A good general-purpose flashlight / biking headlight?

gladis

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I've made a post here and there, but this is my first real thread.

I bike a quite a bit at night, and the paved paths are grade separated from roads (and lit with whatever spill streetlamps have), or in complete darkness.

Up to this point I've been using a minimag-LED as my headlight, but the other day a friend loaned me a Fenix L2D, and it puts out the most beautiful pattern of light I've ever seen. I've tried other flashlights before, which either have too small a spot, or is just so spotty its unusable.

So, I'm looking for a light with a beam like the L2D's, in fact, anything that resembles a car headlight beam, so that there's a gradual, smooth beam that makes it seem like the lighting levels are even regardless of distance.

I'd also like it to double as a general purpose flashlight I can take with me. So without further ado, here's my checklist:

Quote:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Bay Area, California, or the internet, doesn't really matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

~$50, I plan on buying a couple other things too, which I'll ask in another thread, so don't want to break the bank.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

Both ready-made lights and hosts with drop ins are fine, but if I get a light with a drop-in I'd need some lithium batteries and charger as well.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I'm open to lithium-ions if the total cost is kept down. But I have a bunch of LSD NiMH batteries at home, so I prefer those.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Considering an L2D is around 135 lms, I'm gonna say I want around 300-400 lumens, but I can always add a light later on, so maybe ~200 lumens?

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

Probably around 15-30 meters? 50-100 feet? I'm not quite sure what's typical of bicycle headlamp distances.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Up to 60 min is fine, since I can recharge my batteries everytime I'm done riding, but would rather not have to change on the go.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

I don't want it failing on me while riding. But my roads are not particularly bumpy, since its pavement.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

At least 2, I would not want to use the full power of the light indoors!

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care. As long as it's well built.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

None, aside from the aforementioned beam pattern preference.

Also, I find using the light to be a bit dark when outdoors and I've been told it's because of the tint, so I prefer a neutral/warm tint light. I tried a warm tint light and like it very much, aside from the fact that everything becomes a bit brown/yellow, so I'm guessing neutral is a good compromise, but I've never tried one.

By the way, I've been looking at the Fenix LD25, but am not sure if the tint on the light is pleasant, as well as a definitive acknowledgment of its quality and beam pattern. The other I've been looking at is a Quark, but it seems their neutral lights are sold out?