Flashlights in novels.

mvario

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I pick up this book, Sleeper, looks to be about a monster in the Pentagon, just started it, so we don't know yet. So I'm on page 43, the protagonist is preparing to crawl in to some hole in the foundation in the basement of the Pentagon when:

[ QUOTE ]
"Does anyone have a good flashlight?" Ed said.
"Sure," Gerakis said. "We've got a couple of those Scorpions. Little things run on six-volt flash batteries, put out more light than the big ones."

[/ QUOTE ]

then a little further down the page:

[ QUOTE ]
Gerakis handed him a small black flashlight that looked like it wouldn't reach six feet, but when he found the button in the butt end and pushed it in, he was amazed at the headlight beam that shone out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the author, Steve Harriman, has some flashaholic potential.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Maybe he's a secret member of CPF; a "closet" flashaholic if you will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve H., come out, come out, wherever you are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mvario

Newly Enlightened
Just finished it. Not bad.

Later in the book he mentions Underwater Kinetics by name. They don't say which one, but from the description it sounds like the UK 2L. The light even takes a spill down a hole and keeps shining. The "monster" doesn't like bright light. ;-)

guncollector

Enlightened
IIRC, some of the Patricia Cornwell (Kate Scarpetta series) novels mentioned the Surefires by name. Cornwell often referred to Kate's and other character's gear gear by manufacturer (SIG Sauer, Glock, Breitling, Surefire?).

Does anybody recall Tom Clancy referring to any lights in his rather techno-centric thrillers?

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I remember Clark and Chavez using a light weapon to stop a Japanese AWAC's from taking off in "Debt of Honor"

I can't remember any other lights being mentioned in a Clancy novel.

Geoff