Thrunite & Dereelight XM-L Drop-ins Impressions

Z

z_Richwouldnt

A week or so ago I received the Thrunite XM-L P60 drop-in from SBFlashlights and today I received the Dereelight XM-L 3SM pill, spring and both OP and smooth P60 reflectors that fit the pill to make up a Dereelight P60 XM-L module. The US Dereelight dealer, flashlightconnection.com, is not selling the complete assembled XM-L P60 modules due to concerns over heat dissipation. The same is true of the Dereelight SST50 P60 module. He does have all the parts available though for both; pills, reflectors and springs.

My Thrunite and Dereelight XM-L modules are both 3 mode modules. The Thrunite is 3v to 9v rated and the Dereelight is 3.4V to 9V rated per the web site. The Thrunite is listed as 1.5A drive current to the LED and the Dereelight is listed as 2.5 A drive current.

Based on noted heat buildup I supect the current ratings are correct. With no special installation precautions done the Thrunite module was just warm to the touch when removed after 12 minutes of running in a Solarforce L2X Extended host running with two 18650 batteries. In the same host the Dereelight module was quite hot to the touch after about 3 minutes of running. The light output of the Dereelight module is noticeably greater. Doing a ceiling bounce comparison I would rate the Dereelight module output as similar to my Olight M30 which is manufacturer rated as 700 Lumens.

I have now made up a one piece aluminum combined spacer and shim setup for the Dereelight module and L2x host which allows installing the module in the host without the spring and with the .030 air space between the module reflector and host cavity wall eliminated. After putting everything together with the use of thermal compound in the minimal gaps remaining the heat transfer from the module to flashlight body is much improved based on how fast the light body now warms up.

Running the Dereelight module in a Dereelight host powered by two Titanium CR123A primary batteries, on High output mode, I noted some LED flickering after about 2 minutes running. I shut the light off immediately and checked things. The batteries were already getting warm so this module may be drawing more power than these batteries want to provide. No flickering noted running with two 18650 batteries.

If you want a reliable P60 XM-L module that has good output and you do not want to bother with custom shimming the module for your particular light go with the Thrunite module. If you want higher output and are willing to do a custom installation of the module to maximize heat dissipation, and keep an eye on how hot things are getting, then the Dereelight module definitely has higher light output but it also has potential heat issues in a P60 host IMO. Also more expensive.