FENIX LD20 XM-L RUMOR!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
How much current does the XML need to emit 330L OTF? Figure ~350 bulb lumens ~ 330 OTF lumens. Can Alkaline AAs keep up with this kind of current draw?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much current does the XML need to emit 330L OTF? Figure ~350 bulb lumens ~ 330 OTF lumens. Can Alkaline AAs keep up with this kind of current draw?

You can work it out roughly using this:
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf

Rough estimates without using a calculator:
A T6 binned emitter,
@700 mA puts out 280 emitter lumens.
350 emitter lumens is, what, 125% of that,
Using the "RELATIVE FLUX VS. CURRENT" chart, 125% output comes in at 900mA.
So I guess Alkalines could keep up at a 350 emitter lumen output, but I always use NiMHs anyway.

Edit, this is calculated just using direct drive. The Fenix would be current stabilised output, so the current draw would depend on the voltage of the cells, and it would depend on how they design the circuitry.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
lets see :) -If it's coming, I'll take one :)

Just emailed Fenix about this. Lets see what they answer.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
That would be awesome. If there will be an LD10 XM-L I will get one, that's gonna be really bright on 14500.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
An XML in that tiny head would have no hotspot at all. It would be a pretty useless light IMO.

Last edited:

HighLumens

Enlightened
They might be releasing an updated LD/PD line of flashlights, all using XM-Ls (I read rumors of a PD32 using it).

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Interesting idea, it would certainly be floody.

My LD20 (premium Q5) is still one of my most used lights although I wish it were neutral white.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not everyone needs throw.

Your quite right. I love my Zebralights which are flood lights. An LD20 with an XML would be WAY more floody than any Zebralight though. 300 lumens, all flood = not much light at any one point = not that useful (with the exception of extreme close up work - it would be great for that but the light is too long for that IMO). I like single AA lights for very close up work.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly turbo of this hypothetical LD20 will work with alkalines. But drawing 3 watts from 2 cells means the regulation is going to be terrible. (diagonally downward sloping, instead of flat)
Fenix knows the performance limitations of alkalines, so high mode (if Fenix continues to only offer 4 output modes) would be the limit of nicely regulated output on alkalines. That would still result in a good 125+ OTF lumens (maybe more if they can source enough U2 bin xm-ls), and little perceptual difference between 330 lumens.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It certainly doesn't... I was just asking if its even possible for 2x Alkalines to produce ~330 OTF of an XML light.

Since when is it a crime on CPF to ask a question?

PCC has some drivers that will generate 1.5A at the LED via just 1V~3V input aka. 1 or 2 NiMH AA cell.

bigC