Waiting for the UBR

iapyx

Enlightened
Who else beside me is looking forward to Surefire's UBR?
The UB3T is now out for a couple of weeks and the release of the UBR is scheduled for Oct-Dec 2011.
Some of you may know I had a UB3T on backorder, received by post, but returned it since I had put the order on hold when I heard at ShotShow 2011 about the UBR.
At this moment a comparison is pure speculation, but that is part of the waiting game. It's fun to talk about lights you are looking forward to.
In SF's catalogue the UBR was to have 800 lumen with a runtime of 1,5 hrs versus te UB3T 600 lumen. The UB3T appears to be 800 lumen with a runtime of 1,7 hrs.

Main characteristics of the UB3T:
runs on three primaries (or two x 17500's )
max 800 lumen
min 2 lumen
runtime 1,7 hrs on max (until output drops below 50 lumen)
11 settings (strobe, sos, off, 3-way tailcap)
combat grip/thinner body/no knurling

Main characteristics of the UBR:
runs on rechargeables and (two) primaries
max output 800 lumen?
min output 5 lumen?
runtime 1,5 hrs until what...
I hope the UBR to have an output of 800 lumen for a longer time until it starts dropping.
11 settings (strobe, sos, off, 4-way tailcap)
thicker body with knurling

So, who else is (impatient while) waiting for the UBR
Who else wants to compare the UB3T with the UBR before deciding which one to get?

iapyx

Last edited:

er_ken

Newly Enlightened
I wanted the UBR/UB3T for long, but I have some thoughts:

If the UBR only difference is the rechargeable batteries, the answer will be simple, get a battery maker(AW or Panasonic) to manufacture high capacity cell only suited for UBR, or in another words, surefire just have to make the battery with their printed logo. That's a no-brainer.

My bet is if they want build the brand new rechargeable flashlight line, they may be looking at the 5.11 quick recharge system with a cradle. Or better, they might look at wireless charging, something like the Energizer inductive charger. That's a lot of research work to be done, re-design of the electronic parts and the tail-cap. Reliability and life-span of the light is a major issue.

I really doubt that Surefire will push out the new line anytime soon, even next year this time. If they just gonna do the battery upgrade only, this will the greatest disappointment of their creativity for the premium brand light.

SoCal5150

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting for the UBR, but am anxious as to how much more of a price difference there will be compared to the $650 (ouch!) UB3T.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's proposed new Li-Ion rechargeable battery body looks set to feature a bespoke removable Li-Ion battery pack. It is so-shaped with a contacts tab/tongue that it will only fit and function in the battery body it is designed for. SureFire will also be offering a "lithium battery magazine" (cradle) for a pair of SF123As that can be used instead of the Li-Ion battery pack.

There is a socket for a plug-in (12V DC) power cable in the side of the body towards it's forward end near the fuel-gauge.

It appears that the R1, UAR, UBR and UNR all feature this same body.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the UBR and the UB3T apart from the rechargeable battery body is it's 4FTC (4-Function-TailCap).
It does not appear that the UBR and UB3T will have any interchangeable components.

Last edited:

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps the biggest difference between the UBR and the UB3T apart from the rechargeable battery body is it's 4FTC (4-Function-TailCap).

Agreed. This 4-function-tailcap in combination with the selector ring is a REAL innovation. It solves more than one one-handed-use-issue. Because of this switch and the possibility to use both rechargeable batteries and CR123's, I'll wait for the UBR.

Also very interested in the UNR Commander and R1 Lawman, with 4FTC.

Last edited: