Single AAA Lights Outside

JNieporte

Enlightened
I wanted to do a real-world (for me) beamshot comparison of my lights. No white wall shots or extremely dark fields; something more urban. So I rounded up all of my single AAA lights and went outside. It was about midnight when these photos were shot, and it was raining lightly. My target was a white paper plate attached to a tree 52 feet away. There's some ambient light from the neighbor's apartment, and I just can't get this out of the shots. There's also a potted evergreen tree in the foreground; I figured this would show some spill beam.
All lights were loaded with fresh Energizer alkalines and all were aimed at the center of the paper plate.

001-89.jpg

002-93.jpg

003-98.jpg

001-90.jpg

002-94.jpg

001-91.jpg

002-95.jpg

001-92.jpg

002-96.jpg

003-99.jpg

001-93.jpg

002-97.jpg

003-100.jpg

And here's my MagLite XL50 (just for fun)...
001-94.jpg

I'll be doing my (much more extensive) CR123 collection soon, and I hope the neighbor can turn his light off for those. Thanks for looking.

EDIT: I left out my Coast single AAA light. Shot to come later.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the effort. You've got a good selection of lights, although I found it difficult to compare the beams. It seemed mostly dark to me.

In the past, I've seen tests such as this that were shot in an alley or along the side of a house, which gives a continuous vertical plane extending from the camera out to a distance for the lights to illuminate, giving a better idea of how the beams compare.

One of our CPF members in Norway (I think, or is it Sweden?) uses a path in a heavily treed forest area to give us an excellent way to see how the beams illuminate up, down, sideways, and out into the distance.

Keep trying..... I love beam shots!