were busy with the remodel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW I was going to e-mail you but ... do you have anymore of those R#M switches left? (could use more)

hideo

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what lens are you using? a ucl would take care of some space. they're so darn clear you could probably get away with using two if you really need to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 30mm optic will not allow the stock pyrex lens to fit. The construction is LED-Optic-retaining ring. I need to get some write right (sp?) to protect the optic.

I did try the 5W which is the configuration before this mod. The optic just produced a very distinct donut hole, much worse than the NX05. I think the displacement of the optic from the LED can mitigate this somewhat but I have no reliable way of making this adjustment. So off came the 5W and in came the 1W.

The nice thing is that this head will work with my 6Z, and for those that have the other 2-cell and 3-cell lights like the 9Z, C2, C3 etc.

Hideo, I hear you about the headlight. I took this out last night on my mountain bike and it throws far enough I could use it to light my way at about 15-20 mph which is pretty dang fast on a mountain bike.

CM

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CM,

Nice work! The Pelican M6 reflector will give you more room to play with but it will still have a spill of light and not have quite the concentration of photons that the 30 mm has. I too have come to appreciate the value in some conditions of not having the distraction and impairment of a well lit foreground obscuring an object illuminated at a distance. There is something to be said for a "search" light consisting of only the center circle of light when the terrain has near objects that would be too bright if illuminated from a spill beam.

I visited a 30 mm in KL3 a while ago and it was quite a PITA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I too had the retaining ring sticking out a bit from the head as you can see in photo below.

mutt-G2Z-CK.jpg

EDIT: Charlie,

You can rest assured that PK is WAY ahead of us on these things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

- Don

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, Don, so this mod isn't an original /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, I had fun with it. PITA is right. Dreml helps but it's very laborious.

A bit of spill is useful to me. Now I'm gonna have to go over to the sandwich shop to get one of those PM6 reflectors. As far as PK, I sure hope he's way ahead of us. Can't wait to see what they pop out next.

CM

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CM,

Your mod is original! We just used some of the same components. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Just because PK is way ahead of us doesn't mean we can't keep him on his toes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif With your well rounded knowledge, I think you are in a great position to keep the pressure on developement of illumination tools in general! Keep it up sir.

- Don

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, thanks for the kind words, no need to address me as sir either (I think it should be the other way around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). I think all the skillful modders here on CPF goes a long ways in helping flashlight manufacturers develop better products, that is if they're paying any attention to us. I suspect PK is a fly in the wall around here and hope he continues lurking.

Cris

hideo

Enlightened
KL3 is on the way and now I can see that parts scavenging from the PM6 is in order (jeeez, another gutted carcass in the drawer)...

CM, so it sounds like you dremelled the optic down to fit--I had pictured an easy few seconds with the lathe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

can't remember for sure, but thought you had posted on the emitter swap on KL3/KL1--was it a huge pain? McGizmo, any comments? (if it was a small pain for you two, it'll be a huge pain for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

hideo

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
hideo,

Hey congrats on the KL3, I think I was third in line for that thing and you and I both had the same plans for it, he he.

There's excesss material around the circumference of the optic that needs to be removed to be able to slide the optic into the cavity. I'd like to know if a lathe can do the job without marring the optic. If it can, I've got some optics to $end to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The emitter swap isn't that difficult once you get the head apart. You have to remove the ring holding the pyrex lens in place, and then you need to remove the circuit to rebias the regulator. This is done from the battery side of the KL3. If you can tolerate scratches on your KL3, it won't be such a huge pain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I hate marring such a fine piece of machining though. But, all the threaded parts are epoxied in place.

CM