Request: Which Flashlight and Headlamp For Trekking?

Z

z_cowboy mac

Hi all,

I wanted to ask all of you knowledgeable folk which flashlight you would recommend for trekking. My main requirements are for it to have a suitable beam/throw for walking at night, and be light and small enough as to not add too much weight. I would like to buy both a flashlight and a headlamp and have answered the questions from the request thread.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $100/$150.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

I want a headlamp.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

I don't know. (Leaning towards LED)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box. (but would consider custom parts).

7) What battery type do you want to use?

Whatever is required.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Pocket/belt clip

Waterproof (dunkable in rivers etc.)