Maxa Beam enhanced reflector option. Anyone have one?

Parker VH

Enlightened
Well I bit the bullet and sent my Gen.2 Maxa Beam in to Peak Beam to get the enhanced reflector installed. I have a new old stock ARC round arc chamber bulb installed in it. They tested the CP output and with the original reflector it achieved 10.5M CP. After the reflector upgrade it was 17M CP. I'm very happy with that improvement. I haven't received the light back yet but I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.
They take the CP reading at 87'. I can post portions of the original emails I received from the tech who did the mod if any one is interested.
Has anyone else had this upgrade done?
The enhanced reflector is now standard on all lights.

Walterk

Enlightened
Wow, thats a heck of an improvement...!
Guess the difference is visible to the eye.
Any chance of beamshots compared with a G2 or non-enhanced reflector?

(87' is 26,5 metres I think)

Parker VH

Enlightened
Hopefully I can do that Walter as I have another light with the standard reflector. What I did was I sent both lights in to PeakBeam and had them see which light was the better candidate for a reflector change. The second light had a CP reading of 10.2M but he said it seemed like the reflector had a little warpage or ? as it seemed to have a somewhat triangular pattern in spot mode. I had them put the other good 10.5M reflector on that light and took off the imperfect reflector which they also returned to me.
I'll let you know after I get them back.

Litbobber

Enlightened
This is great news guys. i will have a new maxa within two weeks with all the whiistles and bells.
It took some savings, well an arm and a leg and my still good appendix but it will be worth it.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds. Sold my Polarion ( still can't figure out why) but thinking of a Maxabeam.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tested the CP output and with the original reflector it achieved 10.5M CP. After the reflector upgrade it was 17M CP. I'm very happy with that improvement.

Do you have a lux meter that you can measure it your self?

The original reflector is Rhodium which is 75-80% reflection, assume new reflector is 95% reflection,
that's only room for 20% improvement. How would the reflector upgrade gets 70% increase?

Their 12 Million model has the new reflector & also drive to 85W instead of gen 2, 75W, did they upgrade the electronics?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original reflector is Rhodium which is 75-80% reflection, assume new reflector is 95% reflection,
that's only room for 20% improvement. How would the reflector upgrade gets 70% increase?

Their 12 Million model has the new reflector & also drive to 85W instead of gen 2, 75W, did they upgrade the electronics?

....And then there are always those few that don't just accept a few numbers, and begin to think.. You're absolutely right ma_sha !!

I too would be very interested in the answer to ma_sha's question !!!!!!!!

The only things that can influence the output in this case, is shape accuracy of the reflector, and indeed power to bulb, and reflectivity of the reflector, I think that with the
10.5 Mcp on the old reflector, which already is quite high, shape is perfect, so not an issue.. The gen-3 power increase can give a gain of a mere 8-10% or so..
So, where does this 70% increase come from, especially when the electronics are not upgraded to gen-3? Cryptonite ??

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened
I did not do the Gen. 3 board upgrade. I'll post some replies from Matt at Peak Beam and you guys can decide for yourselves what you want to believe. I'm only going by what he told me.
Your light before the upgrade was able to get a reading of 10.5 M CP. The other light got a reading of 10.2 M CP. The 10.5 M reading on the distorted reflector might have been a little artificially high for reasons that I talked about yesterday (focusable over relatively short ranges, but likely would not provide a well-focused, collimated beam over long ranges). I think these two higher readings also speak towards the quality of the lamp you have. In my opinion, an ushio lamp might increase the output slightly, maybe 1 or 2 million CP more, but you probably wouldn't really be able to notice that increase just looking at it.

It was nice talking to you earlier today and I am happy to be able to tell you that your light with a brand new reflector recorded an output of 17 Million CandlePower. While this is high, it is not that unusual for lights coming through production to reach this level or even higher.

Our range that we test all of our lights on is 83' from light to meter. I'd expect that you could quite possibly get a higher CP value if you measured over a slightly longer range. Attempting to measure CP at shorter ranges will definitely result in lower values. We set the spot limit (what limits forward travel) to reach the tightest spot at our range distance. There is really no reason to ever need to use spot at a closer distance other than testing. All of these limits can easily be over-ridden and reset using the controls on the searchlight.

You are correct that you cannot set spot limits on G2 boards, I forgot that you did not have a G3 light (but you do now have G3 output J). I have done studies on how CP readings of the maxabeam will be effected by taking measurements at shorter ranges for some of our customers that wish to test the output of their lights but only have, say 30' to work with. These readings would be much less because the searchlight is programmed not to be able to focus down that far on G3 lights.

At longer ranges you really should get a very similar reading. There are two things that would affect the longer range readings: 1) Atmospheric conditions (i.e. dust or moisture in the air that could diffract light) and 2) The physical difficulty of focusing the light to that distance and hitting the meter exactly. You will have to make sure the x and y focus is correct at a shorter range, which it should be already, although depending on how rough shipping was you might need to slightly adjust this. And you will have to make sure it is zoomed correctly so that you have a perfectly collimated beam (important that you are not actually alightly past spot since there is no spot limit on your G2 board).

So hypothetically your measurements should be exactly the same with the few caveats I noted above. There is no calculation for how CP changes over distance because it shouldn't change (CP accounts for distance) assuming you could hold everything else constant.

There is no scientific rationale to see a major drop-off in CP between measurements at 30m of 100m unless there is a lot of particulates/moisture in the air or the measurements are being taken incorrectly. The correct level of z-focus (spot to flood adjustment) will change for 30m vs. 100m. If this is not adjusted between the two measurements, one or the other will be inaccurate because the beam will either be over-focussed or under-focused depending on which measurement is performed first.

X and Y focus should remain the same for all distances once it is set correctly, but every distance will have its own perfect degree of z-focus that will maximize the amount of collimated light at that point. I suspect that anyone who sees a large drop-off between relatively close distances doesn't have the correct z-focus on their maxabeam or the inability to fully adjust the z-focus on a different type of light.

karlosk98

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a lux meter that you can measure it your self?

They use grade A bulbs handpicked. As for the electronics I thought both models were driven at 90 watts in high mode.

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Hi Walterk,

I have a MB with enhanced reflector, and I asked for the constant high mode. It's a great spotlight. If you have any question, please ask.

François.

Walterk

Enlightened
How does it work; you switch to high as usual, but with your version it stays on high untill you change mode?

PeakBeamSystems

Newly Enlightened
How does it work; you switch to high as usual, but with your version it stays on high untill you change mode?

Hello! I might be able to help with the "latching" high beam details. Please keep in mind that Peak Beam could add this mod to any light with a Gen. 3 board (for free on a new light) but we strongly recommend that lights with latching high be used with the new LiFePO4 batteries for the best run time and performance. (As Deb @ Peak Beam explained, you will not get as good of a run time with the 1307 Li-Ions or 1207 NiCads because the draw of the constant high can trip the internal thermal breaker as the battery charge gets low.)

The latching high lights will turn on at high beam and then stay on high beam. (Standard lights will turn on at high and drop to regular beam after a 3 second stabilization/warm up period.) On a latching high light you can drop down to regular beam level by rocking the black 4-way switch to the right once. To return to the latching high beam level rock the switch right again. You still will have the normal strobe/low beam functionality when you rock the 4-way switch to the left.

Annie
[email protected]

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will not get as good of a run time with the 1307 Li-Ions or 1207 NiCads because the draw of the constant high can trip the internal thermal breaker as the battery charge gets low.)

Annie
[email protected]

OK, now I know what that little diode thing is in the OEM battery. When I modified the Maxa Beam OEM battery by DIY, I wired the diode looking thing into a new 6.6Ah Lifepo4 pack without knowing what it is, I figure it can't hurt. Good to know it's a thermo breaker :).

Walterk

Enlightened
Thanks Annie for the info. I have a 2nd hand G2 on my way.

What is the advisable time limit to repeat after one other the 'limited time high mode' cycle?

PeakBeamSystems

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2nd hand G2 on my way.

What is the advisable time limit to repeat after one other the 'limited time high mode' cycle?

Unlike the Gen 3 boards, Gen 2 boards may overheat if continuously turned to high mode. Each G2 board is a little different (they were all calibrated before originally shipping out but that would have been at least 7 years ago at this point) so unfortunately we don't have a recommended time between high modes because we can't predict how that individual board is currently running. The components in the G2 board are rated for a max temperature of around 85C so the best I can tell you is if your light starts to get hot, stop repeating timed high! :) If the board runs hot it could damage board components and, more importantly, the lamp.

For a Gen. 3 board, you can repeat the timed high beam mode as many times as you want. The board will adjust itself accordingly if it gets hot and worst case is you'll trip the breaker in your battery after running it down and you'll either have to wait a few minutes for it to reset or just recharge it.