Single AA LS pocketlight's

Trent

Newly Enlightened
Single AA LS pocketlight\'s

I was just sitting here thinking.Theres a lot of nice pocket lights comming out now,with 123's,N,AAA.But I have not seen any with the old AA standard ( you know the battery you can get down at the old country store with your pork and beans when you go camping).I think a light the size of an infinity would be great with a ls on a aa battery.Anyone know of such a light.Arc aa ls is just a little to big for pocket carry.
JM2CW....Trent

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Single AA LS pocketlight\'s

The old Arc-LS (first generation) was capable of running off a single AA. I was supposed to have one coming but got short shifted. Apart from that, I don't think there is any commercial single-AA sized LS flashlight.

But some modders have built LS lights on single AAA bodies, I'm sure some one could deliver a module that would fit the Infinity body. I sure would like one too.

However, single AA means that the booster must work harder. You probably won't get full brightness out of the LS. The Arc-LS didn't, and I don't think any modders have been able to either. Just the whole physics of the thing. 2.5 times voltage boost plus 350mA current flow is just too much of ask of a single cell. The LS will never light to full brightness. That is probably the main reason why you don't find commercial single AA LS lights.

Trent

Newly Enlightened

Steelwolf, you are probally right. But a light the size of a infinity say twice the brightness of a ultra even if the the LS is not at full brightness on AA batteries would be a great everyday pocket light.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Look for the threads on the mini-mini-mag in the Mods Forum.

Trent

Newly Enlightened

Yea Roy The mini mag would run off an AA but the head is so large I don't think it would be very confertable in your front pocket.(Besides I don' buy mag).
I had a stoplight ordered until Lighting and my computer decieded to get together. But I still think the head and Knoll switch would make it to big for confortable everyday
use.
I really like the size of the Infinity,It's big enough where it don't get lost in your pocket,but not to big to get in the way.I also think a infinity with 3 nichas and cutting the run time by two thirds would be a great idea.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can build one!
The Stoplight is a CNC machined single or two AA battery flashlight. It has two barrels each the single AA size so you can run one barrel for one battery and two barrels for two batteries. The way to get an LS in there is a Maxmax "sandwich" which contains a voltage regulator to bump the voltage up to run the Luxeon.
For max brightness, get the Madmax with the Q3L option. That is my plan when the light graces my mailbox. The Madmax will run down to 0.8 volts so build one up and enjoy.