iTP SA2 (R5) black dot in the middle of the hotspot?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody with an iTP SA2 with the XP-G R5 LED or for that matter, an SA1, SC1, or SC2 notice a small black dot in the middle of the hotspot?

I bought a couple of these and noticed it on some and not on others. Would it be an issue with lens position such that a condition like this could be generated on any light if the lens and LED wasn't set right?

Or is this something common with the R5? Inquiring minds are just curious before buying any more of these iTP SA2's. By the way, I love the light for as inexpensive as it is coupled in with the features.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
Dude , you made me go get mine and do a whitewall shot . And yes , the hotspot does have a bit of a ' shallow donut hole ' on mine . I never noticed it before . I have heard this phenomenon described as 'the edge of the hotspot is slightly brighter ' . It is also present on my Ultrafire XML P60 dropin . I believe this type of artifact is most common with smooth reflectors , as an OP reflector blurs the hotspot .
Some users have eliminated this effect with the P60 by changing the focus of the dropin by unscrewing the reflector a little . Since the head of the iTp SA2 is sealed , there is no easy way to change the focus . Still , the artifact is rather small in my sample ( probably why I never noticed it ) and in real-life use it's probably not a big deal .

I really like my SA2 and it's features . It was my first multi-mode light and I use it a lot .

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, ha, so it is there. I think you are right with the smooth vs OP reflector because it does have the smooth reflector. I have an Olight T25 with OP reflector and personally I like that beam pattern better, but the SA2 with its features and price is such a great deal. It's the light I use when going car camping, trips etc because its not a lot of money in case you drop it or lose it. You are right about not seeing it when using it in the real world. Just on a white wall is where you see it.