Best 2 x CR123 thrower (for SAR use)

chrisjcorbin

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone:

I looking to upgrade my current light and would like some advice. Here are the features that are most important to me based on my needs:
  1. Uses 2 CR123 batteries (extension tube option for a third cell is fine);
  2. Primarily a thrower (it's for SAR use, so a long throw is critical);
  3. Has a good low setting (preferable <10 lumens); and
  4. Is fully regulated.
Thanks in advance.

Chris

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell little bit more about what kind of SAR missions you need this light for? What kind of terrain the light is used? Dense forest or open fields, possibly in urban environment? Do you use SAR dogs?

As primarily thrower with 2 CR123 I would recommend Solarfore MPP-1 but it is one mode. It is best 2x 123 thrower you can get right now. Other contenders being Tiablo A10 (more expensive) and DEFT which surpasses both (much more expensive and out of production). If you also want low setting 4Sevens Quark Turbo and Fenix TK15 have under 10 lumens setting. But throw will be around 10K lux vs 50K lux of Solarforce and Tiablo.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like I need to get that Solarforce MPP-1
IIRC the Tiablo A9 is better suited to 2 RCR123s. the A10 is a superb light designed for a 18650. I would also suggest EagleTac and O- Light. Its not a big time thrower but recently Ive been EDCing a 2 RCR123 LumaPower Trust2.

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
In that form factor, I use a Surefire LX2 for wilderness SAR. There are brighter lights, and better throwing ones, but I'm not aware of any others that are as good in as small of a package and with SF's reliability.

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite Scorpion

Great light, good thrower due to smooth reflector, really brings out the beast in the Cree XML.

Great low too, can go all the way down to 0.1 lumens if need be which is practically off.

Rotating ring to adjust the brightness infinitely.

cistallus

Enlightened
JetBeam Jet-IIIM - probably in XP-G for best throw, but XM-L gives more light.And, welcome to CPF!

chrisjcorbin

Newly Enlightened
price range?
Any desire for SOS setting?

What are you using currently?

Thanks for helping out. As far as price range goes, somewhere around $100 would be nice. A SOS setting would be nice, but it is not a make it or break it item. I am currently using an old Fenix L2D and it's time to upgrade. Thanks again.

chrisjcorbin

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell little bit more about what kind of SAR missions you need this light for? What kind of terrain the light is used? Dense forest or open fields, possibly in urban environment? Do you use SAR dogs?

As primarily thrower with 2 CR123 I would recommend Solarfore MPP-1 but it is one mode. It is best 2x 123 thrower you can get right now. Other contenders being Tiablo A10 (more expensive) and DEFT which surpasses both (much more expensive and out of production). If you also want low setting 4Sevens Quark Turbo and Fenix TK15 have under 10 lumens setting. But throw will be around 10K lux vs 50K lux of Solarforce and Tiablo.

Thanks for helping out. The vast majority of our missions are alpine and are at or above the tree line. We are often in rocky canyons or on ridelines looking down into canyons or bowls. When we are in the trees, there is little ground vegetation and the trees are widely spaced. We do occassionally team with our dog team, but such joint missions only occur on maybe 1 in every 10 call outs. Thanks again.

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for helping out. The vast majority of our missions are alpine and are at or above the tree line. We are often in rocky canyons or on ridelines looking down into canyons or bowls. When we are in the trees, there is little ground vegetation and the trees are widely spaced. We do occassionally team with our dog team, but such joint missions only occur on maybe 1 in every 10 call outs. Thanks again.

I am have some experience on SAR but in very different terrain. I definitely would go with Solarfore MPP-1 or Tiablo A10/A9 and headlamp combo. Headlamp for seeing where you walk and handheld light with maximum possible throw since you work in area where it is possible to see far. The reason why I asked wheter you use dogs was that when dog is used you shouldn't use powerful lights. They just blind the dog's nightvision and decrease dog's efficiency and make them more prone to injure itself (you may try it yourself, ask your friend to point you with powerful flashlight and try walking in the dark after that).

Edit: You may use thrower when you have dog team with you. Just be very careful not to point light towards the dog or to check where dog is. The dog team is trusting the dog to scent where missing person is. They don't need bright lights, otherwise they could just leave the dog at home.

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
I use a DBS (albeit with an XML and 2 18500s), but you can get one with an XPG pill for 2 123s (3 with extension). Nailbender can also make a pill for you with an XML that would screw right into the DBS reflector and you can have him make it with a lower power board so you can run the 123s safely.