30mm optic on KL3

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
How did you detach the retainer ring? Is it possible to soften the glue beside using Acetone? Acetone is the one used for nail varnish removal, right? I want to open my KL2, and look at possible mod there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernhard,

Yes, acetone is what I used. Careful you don't use too much since it can get into places you don't want it to go. Keep it localized to the thread area. Don't have a KL2 but that looks like a possibility for some mods, maybe add regulation.

CM

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hideo,

You can chuck the 30 mm by the rear lip and turn down the shoulder behind the face to your target OD. You don't have much depth to work with before you part the optic from the flanged lip but it is enough to allow for re chucking by the front and then coming in from the rear, you can remove the balance of the flange. Hard to describe but with the part in hand, I think you will understand.

As to breaking the adhesive bonds on the parts, I have found heating the parts to 170 - 180F has allowed for success. I use a pair of needle nose pliers on the lens retaining ring and typically I have chewed up the plastic a bit before getting the ring to break free. With care, I have been usually able to avoid marring the HA.

- Don

hideo

Enlightened
CM and McG--

I'm flattered to think you guys assume that I have the skill to turn, not to mention owning a lathe-- I was referring to a qualified person's "few seconds" --I'm a Dremel hack from way back (angle grinders, chainsaws--that's MY idea of machining!)

(what kinda' special grinding bit you use on the optic?)--thanks for the description tho'--helps ...

CM you rebiased the regulator?--it's not running that close to the edge driving a 1W is it? Now, I'm way out of my league--hmmmm ... the head may have to take another trip ... to CM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hideo

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't use acetone for your nails. This stuff will probably melt your brain if you use it a lot without a gas mask and gloves. It makes a goo of many types of plastic. It evaporates very quickly as well.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
hideo,

I use a heavy duty cutting wheel to score the plastic around the optic. I then break off the pieces using a needle nose, and then more dreml to smooth out the burrs. The regulator has a beefy FET so it's not really running it close to the edge. The LED on the other hand... Well I guess people have been driving these things to over an amp. As long as you pay attention to thermal management, you should be OK. By the time you blow up the LED, we're gonna be swimming in T3H 1W parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AilSnail,

my brains are already melted, can't you tell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The fumes are not good in any way, just make sure you have proper ventillation. The plastic ring is actually pretty impervious to the acetone. I use the acetone solvent you get from Home Depot. Nail polish remover has too much "girly-girl" stuff in it, I want the manly type.

CM

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a lathe can do a great job of turning down the optic! i turned down the extra "crap" on the 30mm optic, to the point where it wasn't all that much larger than the pelican reflector. this is the ideal thing to do, as it doesn't really affect quality, and when putting it in a totally custom head, it is nice to make it as small as possible.

i made a piece of delrin that goes into the hole on the bottom. it pressfits onto it, and if you use high rpms and shallow cuts it holds it well enough. i also have a very special livecenter specifically made for turning optics, which is very helpful also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
roth

Could you explain what a live center is? I've heard the term and haven't a clue what it does. I don't have a lathe but thanks to CPF'ers like you, I've been looking on and off for one. Seems like modding electronics just isn't good enough anymore. I'm think I'm catching McGizmo-itis. Kaaaa-ching! There goes more money.

CM

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, as a warning. if you do get your lathe, don't tell anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

a live center is used to hold the other end of the stock in place so it isn't ripped out of the chuck. it is called a live center, because it spins with the material, whereas a deadcenter does not spin, but the material spins around it.
my optic-turner isn't a livecenter in the true sense, since it would do no good in turning any metal, but it works great for turning optics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif & a good explanation on the beam functionality of the various optical arrangements.. I often have difficulty trying to find the right words to express what I'm seeing in my tests. Well done.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
roth,

Thanks for the explanation. I get it now. If I do get a lathe, people here will know when I start copying McGizmo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, probably can't do as good a job as Don can.

Slick,

Thanks. Glad to be able to shed some light on the subject.

CM

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CM,

Don't bother copying! Lead! I'll follow, if I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the problem with don, is that he's done everything. i've come up with "origional" ideas, just to have somone point out "oh cool...don did that too, heres the link" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

if we could some how lock him in a closet for a year, we might eventually be able to catch up with him...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell me about it. Go up several posts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This thread probably belongs to him. Though if we lock him up, all this neat stuff wouldn't get done. I'd say let's leave him out of the cage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Just let me know guys so I can make plans.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif