Getting my friend a nice flashlight for his birthday...

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if you guys could throw out some recommendations for a newer high end light, LED, good throw, rugged. CR123A more than likely. Titanium is a plus.

The budget is roughly 100-150 plus or minus a few bucks. He just got a Chris Reeves Sebenza so an edc might be the better option.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention, he's a professional photographer and often travels to other countries to spend months shooting photos. I was thinking maybe something similar to the Surefire Kroma or other light that allows for multiple light colors. Anything you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcgizmo sundrop, nice tint, smooth beam. titanium. but price is way more than you want to spent.
sunwayman v10r Ti - titanium. variable brightness. throws pretty good for its size.
HDS clicky or rotary. cant go wrong with an HDS.

kubus_pl

Newly Enlightened
If your friend likes the design of Sebenza and titanium is a big plus for you, then Lummi Raw Ti with 200/20 or 100/20 engine - but it will be hard to find new one here at the forum. Just 5 cents from a newbie ;)

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
I have given several G2, G2L, and most recently a G2X away as gifts when I have someone that I think high enough of should not be without a good light. Mostly friends and family.

I give the CR123 lights away as I am giving them away so the owner has a slight edge of preparedness and a quality light. A cr123 light does not get given to the kids to use as a toy typically due to the higher battery cost. If I gave out an AA light, it would end up in the crib, lost, or covered in slobber and dried out strawberry jam.

The new owners always remark that the quality is apparent. They have no clue on the price, and I don't offer a number either. I just tell them either "you can't get these at walmart" or that it is what fire/police/emt use.

choombak

Enlightened
Forgot to mention, he's a professional photographer and often travels to other countries to spend months shooting photos. I was thinking maybe something similar to the Surefire Kroma or other light that allows for multiple light colors. Anything you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.

If your friend travels countries, then CR123A is not a way to go - these are hard to find at several places, and then cost a bomb. Its no use gifting a light that won't be carried. The best option is to go for an AA or AAA battery type, which is available in the remotest of the remote country (and photographers travel to highly unlikely places!). Unfortunately, there are very few to no lights in Ti available (there were, but most are sold out).

For CR123A, you have the latest V10R from Sunwayman, which is making waves, and has good reviews. You should also look at the HDS series of flashlights - not Ti, but then the most respected CR123A lights around. Come in exotic colors as well, like desert tan, and orange.

For a photographer friend, I'll opt for two lights - one a smaller version in AAA format, that can be hung around the neck, and other larger in AA format. Check out the Mako in Ti - goes well with the Sebbie color, and is a lovely EDC light. Should be available if you ask around. Also does not break the bank, I got mine for ~$60 US. Not a thrower, and barely puts out 7 and 3 lumens, but one you can always count on in a SHTF situation (think of your photographer friend stranded in the amazonia and requires a light at night. :))

Let us know what you finally choose.

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
I'm a photographer as well (among other things) and I would prefer a multi-color output light. And while probably out of your price range the Quark RGB or Surefire Kroma/Kroma-Milspec would be the lights I would find most useful. A McGizmo Sundrop, while not as multi-functional, would provide diffuse, high-quality light that can be very useful in lowlight situations.

Harry999

Enlightened
I would recommend the Jetbeam RRT-0 S2 version which can use cR123A and AA. It is a very good
quality light with an infinite variable magnetic ring.

Given he is a photographer how about the Zebralight SC51c which if their latest High CRI offering. It can run off AA with the ideal being an eneloop AA. A lot of photography enthusiasts on the forum have said they like High Cri lights...

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

packer

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I live in Indonesia (and am also a photographer, ironically) and I can tell you do NOT get him a CR123 light. Too hard to find the batteries. I'd go with something like a Zebra Light SC51w or maybe even the new (semi) high-CRI SC51c. It doesn't quite have the output of the other SC51's but it has better color rendition, which a photographer will appreciate. Plus it's tiny which is perfect for travel.