The L4 is the best EDC out there right now

bwcaw

Enlightened
IHMO at least. I was using my L4 today at work helping a coworker trace some cat 5, and I loaned it to him so he could see up into the suspended ceiling. He switched it on, and found the wire he was looking for, then he told me to go down to the other end of the hall we were working in(about 8-10 feet away)to find the wire down there. Then he remembers that he has my flashlight, and tosses it at me from about 10 feet away! I caught it, but it slipped out of my hand, bounced off the wall, and went bounding along the floor for about 4 feet. I picked it up, and switched it on, and it worked good as new. You would never do that to a standard incan light for ver long!

And last week it came unclipped from my pocket in my grandma's drive way, clattering to the pavement head first from waist high, with only a small ding in the bezel ring to show that it ever happened. This is really a supurb light! I would reccomend that you purchase one if you don't have one already!

I consider this and the arc aaa to me the two most indestructable lights out there right now. If you replace the crappy z57 with a standard lotc you have a waterproof almost perfect edc light.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Where to buy an extra lotc and a new bezel for the L4?? The bezel on my L4, due to the scalloped edge, seems more susceptible to scratches and chips than my E2E's smooth bezel.

I agree with you concerning the L4's toughness. The L4 seems to be a very durable light.

Additionally, when and if the LED finally gives out, it will be a blessing to have Surefire replace it free of charge. (Will they?) By then I'm also hoping to pick up an 8 pack of 123A's from Lowes for about 4 bucks!

bwcaw

Enlightened
I think you can get LOTC taicaps from tactical warehouse: www.tacticalwarehouse.com . If not, you could maybe buy one off of a fellow cpfer, if you still have no luck, you could maybe get one from sf direct, although I have heard that they are not selling parts individually now. I think Mcgizmo had something to do with that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the new bezel for the L4, you might try unscrewing the lens ring from your e2e bezel, and use that on your L4. It should fit. But then you won't have an e2e bezel ring, unless you want your e2e to say "KL4" on the bezel.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
If you replace the crappy z57 with a standard lotc you have a waterproof almost perfect edc light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwcaw,

It would be a pleasure for me to help you. Send me your crappy Z57, and I'll send you my genuine SureFire like-new standard LOTC. And I'll pay shipping both ways.

Paul

PS for E2E4ME -- If Bwcaw declines my offer you may take me up on it.

RevDavid

Enlightened
I love the L4 as well, but find myself carrying the TW4 for the shorter body. It is not as bright as the L4 setup, but bright enough for my everyday needs. What more could you want in a light than one of these two, (and what less would you settle for?)

With either setup, the light field is full and exceptionally high quality... the spectrum is rich, except in red light, and with the clip, very easy to secure and carry safely.

David <><

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello bwcaw,

I have nothing but good things to say about the L4.

However, in my line of work, I find the ARC LSH-P better for EDWC (every day work carry). I carried the L4 for a week and find that I often am looking between items at something in the near distance. The L4's flood beam would give me a lot of scatter and reflection from the near things and made it difficult to see the far things. The hot spot of the LSH-P puts most of the light where I need it.

Now, if it was as bright as the L4, that would be great.

For home use I carry the L4, but for my work I'll continue to use the LSH-P.

On the other hand, maybe I just need a triple holster (I also carry a Super Leatherman) then I can carry both.

Tom

bwcaw

Enlightened
Yes, silverfox, the L4 is not perfect for everybody, but for anyone who is used to carrying a 6v "tactical" light as a part of their edc, the L4 has no peer! It is simply the most rugged, reliable, and cool light in it's class!

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I've added to my TW4/L4 is one of James Knight's now discontinued lens cap covers. It's a perfect fit. The Pyrex lens is completely safe now. These lens covers are great! I hope everyone who wanted one, got one. I'd have gladly paid twice the asking price.

Will

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
..... . If not, you could maybe buy one off of a fellow cpfer, if you still have no luck, you could maybe get one from sf direct, although I have heard that they are not selling parts individually now. I think Mcgizmo had something to do with that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bwcaw,

If I read you correctly, you are suggesting that I had something to do with SF's EDIT: "alleged" policy of not supplying parts separately to the public??!?! This is news to me and I certainly hope it isn't true! You obviously know something I don't. Care to clue me in via a private E-mail?

Thanks,
Don

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

Is it really true that SF is not selling parts to the general public anymore? That SUCKS! It must have been just recently, if it is true, because I ordered a C2 bezel from them just last week. What's the story?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
js,

When it comes to CPF and SF parts dept, YMMV and fact and fiction are often a function of the weather along with the tides. I have no knowledge of current parts policies at SF and won't speculate; one way or the other.
Gee, how do you suppose rumors start.......

I will edit my first post and try to clarify the position as speculation and NOT fact.

- Don

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

What does "YMMV" stand for?

As for the not selling parts rumor, I think that some people were told this by Kim at SF CS. It was in that C&J thread. You posted there, if I remember correctly. But I took this as a rumor because there was obviously no consistent policy on the subject, given the posts of other people in that thread. I myself ordered a C2 bezel from them only last week. Yet bwcaw's post and then your response got me worried that there had been a policy decision recently regarding parts.