I'm thinking about getting the Eagletac M3C4

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
I've been thinking about getting the Eagletac M3C4 single XML Should I or shouldn't I.

Your thoughts please.

BTW. I like lights with LOTS of throw with a good amount of flood.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is 2x18650 in parallel size.
Good control ring.
Very good beam performance.
Good choice....

Could also get Olight M3X XML or Thrunite Catapult using 2x18650 in-line.
Surefire M3LT using 2x18650 in-line, has greater throw, but less flood...

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3C4 is one of the best throwing LED lights around. It also has 5 different light levels and is much smaller than others that have the same amount of lumens and throw. Every time I get a light that I think will out-throw it, the M3C4 single XML still wins. The only LED lights I know of that best it are the Olight SR90 (huge, heavy, expensive) and the Lambdalights Varapower XML. The Varapower 3C XML is an awesome light with much better throw and 30 something brightness levels - It is larger but one of my favorite lights. Anyway, barring that light, the M3C4 is a great choice.

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
I'v been looking to replace my (now-malfunctioning) 1st-gen Eagletac M2 triple XR-E R2. It had a great combination of throw and spill. One of the LEDs in the cluster died, however :(

I also have the original M2 SSC-P7 version. I've used both of these lights heavily over the years, and noticed a few things that could be improved.

The clickies are pretty shabby IMHO (both of mine malfunctioned). Also, the composite material they are constructed with cracks easily if you drop the light on that area.

Second, the handle could be much better if it was constructed of 1 or 2 pieces of metal rather then the existing 3.

I guess if you want to attach your clicky, the tail will have to come off so that makes it 2 pieces ... but the two sections (handle and part which threads into the head) should really be one piece for better durability, heat transfer, and water proofing.

In my mind, this is not really a military-grade light just for that reason. There are 2 seals in the handle: between the thread & handle, and handle & clicky. Each have leaked water in my case. The seal between the head and handle occasionally snags on the battery tray, so I have to take out the 4 screws and re-seat it occasionally.

Nevertheless, if you don't plan on getting it very wet, its a good platform which can take the diffusion filter as well as other colored filters.

Make sure your batteries will mate properly with the positive end of the battery tray.

samm

Newly Enlightened
I have the triple led Eagletac M3C4 and the V3 Catapult and I prefer the Catapult by far. I have the Fenix TK-35 also and prefer that to the M3C4, fits better in the hand, smaller size and great flood and throw imo, and looks a little more like a M3C4. There are always trade offs though. The ring to change settings on the M3C4 is the best, better than the Tk-35. I'd give Marshall at Going Gear a call and he can explain all the different details much better than I can. I'm sure you would be happy with the Eagletac. but that Catapult is a monster thrower with nice spill. This is the light Batman would carry, lol. I think Marshall has all the comparasons up at the Going Gear site. Call him, he's super easy to talk to and loves his lights. Let us know what you end up with. I would also get the AW's 18650/ 2900mah batteries, they seem to be the best.

infinus

Newly Enlightened
I have an M3C4 single XML that I'm going to sell if anyones interested. Works great, in good condition. I just got a Scorpion V2. While the ET is brighter and throws farther by a bit I dont' see myself needing both and would rather sell to create more budget for something else. If anyone's interested PM me, I'll put it up on marketplace later this week.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'v been looking to replace my (now-malfunctioning) 1st-gen Eagletac M2 triple XR-E R2. It had a great combination of throw and spill. One of the LEDs in the cluster died, however :(

I also have the original M2 SSC-P7 version. I've used both of these lights heavily over the years, and noticed a few things that could be improved.

The clickies are pretty shabby IMHO (both of mine malfunctioned). Also, the composite material they are constructed with cracks easily if you drop the light on that area.

There was no "composite" material in the M2CX4 (triple XRE) and the M2C4 (SSC P7). The tailcaps were metal as was the whole light. I had both. Also, the clickie on my M3C4 is slighty different than the past versions. The M3C4 clickie is on battery carrier so it is easily replaced if it goes bad (and of course the clickie is optional too). Also, the new tailcap is bullet proof composite. I have dropped mine a few times and had no issue.

Lastly, I've never heard of any M2 or M3 that was ruined from water. I've also not tried swimming with mine so I can't comment on how water proof it is or is not.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the triple led Eagletac M3C4 and the V3 Catapult and I prefer the Catapult by far. I have the Fenix TK-35 also and prefer that to the M3C4, fits better in the hand, smaller size and great flood and throw imo, and looks a little more like a M3C4.

The triple M3C4 is not a thrower - he wants a thrower. The M3C4 triple XML is a flood light while the M3C4 single XML is a thrower.

You may want to look at the new Olight SR51 before making your choice.

It may be a nice light (I have not seen one yet) but it only has 2 light levels where the M3C4 has 5 light levels. The M3C4 also has a slighty larger head so I would guess it still will throw farther than the SR51.

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
The M25 clicky tail on both my M2s were the same material as the brightness adjustment ring: plastic with rubber coating.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be a nice light (I have not seen one yet) but it only has 2 light levels where the M3C4 has 5 light levels. The M3C4 also has a slighty larger head so I would guess it still will throw farther than the SR51.

I have the SR51 but not a M3 so I'm not really sure how they compare but the OP said he wants lots of throw with a good amount of flood and the SR51 has good spill to that is why I mention it. Hopefully we we will see some good lux measurements for the SR51 soon.

I always carry a smaller light in my pocket so even thought a lower low might be good on the SR51 it's not necessary, the hotspot is to intense to be much good for up close work so I would naturally use the smaller light for that.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M25 clicky tail on both my M2s were the same material as the brightness adjustment ring: plastic with rubber coating.

Strange. Mine were metal and the few others I saw were metal. I guess they had different versions on the M2. No worries about the M3C4 tailcap. Somebody had posted the new M3C4 tail is made of a german bullet proof composite. It my be the same material as the control ring on the new too. I just double checked and it does seem like the same material on the M3C4 tailcap and control ring but they are both different than the old control ring.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about getting the Eagletac M3C4 single XML Should I or shouldn't I.
Your thoughts please. BTW. I like lights with LOTS of throw with a good amount of flood.

You need to provide more preferences (e.g., compactness, mult-mode UI type, weight) as this will make your decision easier.
I've had the Catapult XM-L and M3C4 XM-L and both had comparable throw but the versatility, weight and UI of the M3C4 made it a keeper for me.

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
I've owned a Catapult V2 XM-L, and quite liked it for the most part (disliked loosening for low). I recently sold it, and have been trying to choose between the M40C, M3C4, TK35, and SR51. I pulled the trigger on the SR51 today, based mostly on Olight's reputation. The M3C4 was a very close second, however. I guess I like to be an early adopter.