New XM-L recommendations

frogamic

Newly Enlightened
I want an XM-L light because they're new, efficient and very bright. I currently own the Fenix TK11 and PD31. Here's the new light quiz thing

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Less than $150.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:
XM-L

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
AND
I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
30-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
Holster would be nice.

I was thinking of a TK35 but I want to try some different brands and I've been hearing some worrying things about the quality of it.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Olight M3X. It comes with a holster, runs on 4x 123a or 2x 18650. Bright as snot, throws far. The tint was great on mine.

I highly recommend it, in fact, i ONLY recommend it for what you want.

I flat out dont recommend the fenix tk35, or the Eagletac. The fenix has plastic parts, doesnt throw as far, and requires a battery holder, and i wasnt a fan of any of those.

Watch this vid, you will see the M3X throws the best out of the XMLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnL5lFxVwLw&feature=related

Also, I wanted as few modes as possible, i just wanted MAX to be easy to get to, and hard to change, for tactical use. If i wanted sometime with a moon mode, i will just switch to a different light, The fenix p2d i always EDC. Why people want to waste battery life of their BIG light, while using it at 60 lumens is beyond me.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I bought the DBSv3 XML Smooth reflector good tint runs great and bright on 1 18650 but I am using 2 with ext tube Have used it with Aspheric and it throws nicely from that set up. I like the Dereelight stuff alot so much so I own every light they have just love the way they feel in the hand and balanced fairly nice.

Joe

frogamic

Newly Enlightened
I actually don't really care how much throw or flood it has, I just want it for super awesomeness. I didn't realise there was a DBS XM-L I've been thinking about a DBS R2 for a while

blub

Enlightened
Olight M3X is an awesome thrower, but also has decent spill, EASILY out throws my TK35.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I actually don't really care how much throw or flood it has, I just want it for super awesomeness. I didn't realise there was a DBS XM-L I've been thinking about a DBS R2 for a while

That is exactly what I did . Purchased the DBS with R2, and later on ordered the XML emitter. The XML gives a little less throw than the R2, but still very good. That is why I like the Dereelights- very easy to swap the emitters.

frogamic

Newly Enlightened
How does the Thrunight catapult v3 compare to some of these other lights? I quite the look of it except that I can't use it with 1x 18650. How many lumens is the DBS XM-L

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
I bought the DBSv3 XML Smooth reflector good tint runs great and bright on 1 18650 but I am using 2 with ext tube Have used it with Aspheric and it throws nicely from that set up. I like the Dereelight stuff alot so much so I own every light they have just love the way they feel in the hand and balanced fairly nice.Joe

Are you using th dereelight pill or are you using a pill from another p60 drop-in? If you are using the dereelight pill, can you tell me how bright the output is when running only one 18650 as opposed to running 2*18650's. I'm also guessing that the light is regulated when using 2*18650's but not regulated when using only 1 18650.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L. It throws about the same as the Olight M3X & Catapult V2 XM-L. Check out this review - ClickHere

I like all three of these lights, and would recommend all of em. I chose the ET because it has 5 output choices (5, 65, 192, 404, & 748 ANSI lumens) with a great UI (twist ring), and comes with a very useful diffuser converting this light into a great flood light when needed. Runs on two 18650 Li-ions or 4 cr123's.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
How does the Thrunight catapult v3 compare to some of these other lights? I quite the look of it except that I can't use it with 1x 18650. How many lumens is the DBS XM-L

The DBS XM-L puts out about 600 out the front lumens. It is also recomended that the XM-L emitter be used with 2 18650's, or 2 18500's, or 3 CR123 cells. Should not be used with a single 18650.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The DBS XM-L puts out about 600 out the front lumens. It is also recomended that the XM-L emitter be used with 2 18650's, or 2 18500's, or 3 CR123 cells. Should not be used with a single 18650.

Then how do you explain the Thrunites running on one AA and CR123?

kojoti

Newly Enlightened
Different drivers explains it..

Ive got a few xm-l lights now, and right now my catapult v2 xm-l and malkoff m91 in a c3 are my favorite, I've got a dereelight with xm-l aswell it's like a smaller catapult beamwise. Can certainly recommend the catapult.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Different drivers explains it..

Ive got a few xm-l lights now, and right now my catapult v2 xm-l and malkoff m91 in a c3 are my favorite, I've got a dereelight with xm-l aswell it's like a smaller catapult beamwise. Can certainly recommend the catapult.

You said that XML's shouldn't be used with one 18650......

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Are you using th dereelight pill or are you using a pill from another p60 drop-in? If you are using the dereelight pill, can you tell me how bright the output is when running only one 18650 as opposed to running 2*18650's. I'm also guessing that the light is regulated when using 2*18650's but not regulated when using only 1 18650.
I bought the whole light in XML with smooth reflector It's fairly bright on one cell but even brighter on 2 this is the one I bought it can and does run on one cell 18650 but recomemded to use 2 the run time is much greater
http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...ons/DBS-V3-3SM-Cree-XM-L-Flashlight-p379.html

magicmanchris

Newly Enlightened
Here's two that I know are great and one that I'm sure will be great:
1) Crelant 7G3 (uses single XM-L 730 Lumens OTF, tight beam)
2) ElektroLumens FireSword (uses 3 XM-L's, floody type beam, but lights up good distance in front)
3) ElektroLumens EDC XM-L (use single XM-L, very small size light with big power, rugged Hard HAIII finish) *waiting to receive it. I think it will be like the Crelant but in a compact size.
All get thumbs up.