Toughest 2xAA or 2xCR123 flashlight?

yliu

Enlightened
I am searching for a very tough, compact flashlight that can take a lot of punishment and still work. Not that I really need one, but I just want one:)

So I've been looking at Shurefires, since I read that the military uses them and they really like SF flashlights.

I want a "compact" 2xAA or 2CR123 flashlight that I can always rely on, even in the most extreme situations (extreme cold, washing machine, impacts etc.)

I need your advices. Please list some of the most reliable flashlights you know that fits my requirements.

Thanks

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Surefire E2L-AA is the way to go for the toughest 2xAA light. 2xAA lights are somewhat limited in terms of compactness by the length of the batteries.

If you want compact, then the E-Series Surefires are the way to go. Pick the one that is appropriate to you and you should be set. E2L for general use, E2DL if you're looking for something more tactical.

Based on what I have gleaned here, it seems that Elzetta makes the toughest 2xCR123 flashlight. But if you're not going to be intentionally trying to destroy it, you should find that any of Surefire's LED lights will stand up to whatever abuse you can throw at them. Plus, Surefire has an awesome warranty, so if anything ever does go wrong, they will make it right.

shomie911

Enlightened
Might want to take a look at the Peak Pamir 2xAA Stainless Steel as well. XP-G emitter at about 225 lumens fed through a 20mm optic. Only $100 as well, so it's a lot cheaper than the E2L AA! Peak lights are, in my opinion, the most bomb-proof lights out there. :thumbsup:

VAJXH.jpg

Napalm

Enlightened
So I've been looking at Shurefires, since I read that the military uses them and they really like SF flashlights.

The military really like all sorts of things that explode. It shouldn't come as a surprise that they're also into high drain devices with lots of Lithium cells in series.

Nap. :party:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to second the Peak recommendation. Their toughness is hard to beat, especially in SS.

For 2x123, maybe an Elzetta, or an older Inova X5.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I agree with other posters. I have both a Surefire E2LAA and a Peak Mediterranean 2AA: these are indeed my most reliable and strongest 2AA lights... by a margin.
But they are looooong! (the Peak and the Surefire are about as long)
There are other fine 2AA lights, with more functions and more output, but I do not trust them the way I trust Peak or SF.

I find it interesting to see that in 2006, when I joined CPF, Peak and Surefire were priced alike for similar lights, but Surefire raised their prices while Peak didn't.

Kind regards,
Joris

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it "have" to be 2 AA/123?

Because there's also HDS Systems lights, which have an extremely reliable reputation here. Build quality and customer support/service are on par with Surefire.

Otherwise, I'm looking at the Surefire E2LAA model.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I am searching for a very tough, compact flashlight that can take a lot of punishment and still work. Not that I really need one, but I just want one:)

When you mention 2X23 and very tough, I can't help but think of the Fenix TK10, check out one of the you tube videos on this torch where they crush it with 2000 lbs of pressure and it still going strong, impressive to say the least. With that said, I still love my Surefires. :wave:

er_ken

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M61 with Elzetta single stage tail cap gets my vote.

My old Mag AA, with badminton racket grip stick-on is very tough too... recommended

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I took a new fenix tk 15 and threw it down in the gravel and pavement as "hard" as I could about 10 times. then a couple of buddies of mine threw it across the road into a dirt and gravel bank about 4 times each. then we stomped it repeatedly and finally threw it into a creek for about 20 minutes all of this while it was on. My friends couldn't believe I would do this to a new light, But I had to know if it was really tough. It's tough enough!!! a little bit of scratching and a few small gouges the lens is scratched, but the thing works fine! The tk 15 is not that small, but my point is that fenix makes tough lights.

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
Agreed, fenix makes very tough lights. My LD20 gets abused regularly and holds up like a champ!. And so does my 47's light. That thing is just as tough as the fenix. I really dont think you can go wrong most brands.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Eagletac also makes a nice 2 x AA the P20A2 MKII which I reviewed on. Has 6 drop in module options so you can change and even place in an XML LED. Does high, med, low and then strobe, sos and beacon if you like those sorts of features like me. Cannot see why this light would not take a lot of abuse but then I don't kick mine around like some LOL.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think you will find wide consensus here on the board regarding durability of Peak, SureFire, and (for single cell lights) HDS/Ra.

I have experience with each of these and they all seem extremely tough.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Apart from the toughness issue, for reliable use in an emergency, I would strongly favor single-cell lights.

Modern single cell lights can provide up to 200+ lumens (plenty for most purposes), and then you don't have to worry about battery problems caused by mismatched cells. And if you have 2 batteries and a single-cell light, it's all good; but only 1 battery and a two-cell light, not so much ....

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Eagletac also makes a nice 2 x AA the P20A2 MKII which I reviewed on. Has 6 drop in module options so you can change and even place in an XML LED. Does high, med, low and then strobe, sos and beacon if you like those sorts of features like me. Cannot see why this light would not take a lot of abuse but then I don't kick mine around like some LOL.

I love my Eagletac P20A2 MkII XP-G R5. It's a beautiful light, and very nice beam pattern too.

-