2x16430 - 1x18650 Tactical Flashlight Comparison

Budda

Enlightened
Hello everybody. I'm Italian, so, apologize me for the mistakes. :oops:Comments, corrections and suggestions are welcome.

I'd like to draw a comparison between some "tactical flashlights", working with 2x16430 – 1x18650 that I have.

And I also lack of technical instrument as luxmeter. But here on CPF there are many users and many reviewers that provide lux reading and runtime graphs.:sssh:

However, I believe that my impressions would be helpful. If a moderator decides to move this topic into reviews section, I'll be happy :)

As now, many brands use the "tactical" adjective to describe their products: from flashlights, to knives, bags, watches, and multitools

So, here's my definition of tactical: a tactical tool has to be simple but effective, tactical lockout allowed, and, most importantly, reliable.

These are the requirements for a "tactical" flashlight: it has to be reliable, easy to use with a simple interface, efficiency optimized (no matter if pwm or current regulated), decent throw and decent output.

There are other parameters that I use to evaluate other kind of flashlights, as the number of supported cells, the presence of a programmable output, weight, beam without imperfection or artifacts, and, most of all: finishes. I don't care if the HAIII is really perfect or has a really cool colour, if lettering is clear and sharp… As a user, I don't care. For me, it's ok to save € and get the same a reliable product. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long introduction, now, here are the challengers: Fenix T1, Fenix TK10, Eagletac T20C2 MKI W, Olight M20 warrior R2, Jetbeam Jet3-M R2.

Sorry again guys, I do not own upgraded versions of some lights, as the new M20S, T20C2 MK II, JET3-M R5… :broke::broke::broke:

Fenix T1

fenix-t1-002.jpg

Fenix T1 represents first attempt of Fenix to make a light dedicated to law enforcement and military. Compared with Fenix other products, the T1 has a really massive construction, including a not removable steel crown on the bezel. The constructions is affected by some design issues: the tailcap switch is not so easy accessible due to the tailstanding possibility, and the clip, which also provides anti-roll function, is not detachable. Notice also the lack of a ring allowing cigar grip and the aluminum is not heavy textured. Threads are anodized, allowing tactical lockout.

It uses a Q5 emitter and a OP reflector (so, well usable in medium distance and still usable in medium-long distances). It accepts only 16430 cells, both primary and li-ion. The regulation is good both with Cr and RCR, considering that the light is almost 4 years old.

2 levels of output: mid and high. These 2 levels are well spaced (both for output and runtime compromise) are switchable by loosening (mid) and tightening (high) the head

Pros: massive construction, nice antiroll feature, simple and effective interface.

Cons: design issues, the light isn't too much "grippy".

Fenix TK10

TK_10__black.jpg

Fenix TK10 introduces really good improvements to the early T1, still keeping the "tank" (TK stays for that) construction. The design introduces a new detachable clip, a cigar grip ring. Also the light can't tailstand anymore, a drawback of an easier access to the switch; the construction is slightly thinner but still massive.

The stainless steel made bezel ring has been removed. Threads are anodized, allowing tactical lockout. Texturing is also deeper, allowing a good grip.

As the T1 the TK10 uses a Q5 emitter and a OP reflector. Accepted cells, runtime and output are the same of T1.

Pros: keeps all the ones of the T1 while improves the design

Cons: as today, are available updated other models (even if only few models has this simple interface); uncomfortably to use when mounted both clip and cigar grip ring.

Olight M20

Olight_M20_Black.jpg

This light is well known on CPF, so I won't spend too much time on this light. Olight M20 deeply influenced the flashlight world with its design, really usable. Detachable clip (held in place by the tactical ring or by the circoular construction), tactical ring, removable stainless steel bezel, lack of tailstand. The + poles features a spring, allowing flat top cells and preventing both damages when mounted on guns and turning off-switching level if falls. This is a features that I'd really like to see on more flashlights. Threads are anodized, allowing tactical lockout.

Compared with T1 and TK10 has a lighter construction, however I haven't hear of broken M20… And on CPF is known as a really reliable light.

Light runs with both 16430 cells (both rechargeable and primary) and 18650. Regulation is tight with Cr and RCR cells at all levels, not on high with 18650. To fit 18650 cells diameter may cause 16430 cells rattle, they need to be used with a dedicated magazines (provided)

3 output + strobo level, available in this sequence: low-medium-high-strobo, you can cycle by loosening and tightening the head. Levels are well spaced, but you have to pass through strobo to use a lower level. Light has memory function.

Uses a R2 emitter with a OP reflector, available the SM one. Compared with other light with the same configuration of emitter and reflector, M20's R2 is not heavily driven, getting limited throw (remember that's a R2 with a decent sized reflector, so it will have a decent throw). Available diffusers and filters.

Pros: bigger than other tactical 2CR123 lights, offers more length and more grip; 4 levels of output with memory function; available both SM and OP reflectors; clip is really recurred when mounted under the cigar grip ring; available filters; many cells accepted; well proven construction and + pole spring; double o-rings.

Cons: you are forced to cycle to strobe mode when you need a lower level; not regulated on max with 18650; uncomfortable to use when installed both cigar grip ring and clip; clip is not too secured without that ring; the double o-rings are small.

Eagletac T20C2 MKI

1m.jpg
That's a thrower! Design recalls M20's one, even if the light hasn't + pole spring. Can tailstand with a optional tailcap. Filters and diffusers are screwed replacing the stailess steel bezel ring. Threads are anodized, allowing tactical lockout.

T20C2 accepts both 16430 or 18650 cells, and it's tightened regulated wit 16430 on all levels, and enough tightened on max with 18650. To fit 18650 cells diameter may cause 16430 cells rattle, they need to be used with a dedicated magazines (provided)

Uses a R2 or a Q4 (not sure) emitter with OP reflector, available (I'd say that you have to mount it) the SM one. Emitter is heavily driven so you get a really good throw, while the beam is still usable in short distances.

Light has 3 levels + strobe: high when the head is tightened, medium when loosened, low when switching between high-medium or medium-high in less than 2 seconds. To access strobo mode, simply switch the light on within 2 seconds within it's turned off. No memory mode for low and strobo mode.

Pros: well experimented design, great throw, great amount of lumen, optional reflectors and filters, comes with a diffuser, runtime on 18650 optimized no need to cycle through strobo when changing level

Cons: but strobo comes out really too easily, runtime is short on max, to remove the cigar grip you have to remove the o-ring, clip is not too secured to the body, lack of memory function on low.

Jet III- M R2

jet3-m.jpg

Design reminds Jetbeam models. Light has a removable 2 way clip, tailstands while is easy to access to the switch, exposed + pole. Available both OP and SM reflectors, and an aggressive style stainless steel bezel.

Good sized o-rings, square cut threads are anodized, allowing tactical lockout.

Light uses IBS circuit to program one of the 2 levels available (100% when head tightened, programmable one when head loosened). This version of IBS (instead of the one used on Jet I V3.0) allows the selection of a level from a really low level, lower than 47's quark moonlight (around 0.3 lumen OTF), to 100%, strobo (from 1hz to 19 hz), sos and locator (available at 100% output or lower power).

Jet III-M's IBS differs from Jetbeam's other ones, so it's harder to access inadvertently to the programming sequence, even using the momentary on function.

Light accepts both 16430 or 18650 cells, and it's tightened regulated wit 16430 on all levels, and enough tightened on max with 18650 (not sure, based on Q5 version). To fit 18650 cells diameter may cause 16430 cells rattle, they need to be used with a dedicated magazines (not provided)

R2 version, in my possess, while using a OP reflector, performs really a good throw, and the beam is really usable in short distances.

Pros: good construction, available both SM and OP reflectors, IBS circuit represents the best way IMHO to satisfy almost every users requires, really low level availeble.

Cons: hight cost, lack of dedicated magazine for CR123 cells; lack of diffusers or filters.

Thanks for looking ;)