m30 vs. rrt-2

roninrc51

Newly Enlightened
General question for those who own both or have more knowledge than I.(Most, lol)
I have an M20, and don't like the difficulty in changing modes.....something brighter would be nice too, not to mention its getting pretty worn out..

roninrc51

Newly Enlightened
Thank you sir....I think my main question boils down to the switching mechanism on the RRT-2...curious of the durability really.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find details on Selfbuilt's review of the RRT-2 here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...aptor-(R2)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

My magnetic ring on the RRT-2 R5 seems fine.
It has from left to right: standby, strobe, lo, med, and hi.
Standby is very useful, esp if you are using the lazy underhand shake hand grip to operate the ring.
However do note that standby is not totally off, said to draw a current of something like 2 milliamps, enough to drain the batteries in 2 monhts.
Placing the strobe between standby and low is a little weird, but I learn to live with that.

Having 3 steps from low to hi is very good, since I also have a TC-R2/RRT-0 pocket size with a continuously variable ring.
The only things good about the RRT-0/TC-R2's ring is that strobe is to the "left" of standby, and that low - is very low - 0.003 lumens to be exact.
Apart from that, I find that the RRT-0/TC-R2's continuously variable ring is a bit of a pain in 2 ways.
The travel on the RRT-0/TC-R2's ring is too long - requiring something like more than 3/4 of a turn - some CPF members saying some 300 degrees to go from standby to high - this is a bit of a pain, coz it requires so many twists of the forefinger and thumb to go from low to high.
The other problem with the RRT-0/TC-R2's continuously variable ring is that there isn't 3, or 4, or 5 simple discrete steps from low to high.
So be careful of those continuously variable rings.
Even if Jetbeam persisted with continuously variable rings, perhaps they should shorten the travel of the rings from low to hi in just half a turn like the Sunwayman V10R's.

One good feature of the RRT-2's ring is that it gives you 3 simple discrete steps from low, to medium, to high - so easy to use - and only a fraction of a twist of the ring going from one mode to another.
I'd love it if Jetbeam gave us say - 5 discrete steps from low to high, including a very low low - like one lumen.

In all, the ring on the current RRT-2 R5 is pretty good.
Seems very reliable so far.
Hope that helps...