Advice: Cold weather AA/cr123

Z

z_velox03

I am new to the flashlight scene so I need some help.

I have been researching and reading up on flashlights but there is just too much info for me to understand.

I'd like to use the light primarily for winter use. I need a light that can hold up to sub-zero cold weather (such as snow camping/hiking). I would like to have 2 lights, a standard AA/cr123 sized and a backup AAA. The main purpose of the AA is for hiking at night in woods and snow conditions. The AAA is for backup, in-tent use, etc... longevity would be good for AAA.

One of my concerns is the cold icy feel a metal flashlight might give off. If that is not a concern please let me know. Also I am not sure if anyone has ever tried dipping handles in rubber dip. And I am worried how long will AA/cr123 last in sub-freezing conditions.

Some lights I have considered and researched:

Jet Stream RRT-0 (ideal canidate so far, dual battery, twist dimmer)

Jet Stream Jet III-M (seems a bit big, S.O.S. is nice)

HDS (expensive)

Nitecore Extreme Tactical Cree R2 Flashlight (cr123 only cant use AA)

AAA

Fenix L0D (backup S.O.S. feature is nice)

I really like the RRT-0 for the dual AA/cr123a batteries. That is a huge plus because I carry a ton of AA for other electronics. Twist dimmer is plus for ease of use. But it lacks S.O.S. (not big deal). Jet III-M seems good for power and longevity and S.O.S. is big plus but it is a little bigger than desired.

I have not researched AAA much but came across a good price for the Fenix L0D. Seems like a good trusty cheap mini-light.

Also when ordering the RRT-0 what do these mean?

Tint: Cree R5 or Cree Q3 5A

Reflector: R5-Hybrid or SMO

Are there any other good flashlights with dual AA and cr123 ?

Finally what is the best battery for cold weather use?

I have read eneloop, energizer li-ion?

If there are any topics on this please redirect me. Tried to search, but not much info I could find.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X__Other, please specify - Around $100 give or take.

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

_X__Every day carry small (2-5 inches).

Also extra AAA backup

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

_X__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

Flexible, but would like AA with cr123 option (if possible)

_X__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)

_X__I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)

_X__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

_X__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

_X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

I need adjustable brightness/run time. Max bright 1-2hrs.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

_X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

_X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

_X__I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

_X__I want SOS mode. (not essential)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Good for cold weather sub-freezing

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

None.