Best Host for Malkoff Dropins?

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Whats everyone using? I'm toying around with the idea of using a 6P as a host, but wondering what folks think of the MD2 host? Any other good hosts to use? Tell me what you got!

jellydonut

Enlightened
The MD2 host is tailor-made for it. One problem is that very few other dropins are compatible. (less choice down the line) The MD2 has great build quality, a good switch and lets you have a high/low bezel switch, which I personally like, at least. The brand new MD2 redesign is also compatible with 6P tailcaps, whilst remaining more compact than the 6P itself.

The 6P is great, but in my opinion it's not ideal. The Malkoff dropins have small reflectors to fit in the MD2 host's small window. The 6P has a larger head and a larger lens which lets you use a more traditional P60 module with a larger reflector.

Personally I keep my Malkoffs in my Malkoffs, and dropins like the Torch Lab triple XP-G and Nailbender customs in the 6P. :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
There is a very large (& deserved) following for the SureFire C2/C3's to house Malkoff drop-ins, check out this thread here for LOTS of pics.
My Malkoffs spent virtually all their time in these types of hosts - I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used both, and highly prefer the MD2 with a high low ring. Of course, the MD2 isn't compatible with other drop-ins, but I don't buy the other ones anyway.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a noob at the Malkoff stuff but I just opted for a M61W in a VME head and I'm going to mount it to a E2d body. Like Brasso said there's not a lot of options for other drop-ins with this setup but I don't see me wanting other drop-ins. I think had I not opted to go this route initially I would have either went with a C2 host or the MD2 but honestly I think both of those will be in my future as well.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
M30W in MD2 (camo) with hi/lo ring. Use a 18650.

I've got a pile of 6Ps & 9Ps (bored for 18xxx cells) - but that MD2 fits pretty sweet in my back pocket. Use the 6Ps and 9Ps for high power stuff (Moddoo / Electron Guru triples & VanIsleDSM 5.6A Quad), nailbender drop-ins in G2s with aluminum heads (with clickies in the tails).

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta ZFL-M60-CS3D (3-cell)
or
Elzetta ZFL-M60-CS2D (2-cell)

The models with the "D" at the end of the model number indicate Hi/Lo tailcap.
This gives momentary or clickie on/off and brightness switching control, all on the tailcap.
The switching is excellent tactile feel, and reliable.
The build quality of these lights is the best I've ever seen.
Specifically made to fit Malkoff drop-ins, just the same was as the MD2 or VME heads are machined. Great for shock resistance and thermal management.
Solid as a rock.
Anodizing is perfect, and color-matched to the Colt AR15 finish, and is weaponlight grade.
Primaries or RCR123 only. NOT 18650 compatible.
I prefer it over Malkoff's own host.
It's a very serious contender.

A bit pricey, but worth every penny. And they are smaller then they look in the pictures. It's a normal P60 host size.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I hadnt thought about the MD2 being 18650 compatible also. Thats something to consider too. I haven't ventured into that territory yet, but suppose it might be a good thing to invest in versus using primaries all the time. Seems for the cost of getting a 6p and then the drop-in, its almost cost effective to just get the MD2 body. Is the MD2 shorter than the 6p? Does anyone have a side-by-side of the 2? I would like something compact and be able to tailstand. Looks like i would have to shroud both of them either way to do that which isn't a big deal. Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. :wave:

Rusty Nuts

Newly Enlightened
The new 3-piece MD2 will tail stand where the 2-piece MD2 requires a shroud to tail stand.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two most used setups are C2 and MD2 like previous memebers said... MD2 is original setup by Gene, you have option of high/low switch by turning bezel just a bit, a great UI, IMO... C2 is also great for this task, has that "look" but unfortunatelly lacks hi/lo capability... Right now I'm I have MD2 with M91 on the belt and love the configuration, with hi/lo IMR 18350 can last a long time, but on high I can pull 40 minutes w/o problems of overheating and similar...

But, few weeks ago I discovered that L2m body (shorter one, with 17mm body) can be a real looker when paired with L2P bezel, L2-S7 tailcap modded with OR McClicky and M61WL installed... on RCR123 it will run full output for 60+ minutes... like that little cutie... Malkoff fits and has great connection like a charm in this body, unlike some of their other models (due to larger inside diameter of the body)...

stoli67

Enlightened
How about a FM 2 x 26650 host.... I have two of them and they are great.... just waiting for my new M91 drop in to arrive to go into one of them!

jellydonut

Enlightened
I hadnt thought about the MD2 being 18650 compatible also. Thats something to consider too. I haven't ventured into that territory yet, but suppose it might be a good thing to invest in versus using primaries all the time. Seems for the cost of getting a 6p and then the drop-in, its almost cost effective to just get the MD2 body. Is the MD2 shorter than the 6p? Does anyone have a side-by-side of the 2? I would like something compact and be able to tailstand. Looks like i would have to shroud both of them either way to do that which isn't a big deal. Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. :wave:
Yep, almost forgot to mention as two of my three 6Ps are bored for 18650. The MD2 of course does not need this, it's ready out of the box.

It is slightly shorter than the 6P, and a little more compact in the head and neck area. I can take photos when I get home.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Well, I won a 6p on Ebay for 40 bucks (which will be my first surefire) and i ordered the M61W today as well. I'll see how i like it. I might yearn for a high-low switch, but heck, i might just order the MD2 with the control ring at a later date and put another drop-in in that one. Or, I'll just hold off to see if anything cooler comes out! I like that I now officially have a light that can take any P60 dropin. I have a Quark AA2 turbo now and a Zebra H51w so my hope is that this Malkoff will be a nice mix of the 2 (and I totally dig the neutral color of the Zebra, i just wish it had a little more throw) JellyDonut, a side by side would be awesome if you find the time.

Last edited:

Draz

Newly Enlightened
the 6p as well as the c2/3 are amazings hosts. I will suggest getting an md2 with the hi/low ring as it makes for a very nice bug out/survival or just a nightstand light. I had a m61 in a c2 and man was that a bright comfortable light. I now have got a c3 with a m61wLL in the mail, 15 hours of malkoff warmth....

seahunt

Enlightened
+1 to twl!
Have 2-cell and three-cell Elzettas, bored to 18mm for AW IMR 18350 (tedious and time consuming).
The most rugged build I've ever seen, and tail high-low works like a champ. For some reason the generally seen
stock photos are really stinkers. The light's much smaller all over than that photo would indicate. I was much pleased
that it was so compact. Good luck.
Regards, Chuck