First HDS Light?

col902

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in purchasing my first hds light. My last purchase was a thrunite neutron 1a neutral, and i love it! i would be using it for edc and a lot at night. Is the high CRI worth it for the drop in lumens? I like all of the lights, and was wondering which would be a good one for me to start out with. Thanks!

Colin

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you go neutral, you don't go back. Wait for the High CRI imo.

col902

Newly Enlightened
so you dont think i would like the executive 120 or 170 at all?

carrot

Flashaholic
I have the Hi CRI Clicky and I like it very much. I think it is certainly bright enough for the tasks I ask of it (as a backup hiking light and as an every day carry).

That said, I don't think I would have been disappointed by picking up the $99 120 Clicky, which is a very good price! In fact, I have been planning to pick up one of the $99 Clickies as I feel it is a bargain I cannot pass up. I like bright lights but I do not feel compelled to have the brightest so the 120E would satisfy me just fine.

nbp

Flashaholic
+1 on Carrot's thought.

If you are just getting your feet wet with HDS lights, I don't think you'll go wrong with the 120. Same features as the higher output lights, at a bargain price. If you like it, which I suspect you will, you can always get another. :devil:

If you are set on more lumens or have need for max throw, the 170 is a better choice, but for EDC, I don't think it's crucial. I mostly use my 170 only because it's wrapped in Ti. :)

High CRI lights are available on the MP if you watch for them if the accurate rendition is important. I like mine, but personally I don't mind the cooler temps so I use my 140 a lot too.

If you must have the latest, and don't mind a possible bug, the Rotary is the most ingenious UI, and ensures you are cutting edge. It shares the XP-G with the newer clicky 200 and they have a softer floodier beam than the 170.

Some things to think about.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 120E is a good choice. It's a great light at a great price.
It's as bright as a high CRI model, and the tints are usually quite good from HDS.
I'm not a big fan of high CRI tints, and I'd rather have a good cool white tint with the extra output for the money. I can see just fine with cool white.
I remember how happy I was to get rid of the incandescants with their yellow beams. I like white beams.

My HDS is an old model U60GT and I love it.
It has plenty of output and a nice white beam, and is very reliable and robust.
For a pocket light, even 60 lumens on high is plenty for most uses. I haven't felt the need to upgrade to one of the newer models. My old HDS is serving me very well.
And mine is basically the same light as the 120E, except that mine is only 60 lumens.

Of course, if you want to splurge on the fancy new model, there's nothing wrong with doing that either. They are all great.
All I'm saying is that there's a good chance you'd be real happy with the 120E, and not have to spend so much.

mountaineer1

Newly Enlightened
i bought the 120e as my first hds light about a mounth ago, its a great light and you will love it