Surefire MN15 on 2x18650s?

curtispdx

Enlightened
Came across a turbo head and MN15 for a price I could not refuse, even though I have no idea what to do with it. Can I run it off two IMR 18650s?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came across a turbo head and MN15 for a price I could not refuse, even though I have no idea what to do with it. Can I run it off two IMR 18650s?

Yes, you can but you will get better bulb life using 2 protected 18650
Not to mention run time will be much longer too.
2 IMR 18650 and MN16 is BAD idea.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my MN15 on 2xIMR18500's (I prefer the 9P, 9Z, M3 size much more than the M4 size) all day long for over 2 years. It is an awesome setup! Like Varooj said, you'll get longer runtime with the protected batts, but there are more advantages with IMR's in my opinion (even though they have a lower capacity). First off, there is no protection circuit to trip or fail when in use. Also, the IMR batteries can be recharged at much higher Amperage rates than the protected batts. These two advantages alone make IMR cells a no brainer for me compared to the older protected batteries.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Thanks, fellas. I wish I would have kept my bi-pin adapter, I'd like to have run an 1111 with it.

Anyway, I found this KT2 and MN15 for $55 and couldn't pass it up. (Not sure if it was a good deal but it's an interesting piece.)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my MN15 on 2xIMR18500's (I prefer the 9P, 9Z, M3 size much more than the M4 size) all day long for over 2 years. It is an awesome setup! Like Varooj said, you'll get longer runtime with the protected batts, but there are more advantages with IMR's in my opinion (even though they have a lower capacity). First off, there is no protection circuit to trip or fail when in use. Also, the IMR batteries can be recharged at much higher Amperage rates than the protected batts. These two advantages alone make IMR cells a no brainer for me compared to the older protected batteries.

That and the light is a little brighter with the IMR's. The IMR's are also just a tiny bit lighter in weight.

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
Yes, you can but you will get better bulb life using 2 protected 18650
Not to mention run time will be much longer too.
2 IMR 18650 and MN16 is BAD idea.

Agree.

I have been using 2x AWs 2200mah protected button top 18650s for some 2 years. Mostly run the MN15, where I get not quite 2 hours of runtime. Get approx. 45 min. with the MN16. My setup = SF KT4 + Leef 2x18650 body + Leef clickie. Great light that I absolutely love.

I do not believe that you need IMRs at all for those bulbs.

Now having said that, one example of where you will need IMR batteries, is with the Lumens Factory IMR-M3T 7.4v 700 lumen bulb assembly. The LF website states that you should get about 25 minutes of runtime on 2xIMR18650s. But they also state that it should not be run for more than 10 min. due to heat issues.

Regards

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now having said that, one example of where you will need IMR batteries, is with the Lumens Factory IMR-M3T 7.4v 700 lumen bulb assembly. The LF website states that you should get about 25 minutes of runtime on 2xIMR18650s.
You will get over 880 lumens using 2 protected 18650 and WA1111 for about 45 minutes in same package size.
This is much brighter than MN16, less cost replacement bulb and safe for batteries.

zehnmm

Enlightened
You will get over 880 lumens using 2 protected 18650 and WA1111 for about 45 minutes in same package size.
This is much brighter than MN16, less cost replacement bulb and safe for batteries.

Hi Fivemega. Very good point. I should like to say that I have used one of your excellent MN series bi-pin sockets with both the WA1111 and WA1274 bulbs.

I heartily recommend this socket to those of you out there using bulbs like the MN15 and MN16. This is truly one of FMs great inventions. After you pay for the MN bi-pin socket, the WA bulbs can be bought for a song. SF wants over $30 for their MN16.

What I found in running these two WA bulbs is that they both can be run off of AW's protected 18650s, such as the 2200mah versions. For me, since the WA1274s are 7.2V versus 6V for the WA1111, I used them more often. I blew a WA1111 with freshly charged cells rested for a day at above 7.2V. (I consider 7.2V to be about the max. for the WA1111s...) I calculate that for the WA1274, I estimate that I got in 350+ OTF lumens. In my old eyes, the beam output of the two bulbs looked fairly similar.

Again, both of these bulbs are other examples of very bright incan options that do not require IMR cells. I think there are some others, but these two are prominent in my thinking.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to cobble together the KT2, two A19 extenders, SF twisty tail cap with the Overready Zero Resistance upgrade and running two AW 17670s. (All parts I had laying around.)

I'm going to play around with this setup for a bit then probably get Varooj's bi-pin and run a 1111.