Think I finally built my perfect light. Thank you CPF

BIG45-70

Enlightened
So a few weeks ago I started a thread asking for an option on a simple, durable light with a long run time. I had lots of great suggestions one being an Elzetta.

I've never heard of Elzetta lights, most of my collection revolved around Fenix and maglite. I looked up this sweet little light and I won't lie, the selling feature for me was the youtube video of it being shot with a shotgun and slammed numerous times on an iron plate yet it continued to function. So I pulled the trigger on the Elzetta and was out a big chunk of change.

Last Friday I reiecved it and couldn't be happier. Its small enough to EDC, tacticool enough to make my buddies jealous and bright enough for any task needed. The only thing missing was the long run time of my perfect light.

Well today I ordered a Malkoff M61WLL, lense and gasket (which I have no idea what to do with) and I will soon have exactly what I've been searching for in a light. Just wanted to give out a shout-out and thank the CPF members for the great resource that is this forum.

Now what to do with the extra Malkoff M60 I'll have lying around?:sssh:

mrlysle

Enlightened
"Now what to do with the extra Malkoff M60 I'll have lying around?:sssh:"

Sell it to me! :naughty: Grats on the Elzetta! I'm gonna have one someday, that's for sure!

mrlysle

Enlightened
Ditto! I wonder if it can be bored out for 18650's? Never seen or heard of one yet.

Think2x. I just can't imagine that it couldn't be bored for 18650, since the 6P and 9P hosts get it all the time. That's pretty much my favorite format now that I have a few 18650 lights. Not too big, not too small, and great runtimes! Hopefully someone here will fill everyone in on that possibility so we can get one!!!!

seahunt

Enlightened
Elzetta's can be bored out and use 18350 x 2 or 1 x 18650.
It's a tight squeeze, and you may have to trim some springs
depending on LE chosen. Have done 2 x two cell and one three cell.
The 3-cell got a Malkoff M91, and one 2-cell got Oveready triple,
third got M61. All work well, they get hot if left on high too long,
but that's to be expected. Regards, Chuck

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The "Drop-in" itself, is a work of art. I take mine out of their host's just to look at, and admire them them.

Also, I love to show them to people, like the other day, I was shooting an event with all engineers in energy, and they loved it! I showed the McClicky/Valiant Concepts-VME Head/Malkoff M31, setup that has become not only a daily EDC, but my favorite.

You have chosen wisely!

Something I like on the Malkoff drop in's is the hand engraving of the model type. Here is this beautiful, functional, high-tech piece and it is marked by hand. I really like that. I consider these 100% custom made items, and the engraving is a reminder.

Good luck with your new light,

With all best wishes,

RL

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
So a few weeks ago I started a thread asking for an option on a simple, durable light with a long run time. I had lots of great suggestions one being an Elzetta.

I've never heard of Elzetta lights, most of my collection revolved around Fenix and maglite. I looked up this sweet little light and I won't lie, the selling feature for me was the youtube video of it being shot with a shotgun and slammed numerous times on an iron plate yet it continued to function. So I pulled the trigger on the Elzetta and was out a big chunk of change.

Last Friday I reiecved it and couldn't be happier. Its small enough to EDC, tacticool enough to make my buddies jealous and bright enough for any task needed. The only thing missing was the long run time of my perfect light.

Well today I ordered a Malkoff M61WLL, lense and gasket (which I have no idea what to do with) and I will soon have exactly what I've been searching for in a light. Just wanted to give out a shout-out and thank the CPF members for the great resource that is this forum.

Now what to do with the extra Malkoff M60 I'll have lying around?:sssh:

Buy A Surefire host for it. A 6P, or G2, and now you have an additional first-class light. You can pick up good 6P's and G3's on the B/S/T area here. The M60 is a good one focused for throw! Keep it.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Buy A Surefire host for it. A 6P, or G2, and now you have an additional first-class light. You can pick up good 6P's and G3's on the B/S/T area here. The M60 is a good one focused for throw! Keep it.

I have a Solarforce L2 on the way as a host for my Malkoff M60. It was much cheaper and accepts 18650's. Am I correct in assuming I need to wrap the bottom of the M60 in aluminum foil so it doesn't rattle in the bezel? Does the lack of fit with malkoff drop in's have anything to do with function?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For better runtimes, you can buy the elzetta hi/lo tailcap, and you wont loose that max output:devil:

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Am I correct in assuming I need to wrap the bottom of the M60 in aluminum foil so it doesn't rattle in the bezel? Does the lack of fit with malkoff drop in's have anything to do with function?

You are wrapping the module with foil (or copper tape, which is a better option IMHO) to provide better thermal transfer from the module to the head/bezel of the light. The fact that it reduces rattle is a secondary concern.

Heat is bad for LED performance and longevity. The more heat you can remove from the area around the LED, the better. That's why you wrap the module. :)

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
BIG45-70,

An Elzetta with Malkoff is an excellent purchase.

For better runtimes, you can buy the elzetta hi/lo tailcap, and you wont loose that max output:devil:

+ 1.

I find the Elzetta hi/lo tailcap to be the most user friendly two-stage switch on the market today.

dando

Newly Enlightened
Ok I just priced the Elzetta. A bit out of my price range atm. Looks like a great light. Maybe down the road I can afford one.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
BIG45-70,

An Elzetta with Malkoff is an excellent purchase.

+ 1.

I find the Elzetta hi/lo tailcap to be the most user friendly two-stage switch on the market today.

I was thinking about going that route, but then I miss out on the warm tint. I also want to stick with twistys when its possible.

nbp

Flashaholic
Does the lack of fit with malkoff drop in's have anything to do with function?

No, it has to do with the fact that it was designed to go in specific hosts, and all P60 hosts are not created equal. They probably fit perfectly in Malkoff hosts, but maybe not perfectly in Solarforce hosts due to slightly different machining and dimensions.