The Space Case Refined

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
*See latest post...

Several months ago, local CPF'er Sonic acquired some aluminum project boxes and gave me one. We both pretty much sat on them all this time, planning to make some kind of mods with them eventually.

As luck would have it, we both began fiddling with them about the same time and when we talked recently, we discovered we both had similar ideas as to what kind of mods we should make with them. Actually there were fundamental differences between our planned projects, but being we both planned to convert aluminum boxes into flashlights, a friendly little race was suddenly on to see who could complete theirs first.

I was lucky in that I had everything on hand to make mine, whereas Sonic's one will be revealed a little later since he is waiting on a few specialized parts. Anyway he knows I am going to post mine tonight, so here goes my rough draft of a mod:

fafea076.jpg

I will have a beautifully machined bezel on the faceplate of this light soon, instead of the (also highly elegant) masking tape now used to hold the reflectors in place. There may also even be lenses on them....

This picture will give a feel for the Space Case's size:

fafea072.jpg

And with the same basic drivetrain as a Space Needle II (make that TWO Space Needle IIs), any questions about what kind of brightness might be expected is settled immediately:

fafea06b.jpg

I had two spare 5W HD Luxeons laying around, a V2T (on the left) and a U3V (on the right), and you can note the interesting difference in color presentation from each Bin Code. This beamshot is only from about two feet away, where the two beams just begin to converge:

fafea060.jpg

Here are the guts. It looks pretty empty until you realize most of that space is taken up by the two big Mag reflectors once the box is screwed together:

fafea063.jpg

Close up of the slide switch:

fafea069.jpg

And if you ever wondered what kind of output would be produced by putting two Space Needles together, I was too lazy to unscrew the box lid so here is the lux reading just from the half-used batteries:

fafea079.jpg

I will post more pictures once I get the bezel fitted. Then I will sand and smooth the body and probably use either black paint or judiciously applied panels of skateboard tape. And of course a real brightness test using FRESH batteries.

Proudly presenting: the Space Case...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Presenting -- The Space Case...

mr bulk you rule guy. that is so kewl i love ya post i always ee kewl stuff

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice partner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

any chance you could fit some aa's in there?
how long do those 3 123's last? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

also, another thing that might look cool is a sheet of plexiglass going over the front of the case...very eligant i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Roth,

I never thought to try, but those 6AA holders I found at Memory Protection Devices a few months ago just might fit, since two AA's are about the same length as three 123's. Maybe a little too wide though, so now to go dig one out for test fitting...

The sheet of plexiglass was given some thought but it was felt that the already-chamfered screw holes in the corners of the cover would probably help flex the corners of the plex to the cracking point when the screws were tightened down. So a figure-8 shaped metal bezel, or even two separate round bezels (with their own screw holes, possibly from the underside of the cover) would be the ticket.

Will be trying out that approach, anyway. BTW, all these bezel shape suggestions are from the fertile mind of Otokayama. Me, I just use masking tape...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol mr bulk you can say that i grew up on miami teams huricanes and Dolphins.dad took me to every game when i was a kid .we use to drive are bikes by shulas house

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr B, epoxy a couple of large magnets to the bottom of the case and stick that on top of your car. Woo hoo!! And if you can get a regulator in there, you can run it off your in-car 12V!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

bezels would look nice too.
polished chrome maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sooooo much extra room in that case! what to do with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

as far as the plexi-glass idea, elektrolumens did a bikelight once with 3 luxeons and 30mm optics, and used a sheet of glass to hold them all together...it just looked very nice!
something to consider /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tomas

Banned

... needs a dimmer switch ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Neat machine! Need a little more battery, so I hope the AA's fit. Hmmmmm ...

T_sig6.gif

Sonic

Newly Enlightened

Nice mod Charlie! I had trouble picturing what you described to me over the phone. I guess a picture IS worth a thousand words. I like it, and it looks like you'll have enough room in there for several battery configurations, nice. It's funny how we both ended up using those small aluminum spacers, but for completely different purposes. BTW, my project will be ready as soon as I get those parts. But I'm starting to re-think the coolest feature of the light, as there is a big problem to figure out yet.

Sonic

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

how much are these cases and where can i get one?

i like contests! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Magnets? Aah, mebbe later. Polished chrome bezels? Actually they'll be polished aluminum (or maybe brushed, to match the case). But I will probably sand the case smooth and either wrinkle-paint it black for grip, or use a few panels of skateboard tape.

Dimmer switch? "We dawn nee' no steenkin' deemer swishes!"

Yes Sonic, it would be sad indeed if your coolest feature were unable to be incorporated! Brainstorm it! Harder!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would also make a nice floodlight, with no reflectors, or something similar to a McFlood...
Perhaps a selector, as well. One the other, or both.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Charlie,

Good for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man... that would make a GREAT bike light... Well, with all that space, you could probably turn it into a multipurpose tool box too!! Good job Mr Bulk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Now, can't wait to see Sonic's creation!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie,

Your use of a non-traditional shape has caused me to ponder it quite a bit. I have a project in mind myself for putting a single Carley 1040 solid reflector, a superbright bulb and 10 AAs together.

As I was thinking about my project, I thought of your space case. I can conceive of how I might physically attach my configuration into a similar box, even the reflector itself. But how to fabricate a "bezel' or some device to afix a lens and o-ring is eluding me. I will be interested to learn how you secure the reflectors after you remove the tape. I'm hoping to glom some ideas from what you end up doing.

Paul

zackhugh

Enlightened

Hey Charlie,

What about you and Sonic going to dinner with matching CPF shirts, the Black Bags, and the Space Cases? Now THAT would be a sight.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

(If that guy ever gets his hands on a mill and lathe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Larry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Shank, I already have a throw/flood selector -- it's called a screwdriver... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don, yes I am sorry for this one, had to keep myself occupied somehow!

Stan, yeah a bikelight might be a good application. Drill two holes to fit a perforated metal strap for around the handlebars...

PaulW, I think I will fool everybody this time and just secure the reflectors with another layer of tape!

Zack, just the very thought is frightening since I do have the shirt already...

Larry, funny you should say that, I was looking at some mini-lathe sites just the other day -- then of course I would need to learn to use'em...