Brightness of the JETBeam BA10 and Olight T15-T R5

Dry-cell

Enlightened
Last edited:

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering too, if the 160 Lumens are correct. They say, it's ANSI Standard!? Hm!

Dry-cell

Enlightened
I could see the different reflector (precision aluminium reflector) on the BA10 increasing lumes, but battery life?. The T15-T R5 uses a "Full textured reflector for flawless far reaching beam".

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The SC51 and H51 both do 200 lumens OTF on a single AA eneloop for .9 hrs or 140 lumens for 1.7 hrs according to ZL's specs. I've read here that their driver is specifically optimized for a narrow voltage input range (1.2 - 1.9) so it can only handle alkie's, nimh's and L91's, and not 14500's, and that is supposedly the reason they get that combination of efficiency and run time. XPG's are also more efficient than any previous emitter, and they probably have it driven pretty hard to get that output, so I'd say it sounds reasonable. I think a lot of it is how hard the emitter is driven; my old Jet-3 Pro ST with an XRE Q3/5A is brighter than any of my newer EDC-able XPG lights, and it's over a year old.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was skeptical of the ZL UI before I got one too... but in reality it's a lot easier to use than it sounds.

Play with it for five minutes and you've got it; it's very intuitive and you can get to either low or high with a single click of the button, and to medium with a double click. Once on, you can change modes simply by holding the button down and it cycles through the modes. And it only cycles through three, not six, because the sub modes are memorized; once you're in one mode, a double click in that mode switches to the other sub mode.

My only complaint about the UI is minor; when you cycle through, it always starts in low, so if you're in med. and want to go to high, you've got to go through low, medium again, then high.

Overall, I like the UI best of any light I've got or had. I find it easier and more intuitive to use than a tail clickie, or a control ring, and you don't have to do any hand jive with twisting the head loose or tight or all that.

Dry-cell

Enlightened
:oops: Stupid me, the BA10 uses Lithium AA 1.5 or 1.7v?, and not AA 1.25v or 1.5v. That explains it then, I'm suprised no one corrected me.

Sorry for posting so many times in a row.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Dry-cell. Your posts have all made a point, so post as many times in a row as you want.

I have a Jetbeam BK135a and I use PowerGenix Ni-Zinc rechargeables in it because it doesn't do as well on the lower voltage of common NiMH cells. It's the only AA powered light I have that seems to need higher voltage cells. I guess the BA10 is the same.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
What version do you have of the Zebralight SC51?. How do you like it with the headband?.

I actually have the older SC50w+ which has an XPE Q4/5B in it rather than an XPG. I didn't want to wait for an XPG based neutral light, and the couple that I had already gotten, one from 4Sevens, had the green eyed monster problem... I'm very picky about tint, and the 5A/B tint bin is my favorite, so I decided to with what I knew I would like.

I've tried my SC50 with the headband, and honestly, it makes a pretty poor headlamp; you're simply unable to really adjust it to put the light where you need it. I have an H51w for that, and I'm glad to say am pleased with the tint, so I wouldn't have any hesitation to buy an SC51 if I felt I needed to. I may still get one, but not because I *need* one... it just be because I *want* one... :D

Zot

Enlightened
Last edited:

Dry-cell

Enlightened
Taken from the BA10s official web page...

"The above data has been measured according to the international flashlight testing standards ANSI/NEMA FL1 by using a 1.2v 2500mAh battery in the labratory. The above datas may vary due to different battery usage and environment conditions."

Comment for above: Oh, so it will work with an AA NiMH, will the brightness slowly taper off without a Lithium battery being used?.

Features
• Premium Cree XP-G R5 LED