In Need of a Duty Flashlight

flipsyde

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Less than $300.
I'm flexible, tell me what you got.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Run-time: Not over-inflated manufacturer run-time claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
90-120 minutes (Run-time is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short run-time and Dimmer/long run-time.)
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
I wouldn't mind the possibility of being able to attach different color filters. (Not sure if that's a possibility)
I would prefer a holster able to put onto a duty belt but I could make a clip work also. The ability to attach a lanyard to it would be great.
A Crenulated Bezel would also be great but not a requirement.

I'm very new to the world of flashlights. I have and use a bunch of standard types for every day use and training. It's time to make an investment on a good flashlight that will serve me well.

I appreciate any help and advice that I receive. I've looked over these forums every now and then and since I wasn't able to make a decision on my own.. I now look to the knowledgeable and experienced flashed light users to help me with my decision. Thank you all for your time.

arking2012

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the OLIGHT M3X Triton LED Flashlight with CREE XLamp XM-L LED and 700 Lumens ($139.95). I recently purchased this light and couldn't be happier with its performance. It has three modes High 700 Lumens (1.2 hours) Low 60 Lumens (15 hours) Strobe 10Hz (2.4 hours) and it runs on 3 or 4 cr123A batteries or 2 18650 Protected Li-Ion. The high beam is an awesome thrower and the low beam is great to read a map by. OLIGHT says it throws up to 700 meters but in actuality it's more like 350-400 yards. I purchased mine at battery junction and they were a pleasure to do business with. They ship fast, and had the best price around with free shipping. I was in the same boat as you now are a few weeks ago not knowing which light to purchase but I'm happy with the M3X. It does everything I need it to and more. Heck you can even fight with the light if you have to. Use coupon CPF2011 and get 5% off your entire order. http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m3x-triton.html

001.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Hmmm... what do you mean by 'duty'? If you're a LEO or something similar and your safety is on the line, Surefire LED is an easy recommendation based on dependability issues. They make several two-tier output lights within your income range. The one you pick would depend on whether your're uniformed or plainclothes etc. I had to depend on relatively crappy lights in my earlier years and looking back, wish I had a time machine and could do several buy-overs.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
For a small size, 4.5 inch, easy to carry on your belt, Tactical Light, I would recommend the SunwaymanT20C. It has all the required modes and a very good 438 Ansi Lumens. This is the most rugged TL we tested and it withstood everyting we threw at it. Works on 2 x cr123 and 1 x 18650 LIion.
A little bigger is the TK35 with 820 Ansi lm. Has all the required modes and the best lm for the bug. But a little more heavy to carry around on your belt. Needs 2 side by side 18650 LIion

flipsyde

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to thank you all for the great recommendations so far. There are definitely a bunch of good options out there.

So far I am debating between the sunwayman and the strion led. Both look to have all of the functions I want in a duty light. I'm not sure which one is the brighter of the two. If there are any other lights along these lines, I'd definitely like to look at them. I'm looking for the brightest light with the best throw in these styles that I can find.

Sorry for the slow response. A pipe burst in the condo and created a swimming pool in a couple rooms. This won't keep from getting a good new flashlight though!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Strion LED isn't crazy bright, but it's bright enough for most situations at 160 lumens. Primary lithium batteries are expensive and cheap brands are dangerous (look at the Smoke and Fire board in the batteries section), and since it's a rechargeable system, you'll end up with a less TCO (total cost of ownership) and can "top off" the battery.

Do you want maximum throw? If so, take a look at the Streamlight Super Tac X. The large reflector and 40,000 candela will give you very good throw, but that much brightness may be too bright for close use (I've been blasted by the Stinger DS LED HP's reflection off walls). It uses 2 x CR123.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=221

If you don't mind a bigger light, the Stinger DS LED or DS LED HP are good choices as well.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagletTac T20C2.
You can get exactly what you want, via modules.

The T100C2 is a more budget oriented, cheap enough to lose, but no strobe.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
A little confusing, both the Sunwayman and the EagleTac have T20C (EagleTac with MKII)
Both, in my opinion the perfect lights for Your needs.
Sunwayman has the most, if not all of your 15 points of interest.

notrefined

Enlightened
I would consider...

Malkoff MD-3 with hi/lo ring and M91 or M91W module

If you prefer a surefire-style tactical switch, the surefire switch (Z-41) will work fine on the MD-3. Or, the Elzetta 3-cell host with the malkoff module and their hi/lo tailcap switch, which also gives you the option of a crenelated bezel.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
In addition to the options notrefined mentioned, you could use a Surefire host. The 9P and C3 are both good options. With a light designed for 3 CR123a cells, you can easily use 2 17500 rechargeable cells as an alternative. Flashlights don't get much more bulletproof than a Surefire with a Malkoff dropin, or a complete Malkoff setup.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Surefire Z3 (bored) w/Malkoff M91W running on two 18500's.

I also have a Surefire E1b clipped to the Molle webbing on my vest.

I then have a Surefire M3LT in my kit bag for field searching.

(Plus a few other backups in my bag :whistle:)

I think a Malkoff MD3 with M61 or M91, with the high/low ring and a Surefire Z41 tailcap would suit you well.
Get a couple of pairs of 18500's and you will be laughing!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second on EagleTac T20C2 MkII. It has EVERYTHING you are looking for.

flipsyde

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of the way the sunwayman t20c is set up in terms of getting to all of the different modes and the strobe function. Is this flashlight customizable? Would I be able to make it any brighter? Or are there any other flashlights with a similar tailcap function?

Anyone know how durable the sunwaymans are?

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
We tested several Sunwayman T20C rigourusly.
Fighting with the lamp in my fist against a punchbag for an while, let it drop 25 times from 1.5 meters.
It is still working flawless.

I know You can change settings, but don't know how. It was done for us.
haven't held it under water, but probably will do that also, in a few weeks.
I did take it with me under the shower several times. Had no effect on it.
These test are absolutely not scientific :+) Just to see if it would fail easily.
Real test comes while using it over time.
Can't tell You about that. It is on the market only a few months.