Joined the ranks of SL 4AA 7LED owners...

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened
I love this light. Very bright. I also like the Streamlight Septor headlamp w/ 7 LEDs. The Septor has three different outputs. Click for 1,3 or 7 LED(s). The headlamp is very bright. What I am trying to get at is, I wish Streamlight had put the three output variation on the 4AA 7LED. The 4AA has a nice shape and feel to it. Great price too.

jtice

Flashaholic
I really like the SL 4AA also.

Very nice flood of light. Clickie switch is great.
Mine should see alot of use.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... now I REALLY want to get it... Would you mind doing a short runtime test to see if yours gets hot like what some of the other CPFers have complained about, PlayboyJoe? Would like to know if its common on all or maybe just some particular units that seem to overheat... Thanks in advance!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I read so many good things about the 4AA 7LED that I bought
one also. I like it too. I usually only buy high end lights,
but it's not that I want to spend more it's just that I
think you get what you pay for. This light is a lot for your
money. IMHO SL 4AA 7LED & PT Tec40 are about the best
bargains available.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I feel like I'm joining a fan club here...

If I had to suggest just one light for someone who was concerned about costs, the SL-4AA would be what I suggest.

Yes, mine gets warm also. But I rarely keep a flashlight on for more than five or ten minutes at a time. I've kept my 4AA on for about half an hour without it getting "unresonably" hot. 30 minutes is long enough to change a time or perform most of the in-the-dark tasks I might be faced with.

Not a perfect light, but the best bang for the buck I've found yet.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
A wee smidgen brighter than my 3C 10LED! (a touch blue though).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this light too, but are you sure that the 3C (10 LEDs) is DIMMER than the 4AA (7 LED's)?

Do you have the newer 3C (Tailcap Clickie), or older 3C (Tailcam Momentary/Twist Constant on)?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many members have suffered failures form the heat issue. I have version 2, it does get warm, and is bright as all hell with new batteries, but I've run it for well over 30 minutes, and no LED failures.

Anybody ?

I KNOW the earlier versions are overdriven, but many here (me too) think thats not necessarily a bad thing (especially with a warranty).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, would you say it's as bright as a typical one watt low dome Luxeon? Might make a good Christmas gift or two.

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
I loved mine when it was version 1, but after I screwed that up, it's now a version 2 (thanks to SL) and it seems as though now it has a funky connection, if you shake it the light seems to flicker

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I had the latest version light, which I purchased about 2 months ago. After 20 or 30 minutes of use on the Energizers that came with it the light got really hot. It was so hot that the adhesive used to bond the battery contact piece to the reflector / LED housing started melting. The plating on the reflector was also damaged.
John

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said: ...bright as a typical one watt low dome Luxeon?

It is a little brighter (I think) than my BB400 in a MiniMag.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Just a couple of thoughts
#1 we are comparing this with more expensive lights
#2 it has a life time warrantee, if it fries itself you just
return it for another one

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I left mine on for about 20+ hours. The head was warm for the first 5 or 6 hours, but the body itself never got too hot to hold. The heat generated caused some minor discoloring on the area of the reflector near the leds, which really doesn't affect the light's performance.

Bobvvue02

Newly Enlightened
As compared to a Arc LS low dome (1 W Luxeon) The overall throw of the SL 4AA and the LS were about the same distance. BUT, the 4AA has MUCH better side spill, so the 4AA is probably putting out more total light the 1W Luxeon and in some cases, the extra side spill is very very nice to have. The ARC LSH (high dome) has better side spill than the LSL, but the 4AA still blows it away for lighting up a general area.

Where the 4AA does have a short coming compared to the Arc is in regulation or the 4AA lack of it.. The 4AA starts out bright, but as the batteries are used, it gets noticably dimmer, where a regulated ARC LS stays the same for 95% of the battery life.

I still like my 4AA ALOT . Too big to EDC, but nice light for around the house/garage.

Bob